Alarm going off when it shouldnt

Hangeo

I have just started a libre 2 sensor for the first time. I have set the alarm to go off when my BG drops below 4.5 and goes above 13.3. The alarm went off overnight and as a consequence I resolved the situation by taking the normal corrective measure. However my alarm is continuing to go off despite my BG readings being within my acceptable parameters. i. e. 12.2, 10.5 etc. Can anyone explain that please?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which alarm went off?
If it was the low blood sugar alarm, it may have been due to a compression low. Libre (and CGMs) report a false low reading if you apply pressure which can happen at night if lie on your sensor.
The way around this is to apply future sensors somewhere you will not lie on such as slightly under your arm.

I am concerned that you are treating a high or low without double checking. Libres are renowned to be less accurate when high or low. The advice I was given was to trust the Libre at "normal" levels but always double check with a finger prick before correcting.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Hangeo

Which alarm went off?
If it was the low blood sugar alarm, it may have been due to a compression low. Libre (and CGMs) report a false low reading if you apply pressure which can happen at night if lie on your sensor.
The way around this is to apply future sensors somewhere you will not lie on such as slightly under your arm.

I am concerned that you are treating a high or low without double checking. Libres are renowned to be less accurate when high or low. The advice I was given was to trust the Libre at "normal" levels but always double check with a finger prick before correcting.

Hangeo

It was high 16.3. So I administered 2 units of novorapid to rectify the situation, but my alarms continued to go off. This is despite when scanning my sensor it gave me the 'acceptable' BG readings. I have to admit I didn't compare with any pin prick readings.

Gafspa

I’m also new to sensors and I’ve been struggling with false lows.
Now whenever my alarm goes off I’m checking before adjusting/eating as it’s often wrong.

However like you I’ve been trusting the highs!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please please please do not trust the highs. Libre often over reports highs so you risk over correcting and going low.

I get annoyed that we don't get told this as it is so important. It's dangerous if you get it wrong

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please please please do not trust the highs. Libre often over reports highs so you risk over correcting and going low.

I get annoyed that we don't get told this as it is so important. It's dangerous if you get it wrong

Though I agree, back up the errant numbers with your meter. Especially when taking corrective measures.

In my experience. Any high numbers that may possibly occur on the graph are pretty much there with my meter.
I find consistently that the L2 for me need no calibration.
However, dehydration could be a factor with some high off numbers that don't agree with a BG check. (as the body prepares to attempt or is peeing out the excess sugar?)
Thus throwing the sensor reading out with the interstitial fluid..?