Alcohol and eating

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am T1. I know when you have a drink, you should have a snack before going to bed and no insulin, but

1. What if you drink between lunch and dinner, then you have dinner, do you still take the normal amount of insulin, and do you still need to take a snack before going to bed

2. Also if you have a few drinks before and after dinner, what is the situation with taking the normal amount of insulin

3. I presume I take my Lantus at night as usual

Sorry for all the questions, thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A lunch-time session......bliss:)

I would reduce the dinner dose and see how it goes by testing your bg, if need be have that snack before bed just to be sure. It's like most things with type 1 it's trial & error, once you establish what effect something has you can learn from it for future reference.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just got to test and see its effect on you. A couple with lunch you may even need to insulate for the alcohol as you may get a raise in levels depending on sugar content of beverage but not consume enough to have a drop later. If having a few more of an evening just insulate for evening meal, test before bed. If slightly higher don't correct as you may drop through the night. If normal readings have a snack as to counteract the anticipated drop. if extremely high, correct using 50% of what you would normally. By doing this you will then have a better idea what to do next time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers, thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on it

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
When I occasionally have a 2/3 drinks in the afternoon if I'm at a party/wedding, I never have to bolus for the evening meal as by about 9pm - 11pm my BSs start falling very rapidly.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
always take insulin as doctors advise as for alcohol and food I could say diabetics should avoid alcohol but so few listen the problem is alcohol forces sugar levels to rise very fast but what goes up must come down and blood sugars suddenly bounce down very fast with alcohol to avoid this you must eat before, during and afterwards to be truly safe I found that out the hard way and have suffered almost biting my tongue off, memory loss and neuropathy plus many other injuries all through alcohol consumption in my younger days as a diabetic. the rules are simple if you must drink you will go hypo if you fail to eat correctly.