Alcohol And Partying With T1

Alcohol is a bed idea, though partying is a really great one. Once I've had the same issue and I figured out a nice lifehack to be social on parties while not drinking alcohol. I just bring my bottle, and pour anything I like (and can take at the time) before, I do around chatting, making cheers and gnerally having fun, while 1. Staying sober, 2. Being healthy (as much as I can).

Tswa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know this is a dead thread but I really want to weigh in hahaaha
I was diagnosed at 16, now 24. I live in a country that has quite a binge drinking culture.
What I've noticed is that if I drink a lot I go high, then my sugars are heaps lower the next day.
I am also a drunken snacker, so that contributes to the highs when I'm drinking.
Thing is, as a teen/young adult, you want to fit in with your peers and not worry about going low, or eating too much, or if the bartender did use diet coke as a mixer and not normal coke.
So I would just gave myself a night off, within the realms of reality. I've used CGM for ages so I'd just make sure my CGM was on, have a glance at my sugars every now and then to make sure I'm not low, and just keep partying.
Have fun. Don't be stupid. You'll be fine.
PS. Gin, vodka, dry white wine are lower in carb, dark spirits and beer are higher. ;)

Reactions: Jollymon

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I agree with @crystalbrincks, Alcohol is bad news for T1Ds. I was a diabetic teenager before CGM and before glucometers.
And even later when glucometers became available (1980 onwards) there is nothing much worse than seeing someone drunk and in a hypo, with someone trying to get their BSLs up against the risks of the person inhaling vomit, food and liquids into their lungs and knowing or not knowing that a glucagon injection is going to do diddly squat.
Not only were the person's brain cells being destroyed by the alcohol but likely by the low BSLs and the ambulance does take time to get there with iv glucose.
And you will have heard of people being arrested for being 'drunk and disorderly' and thrown in the slammer when in reality they were hypo: either sober, or one had one or two drinks or had alcohol on their clothing only.
Enjoy the party, keep your head on ya shoulders, fit in but keep alert. You have more to lose than most people there.
In case you are wondering, alcohol is formed by yeast and rotting sugary produce. The alcohol has the benefit of keeping away other bugs so that the yeast can have it all. Alcohol is a toxin which has some behaviour-loosening effects before it causes inebriation with increasing doses with increasing risk of injury to one's self and to others (think car accidents) and chronic consumption affects pretty much every organ in the body.
You have been warned !!