Alcohol and Type 1

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

I’m not a massive drinker, i barley drink at all really but on the occasional party or occasion i do like a couple drinks. My usual go too is gin and slim line tonic because that doesn’t effect my blood sugars, does anyone else have any suggestions that also wouldn’t effect my blood sugar? maybe dry white wine? ( not a fan of red ) ?

Thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

I’m not a massive drinker, i barley drink at all really but on the occasional party or occasion i do like a couple drinks. My usual go too is gin and slim line tonic because that doesn’t effect my blood sugars, does anyone else have any suggestions that also wouldn’t effect my blood sugar? maybe dry white wine? ( not a fan of red ) ?

Thanks!

Champagne; a Brut or Brut Millesimie, or an Extra-dry Prosecco. Similarly with Cava.

A dry white wine is likely to be fine too.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately I find champagne shoots my BG levels right up, too much sugar.

Stick to white spirits say gin/vodka, mixed with sugar free mixers so bitter lemon, tonic, ginger ale, personally I drink red wine and find very little impact on my BG levels with this.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Most spirits do not impact my BGs as long as I have diet mixers with them,,,,,,BUT we are all so very different in the way our bodies react with things.....the wisest thing to do is drink and monitor what happens with your bloods. If your bloods go high then avoid that particular drink, it they stay withing range then you have found perfect drink for yourself :)