alcohol type 1

Krisjan

Hi, regarding a type 1, just seeing what the situation is regarding alcohol, I know you are not suppose to have 2-3 units on one day, etc. But occasionally you may find yourself having a good few pints on a night out, is this still possible ? Or should you stick to just 2 or 3 pints on a night out. Don't get me wrong I don't go out a lot, but would like to know the limit i can go - thanks

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Problems with alcohol is that if you drink it, it will initially push sugar levels up, depending on sugar content of alcoholic drink. Eg, ciders have higher sugar content than lagers. Spirit drinks when used with a diet mixer has very little, and better for sugar levels. However, after a while the liver stops producing sugar in order to clear our the alcohol instead, this resulting in a fall in sugars whatever you have drank. Advised not to insulate for alchohol because of this, but, depending whats being drank some diabetics do, bit have a carby snack through the night and at the end of the night. Again, its a very individual thing. Also don't drink to the excess to the point where you don't think straight to test or inject appropriately. Have fun, test regular and don't get too pxssxd lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ridger37

I drink red wine and find it has very little effect on my levels. At first I felt so stupid drinking red wine at clubs but I've gotten used to it (plus if I get too drunk the red wine makes me look a touch classier!). Another option I use is gin and diet coke. Everyone thinks it's gross, but it's really not bad!

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find red wine is ok with me, doesn't raise my levels significantly. But as others have posted be careful for the drop the alcohol can give you even the morning after.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App