Alcohol with type 2

Russell1975

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys/girls

Recently diagnosed with type 2, awaiting correct medication but meanwhile have been trying very hard with correct foods and not drinking, no win a human not a machine so will still have the odd night out.
What are the best drinks for me?
I used to drink Stella, white wine and cider
Please can anyone help educated me on the best of the worse drinks to enjoy please
Thank you all for all wonderful help I have received as I continue to rebalance my life

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Russell - I'm afraid that the answer is not as straightforward as you might like due to the fact that we are all different.

Alcohol usually lowers BG but some find that it goes up first. Personally I find that wine can sometimes lower my BG numbers quite quickly. So you'd need to test your BG before and after to see what the alcohol does to you.

There's some good info on the site..........
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-alcohol.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/alcohol-and-blood-sugar.html

Jo123

Red wine is my tipple of choice, I find it lowers my blood glucose.
I think you need to test and see how different drinks affect you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In general alcohol doesn't have much effect on diabetes, but don't binge and avoid drinks with residual carbs such as cider and some beers

Reactions: 2 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I discovered on holiday recently that vodka and diet coke doesn't affect my BS levels at all (unless BS is short for bullsh1t).

Reactions: 2 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm ok with 2or3 glasses of red wine but my BG can quickly drop at times so be careful, test and test again.