Alcohol

Gill P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im type 2 on insulin and take 200mg metformin per day. I find that if I have a glass of wine or gin and tonic that I end up with griping stomac pains. This happens both on an empty stomach and also when drinking with food. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this should be and how I can stop it. Thank you

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Although it grieves me to say it Gill, I would give up the drink... at least temporarily to see if the pains stop. Best wishes and welcome! :)

Gill P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I have to,say I do only have a drink on rare occasions but would like to understand the cause. Thank you

S

Shar67

Irritation of oesophagus, or stomach, or common bile duct or liver or panc, there is so many things in digestive system that alcholol can damage. Don't drink for at least 6 months then see if it happens again.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im type 2 on insulin and take 200mg metformin per day. I find that if I have a glass of wine or gin and tonic that I end up with griping stomac pains. This happens both on an empty stomach and also when drinking with food. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this should be and how I can stop it. Thank you

I'm a Type 1 so I only take insulin not Metformin, but I would mention this to your doctor in case there's a digestive issue unrelated to the diabetes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would hazard a guess. Acidity in the beverage that is causing the issue..?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Gill P - more than likely it is the acidity in the drinks causing the pain. But it's a good idea to speak with your doc about it. I had to stop enjoying my red wine and ciders because alcohol flares my bladder condition. I was never really much of a drinker, but did enjoy a glass or two with meals at least once weekly. I haven't had any alcohol since last September when I drank a pear cider and it made me very unwell. So if I do have a drink I pay for it pretty much one way or another. You could have gastritis or anything like that where acidic stuff just causes pain. It just may be a signal your body doesn't tolerate it as well. But safer to get checked. I wish you the best. :)

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm just reading the info from my metformin packet says must avoid consuming alcohol because of the risk of lactic acidosis; i.e. muscle cramps, abdominal pain, breathlessness, weak and unwell!....wish i knew this before i was put on a higher dose since i was always getting cramps and very painful indigestion! :eek: