Type 2 Alcohol

Margi83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are best types of alcohol to drink with type 2 diabetes I only drink once a year on New Year’s Eve and I have a bottle of champagne. Would that be okay to drink? X

Reactions: filly

Laineybod

I like gin with a sugar free mixer like sprite. I believe there are no carbs in spirits so I'm happy to stick to that on the odd occasion I drink.

I don't drink wine so not sure on carbs for that but I guess that's up to you when only once a year and if you feel it is worth it. I still have small amounts of chocolate so it all depends on how your body copes and how you feel.

Happy New year when it comes

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Champagne is a very dry drink so at the lower end of carbs so should be fine, I’m having a couple of glasses with the bells, if you only drink a couple on NYE go ahead and enjoy your treat. Are you on any meds?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
If it's carbohydrates you are trying to avoid Brut champagne is fine, sweeter ones less so. The same with non fizzy white wines. Red wine tends not to be sweet and so is usually OK.
Spirits are OK if neat or with a low calorie mixer. Unfortunately Port and Sherry are high carb as are most beers and things like Baileys and pre-mixed drinks.

Reactions: Paul_

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are best types of alcohol to drink with type 2 diabetes I only drink once a year on New Year’s Eve and I have a bottle of champagne. Would that be okay to drink? X
I'd have a glass or 2 but interspersed with large glasses of water. I find my tolerance for alcohol much reduced since losing weight/lowering bg/ low carbing

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on the type of sherry. Dry sherry is only 0.7g carbs per 50ml serving.
Likewise, white port is much drier and lower carb than the common red port.
Indeed, there are some very nice dry sherries and dry sherry-style Spanish wines available. In Portugal, dry white port is widely served chilled as an aperitif.

If carbohydrate content is the chief concern, your best bet would be spirits like brandy, gin, rum or whisky either neat, on the rocks or with a sugar-free mixer.

I shall be savouring a glass of armagnac with the bells.

Reactions: In Response

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a whisky or vodka with a diet/sugar free mixer kind of guy....unless I want a hangover, then I drop the mixer.

As a general rule in terms of BG, spirits are better than wine, dry wine is better than sweet wine, but all previous options are better than beer. Fortified wines are a mixed bag from what I've read, but no personal experience with these and my BG reaction.