Alcohol

mickbwalsh

Hi

I have just been recently diagnosed with type1 a few weeks ago. Up until now I have always enjoyed a drink at the weekends. From doing a little research beer has a lot of carbs in it. Can anyone tell me if I should give an extra dose of my apridra to cover the carbs in the beer?

Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Alcohol is a subject that crops up here regularly, a quick search reveals over 1700 post where it is mentioned in some way .........as a Type 1 on Insulin you need to be aware of this :

Typically beers, lagers, wines, sherries and liqueurs will have this effect. However, alcohol inhibits the liver from turning proteins into glucose which means you're at a greater risk of hypoglycemia once your blood sugars start to come down. If you have a number of these drinks, you can expect to see a rise in blood sugar followed by a steady drop a number of hours later, often whilst asleep. People who take insulin, in particular, therefore need to be wary of hypoglycemia.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-alcohol.html

The above from our own Community pages. Welcome to the Forum BTW....... :)

mickbwalsh

Thanks

I know i'm goina need to eat before going to bed to prevent a hypo, but say i went out for dinner and had maybe 4 pints, which could be anything up to an extra 40/50 crabs on top of my food. Should I take into consideration the extra carbs and give more apridra, or juts take enough to cober my food?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As I don't use Insulin so don't have your problem I would rather you had words of wisdom from an experienced drinking Type 1 for that answer........ :wink:

There's usually a few around although mostly in the evening time........lets hope someone will be along sometime soon.

Snodger

hey there,

I was just having this discussion with another boozer, sorry, person who likes a relaxing drink, earlier today.

A pint of fizzy lager is about 8g of carbs, about the same as a couple of fresh apricots. A pint of proper beer is about 17g of carbs, about the equivalent of a medium large apple. Cider's similar to ale unless it's sweet, when it's about 25g of carbs, about the equivalent of a large banana.
Wine (unless it's sweet) has hardly any carbs - 2g for a large glass of dry white - do not inject to cover wine. Whisky, gin etc has no carbs.

How to balance this with the hypo risk is the problem, and there's no general rule of thumb because everyone is slightly different - you have to experiment and see what happens. If it helps, though, what I do is this:
1 pint of beer - I usually don't inject. But you might want to - depends on your insulin/carb ratio really.
2 pints of beer - I would inject to cover the second pint.
3 pints of beer - I might inject to cover it. I might not. I would probably have scoffed at least some of someone else's crisps by now, too, so I would probably inject partly for that
4 pints of beer - at this point I would definitely stop injecting. There's enough booze in me now to be affecting my liver into the next day.
any more than that - no. no injection.
Also, if at any point I'm following any of this beer with whisky chasers, NO INJECTION.

As I say, this is what works for me. It may not work for you. I tend to think, if I'm on the beer but starting to feel nicely drunk, I should probably stop injecting.

Don't forget that if you are hungover, your liver will probably still be out of action, so take that into account when calculating next morning's insulin dose. (ie maybe take a bit less, or eat a bit more).

hope that helps. Cheers!

mickbwalsh

Thanks a lot Snodger that really helps.

I do enjoy my drink but was afraid i might have to do without since being diagnosed.

The hospital don't really like to give out advise about how much insulin to take because they say i shouldn't really being drinking more than the 2/3units a day (guidelines).

The first weekend i had a drink my blood sugar was sitting in the mid 20's. If that happened all the time it would probably scare me off drinking.

I'll follow your advise keeping in mind we're all different.

This site is goina be good to educate myself with being diabetic.

Thanks again :)

Snodger

Glad it helped. Let us know how it goes for you, I'd be really interested to know if you end up doing a similar sort of regime or if you need something different.

Snodger.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Mick,

Can't help you with the beer/insulin ratios, as I always drink wine - prefer dry white, but sometimes drink red. There isn't much carb in wine, so what I find is the first (largish ) glass drops my BG by about 0.2 m/mol (so negligeable - I don't compensate for this) and the second glass takes it down by a further 0.8 - the more I drink, the further it falls, but the biggest drop is about 3 or 4 hours after drinking, when it can fall by up to 3 m/mol. If I'm drinking with food, I reduce the amount of Apidra I take by 1 unit per 30g carb. I test frequently and eat about 10 to 15g carb before bed. If I'm drinking without food, I don't take any Apidra, but still test frequently and eat some carb if I'm going low. The next morning, I take my basal (Insuman) as normal (even though I might be a bit low on waking), because I find my BG can drift a bit higher the day after drinking. I correct this with extra carb if necessary.

When I first started using insulin, I was scared to drink, but by testing frequently, I found what works for me. If you start with a pint, keep testing and build it up gradually from there you'll be able to judge what the alcohol is doing to your BG and will fairly soon be able to compensate with adjusting insulin and carbs.

I'm suspected type 1.5, and have my own basal insulin mostly working, so it might be different for you, but build the number of drinks up gradually would be my advice.

Good luck

Smidge