Aldi Protein Pudding

Andy0182

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just trying to get my head around certain foods, a learning curve for sure. Im recently diagnosed and currently not on meds, concentrating on losing weight and lowering my carbs considerably, which is working out well so far. Today I stumbled across the Aldi protein puddings and wanted some feedback as to whether this is something I could have as an occasional treat? Thanks!

55D5C79C-C3E1-4185-B721-794C09DC33F0.jpeg
5CBE3F6C-F54B-4AB5-B54C-6ED17CC51CE1.jpeg

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just carefully melt 2 squares of 90% or 85% chocolate and stir in warmed double cream and a little sweetener. Leave to cool, then add a couple of fresh raspberries and mint leaves if feeling fancy. (I use xylitol or truvia for sweetening.)
If you don't add enough cream you'll have less intense chocolate or chocolate paste!

If you want it whipped then add a little full fat milk to the cream and whip that then stir in the melted chocolate and sweetener.

The way I make it a portion is about 4-5g carbs.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would personally try to avoid anything with sweetners in, things may taste 'not so good' at first, but your tastebuds will adjust (for the better) after being force-fed sugar for many years; I hated greek yogurt when I first went low carb, but now love it. I find anything 'sweet' so overly sickly now, like pinching a single chocolate button from the kids, which is good as I couldn't eat anything I shouldn't now without feeling rather 'ick.

As for the 12g carbs - depends what you are aiming for - I try to keep each meal below 25g, so if I was having salad with a piece of chicken/steak, then the pudding would be 'ok', but if I was having a more carby main dish, I would probably just have something with minimal carbs if I 'needed' something afterwards.

I don't have the patience/talent of @TriciaWs so I'd just have some berries with greek yogurt (for the protein) and a square of 90% Lindt on the side ;)

Andy0182

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would personally try to avoid anything with sweetners in, things may taste 'not so good' at first, but your tastebuds will adjust (for the better) after being force-fed sugar for many years; I hated greek yogurt when I first went low carb, but now love it. I find anything 'sweet' so overly sickly now, like pinching a single chocolate button from the kids, which is good as I couldn't eat anything I shouldn't now without feeling rather 'ick.

As for the 12g carbs - depends what you are aiming for - I try to keep each meal below 25g, so if I was having salad with a piece of chicken/steak, then the pudding would be 'ok', but if I was having a more carby main dish, I would probably just have something with minimal carbs if I 'needed' something afterwards.

I don't have the patience/talent of @TriciaWs so I'd just have some berries with greek yogurt (for the protein) and a square of 90% Lindt on the side ;)
Thanks that’s helpful, majority of my meals are under 25g carbs, this was more just a weekend treat idea if I’m craving lol

Reactions: Mrs HJG

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It's difficult when you are first diagnosed, it seems that everything is off limits. Giving yourself a treat every now and then could help you to stick with it.
At 12.4 grams of carbs it wouldn't be disastrous especially if it was had after a very low carb meal. I would have it with a big dollop of double cream to help delay the absorption of the carbs a little, and because most things are improved with a dollop of cream.
Personally I would buy one and experiment to see how it affects me, test before and again 2hr later. Your meter will tell you what it does to your levels, then you get to decide if that's acceptable for you.
One word of caution though, once we give ourselves permission to have the occasional treat,
before you know it , occasionally turn's to regularly, then regularly somehow changes to often.
Carbs have a sneaky way of getting back into our lives without us noticing.

Reactions: filly

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a "chocolate " type pudding base with cocoa powder, erythritol/stevia mix, cream, creme fraiche or sometimes Greek yoghurt, and if necessary pop it in the microwave for a little whizz. I have some little bowls I use for this sort of thing, and don't normally measure or count things, but I do watch my preferred post meal glucose target levels.

Reactions: filly

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
That looks like it would taste nice. I would not eat it as for me it is not clean enough "flavourings" I recall from a documentary can be anything, and there are ingredients ending in ose (sugar), let alone starch. Like others I make my own treats. The below is 99% dark chocolate (the whole bar is a total of 8 grams of carbs) melted with added roasted nuts, chilli powder, cinnamon & ginger spices. I then mix and scoop into a dinner plate and place into the freezer. Once hardened I use a pizza cutter to get into shapes. I have been known to eat two servings. Vanilla extract or similar can be added.

Attachments

• ChocNuts.jpg
    ChocNuts.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Stardew

Stardew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you'll see from this thread, everyone is different!

I have these, and the Lidl ones, as an occasional treat. I eat to my meter so I've thoroughly tested how I react to them, and as a previous poster said, it's not something I would finish a meal with unless it was a very low-carb meal.

I enjoy them and they are lovely.

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
For a sweet each day I live on Lindl's Kavarghs - various flavors, very low carbs per pot, cheapest at Tescos at the moment if you buy 4 at a time. Great flavour and particluarly nice with a dollop of Rodda's clotted cream lol.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 1.png
    1.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 159