Alert bands. An essential piece of kit!?

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya my 8 yr old had a bracelet with engraved plate but cost us 30 quid and didnt last long, just had a look at the medi band website had no idea u could get them like that, much easier and cheaper im going to order one so thanx for the post my son will find this much easier like u he does alot of sport so nice to have one like it plus peace of mind great :D

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting this. I've never had a bracelet because I didn't like the ones available and didn't want something dangling off my wrist but these are great. They're so cheap too so will order different colours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mattbee,

I don't wear any identification jewellery, but do carry a card in my wallet. Any form of identification is a good idea in the event of a emergency.

Nigel

goji

If you've only got one alertable condition then the medibands are a good idea.

I have several allergies as well as diabetes so I bought the cheapest medic-alert bracelet with engraved disc, removed the disc and attached it to some home-made beaded bracelets that look really nice and match my clothes and fit my wrist.

lilibet

If I was ill, Id hope the bruises, puncture holes, insulin in a bag, bg meter and card in my purse which says Diabetes, as well as the In Case of Emergencies being first number in my phone might given it away!! :lol: Appreciate not all T2's (or some T1's) identifiable by this criteria though

Seriously though, I do think about it but havent as yet. I agree the braceless is expensive though so maybe the band would do the trick (though Id likely forget to put in on).Maybe a tattoo is the answer................

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have an ID bracelt in stainless steel with a cadduceus on it and my name and next of kin phone number, plus the simple info "Type 2 diabetic."
I'm not expecting an emergency, but should I be hit by a bus( a considerable risk in Reading where the drivers think rush hour, means "rush"), No one would put me on a glucose drip.
I never take this bracelet off and I'm in the swimming pool twice a week minimum. I don't think it was expensive, probably about £10
Hana

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
What an excellent idea :mrgreen: you can even have the alert embossed on the inside. Think I may order a few 8)

Jenni_1984

you have to have something don't you... When I was diagnosed back in 1990 it was those SOS talismans that were doing the rounds...oh my god. Aged six and I was like Mr T. Needless to say it did not last long.

I have always carried a card in my purse, but recently I bought one of those Alert ID wristbands and joined their service - you pay £20 and all your details are registered with them. In hindsight this was a total impulse buy and to be honest is probably a waste of money as a card that costs nothing does the same thing.

I will definitely check out the band suggested here. Thinking on this from a female perspective I like to change my jewellery so wouldn't wear the same thing all the time so a card in my purse is obviously the easiest.

Jenni

grissom49

I will definetely consider a band now, and like the idea of getting different colours to co-ordinate with different outfits! Some people mention information cards, are there specific ones you can fill out and carry with you, and if so where would I get one?

~shell~

I've been eyeing up the ID jewellery on the icegems website and debating whether £45 is really worth it. I already carry around a card and like liliet said I would also like to think that the paramedics would see the injection sites as a good hint. Saying that I can never say no to something new.
Grissom, you can easily get information cards from your diabetic clinic, just fill it in and stick it with your credit card; it has emergency written along the top so people know what to look for. Or if your feeling creative make your own! aslong as it carries everything the hospital will need to know and it would grab their attention then why not.

Shell
xoxox