Type 1 Allergic reaction to libre sensor

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi has anyone like myself had an allergic reaction to libre sensors .
I have been using them for 9 months off and on and the last three have caused me this allergic reaction so have had to stop using them now .
When I told abbots about it they replied. I should see my doctor and stop using them but no explanation as to why it is happening .it is frustrating as I found them very useful
Many thanks
Lorraine
IMG_4497.jpg

Edited to remove duplicate image

Last edited by a moderator:

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'm also getting an allergic reaction to the sensors but thankfully not as bad as yours. I've emailed Abbott's to ask if it's true that they are changing the formulation of the adhesive in April - I've read somewhere that this is the case. I've also asked how I can ensure I get the "new" version. If I get a response I'll let you know.

Chris.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are a number of threads about this. Many of us develop an allergy after some months of use. I'd be very cautious about continuing to use it after the allergy is that pronounced - there is one case where a user went on to develope an all over rash and was very sick indeed.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-poll-have-you-had-a-skin-reaction.77681/

The above is pretty informative.

Abbott seem happy for the affected users to go elsewhere, they have more than enough customers who don't have issues.

In my case, the allergy combined with the readings becoming completely erratic, so I've given up, though I might try again once the new glue makes it to New Zealand (one year, two years, three years???). Am considering the dexcom G5 (not sure when G6 will be available here).

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Our bodies are crazy things! It’s amazing how they can turn and let you know it doesn’t like something! For you, Libre.

After a fall on the road on my bike I was trying to help heal my skin with neosporin. Then one day it started swelling up. Everywhere I applied neosporin swelled. The fall was an epic one so I was applying it from my shoulder to my forearm. Dermatologist said allergy, so no more neosporin on road rash. I’m use aloe now. Until my body decides it doesn’t like it...

If you wanted to get crazy you could find something to insulate your body away from the adhesive on the Libre. Products exist for this.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never seen one but I assume they use a type of adhesive. It may be that causing the allergy. I had huge marks like that after an operation where the ECG stickers were!

J girl

Hi everyone, lve been using Libre freestyle for a year now in Australia. I have always used it on my belly and not my arm. It works perfectly on my stomach, it never comes off but l always get a rash, so l change the position on my stomach with each sensor. There's more room on your stomach to move it around too. My stomach does look like lve been shot at by a slug gun, but the benefit outweighs the ugly rash, l can live with it. Here in Oz we have just received government subsidy for free Libra for everyone with type 1, except if your working, if your a employed then you pay full price A$200 A month for 2 x 14 day sensors, so lm extremely ****** at the moment that l have to pay while many people get it for free, anyway that's my winge for the day

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone, lve been using Libre freestyle for a year now in Australia. I have always used it on my belly and not my arm. It works perfectly on my stomach, it never comes off but l always get a rash, so l change the position on my stomach with each sensor. There's more room on your stomach to move it around too. My stomach does look like lve been shot at by a slug gun, but the benefit outweighs the ugly rash, l can live with it. Here in Oz we have just received government subsidy for free Libra for everyone with type 1, except if your working, if your a employed then you pay full price A$200 A month for 2 x 14 day sensors, so lm extremely ****** at the moment that l have to pay while many people get it for free, anyway that's my winge for the day

I ignored the advice to stop using it. Ended up with a systemic allergic reaction and anaphylaxis. Have now been on antihistamines for 2 years and I no longer use it. My reactions may be extreme but but be wary.

Nicovander

Hello, I'm a Dutch guy who happened to read your post. I've diabetes and after using the sensor for more than a year I developed a severe allergic reaction to it, just like you. After a prolonged search for a solution I came across a Youtube video from a German guy that shows how to remove and replace the allergic adhesive. I've used his method for over eight months now and it works like a charm. The replacement takes about an hour. By now I've become quite skillful in it.
After removing the sensor from the container you have to take care however to put it back in exactly the same position (it took me a sensor because I didn't do it right the first time). When you cover the sensor with a (Simpatch) plaster it sticks for two weeks to the skin.
Here is the video:
Hope this helps.

Hatcher

Hi , I started using the Libra sensor a year ago and had problems with it falling of or me catching it when it was on my arm , a diabetic nurse suggested trying Stick Tack ( available from amazon) which did improve but not cure the problem , I am now placing sensor on my upper chest and find it stays in place for the 14 days still using the stick tack as a back up as my job is dusty and physical hope this is of some help