Almost hypo for 20 miles today

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long runs are getting longer ahead of my June 1st Race in the Cumbrian Fells, but today's was a bit on the low side for me, a bit too almost hypo.

Followed the normal pattern of a good sized breakfast of a bowl of porridge with dried fruit for 50g carbs, 1 U levemir (normal 3.5), 1 U novorapid (vs 3.5 for that meal) before setting out.

Went like this, testing every 5km

Distance, BG, carbs eaten
Pre 13.5
5km 4.6, 30g
10km 5.1, 13g
15km 4.7, 30g
20km 4.6, 18g
25km 4.6, 18g
30km 4.2, 13g
32km 4.6, 30g plus 0.5U novorapid
+40min 7.8
+70 min 8.2

Looking at that, that's about 40g carbs per hour. Think I need a bit more at the pace I was running, or drop the basal back to 0.5U

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Training seems to be going well, I would always look to reduce insulin rather than increase carbs. You still have time to experiment.

Reactions: 4 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Long runs are getting longer ahead of my June 1st Race in the Cumbrian Fells, but today's was a bit on the low side for me, a bit too almost hypo.

Followed the normal pattern of a good sized breakfast of a bowl of porridge with dried fruit for 50g carbs, 1 U levemir (normal 3.5), 1 U novorapid (vs 3.5 for that meal) before setting out.

Went like this, testing every 5km

Distance, BG, carbs eaten
Pre 13.5
5km 4.6, 30g
10km 5.1, 13g
15km 4.7, 30g
20km 4.6, 18g
25km 4.6, 18g
30km 4.2, 13g
32km 4.6, 30g plus 0.5U novorapid
+40min 7.8
+70 min 8.2

Looking at that, that's about 40g carbs per hour. Think I need a bit more at the pace I was running, or drop the basal back to 0.5U
Fantastic

Have you ever tried using GU https://guenergy.com/gu-energy-gel-faq ?

My gf swears by it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can't reduce it much more. May talk to the DSN this week and have a go next Sunday

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Today I used Bike Food's Gels, I also have Hi-5, not tried GU.

Solids were 9-bars and NAKD bars, I'll also throw in the occaisional handful of dates or a few jelly babies or fig rolls, just to change things up.

Those sound good. I've been using a mix of large raisins, coconut slices and pumpkin seeds

May I ask how much you are using and the split, I'm using premixed 75/25 only 3units in the am and often for an afternoon run I have to eat to raise my levels

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Levemir basal, usually 3.5 units AM, just upped the evening to 5.5 units (from 5) to stop waking up higher than I'd like and a general upward drift to mid afternoon.

Bolus is novorapid at 1unit:15g carbs, adjusted as necessary for exercise.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Levemir basal, usually 3.5 units AM, just upped the evening to 5.5 units (from 5) to stop waking up higher than I'd like and a general upward drift to mid afternoon.

Bolus is novorapid at 1unit:15g carbs, adjusted as necessary for exercise.
Thx
I've been thinking of asking to go off the premix as now I'm about 90g carbs a day mostly stalky veggies

I am going to up my milage, and it seems that it might be easier to adjust. I have a hard time getting the dosage right at night especially after a long training run.

Where you ever on a mix?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, only diagnosed last June, been on those two ever since. Starting pumping later this year to help reduce the risk of these kind of hypos or near hypos in future.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
can't reduce it much more. May talk to the DSN this week and have a go next Sunday
Looks like another half unit may crack it. If I ran 20 miles, I'd be chuffed with those readings TBH :)

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having your evening basal will cause problems when exercising on the day after. only way to combat is extra carbs without being high in the morning, and also after exercise.

Corrected, meant basal

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For my trail & fell running and long orienteering races, I much prefer fruit puree sachets (sold as baby food) over sports gels - they taste much nicer; less sticky and sickly sweet; lids mean you don't have a sticky torn open packet; contain more fluid, so don't need to wash down with water. Ones with banana and / or rice tend to have highest CHO content. Will be using some (predict 3 per 15 mile day) on Great Lakeland 3 Day this coming weekend.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to mix it up myself, and the fruit things are definitely not out of the question. I've tried quite a few of the gels over the years and have discarded quite a few as too thick and gloopy, too sweet, taste nasty, make me feel sick etc. Teh Hi-5 ones are very fruity and not too sticky and the bikefood ones are a nice lockets-like honey and lemon.

The worst by far were a free sample of Zipvit gels that almost needed chewing, they were that thick, adn then the Hammr ones that had an odd tang of ammonia:yuck: