Almost (?) in remission I think.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood test results from last week are in. I had to push the GP to get the tests done as the last ones were in June and they considered October too soon... I pointed out I've been very strict with myself dietwise and need to know it's working - plus I decided to stop the statins and halve the blood pressure meds dose after the last test (stayed with Metformin as I consider it generally beneficial anyway) so needed to know how that has affected things.

HbA1c is now 38, down from 81 at diagnosis in March then 70 in April (which is when I decided to start taking this seriously) and 48 in June.

My cholesterol is up though. Prob as I stopped the statins.

June: 2.9
Nov: 4.8

June: HDL 0.9 LDL 1.4 Triglycerides 1.3
Nov: HDL 1.3 LDL 2.8 Triglycerides 1.5

So I think it's now time to adjust my fat intake (which I was totally unconcerned by whilst I got the carbs/glucose under control).

Weight, by the way, is down about 25kg.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood test results from last week are in. I had to push the GP to get the tests done as the last ones were in June and they considered October too soon... I pointed out I've been very strict with myself dietwise and need to know it's working - plus I decided to stop the statins and halve the blood pressure meds dose after the last test (stayed with Metformin as I consider it generally beneficial anyway) so needed to know how that has affected things.

HbA1c is now 38, down from 81 at diagnosis in March then 70 in April (which is when I decided to start taking this seriously) and 48 in June.

My cholesterol is up though. Prob as I stopped the statins.

June: 2.9
Nov: 4.8

June: HDL 0.9 LDL 1.4 Triglycerides 1.3
Nov: HDL 1.3 LDL 2.8 Triglycerides 1.5

So I think it's now time to adjust my fat intake (which I was totally unconcerned by whilst I got the carbs/glucose under control).

Weight, by the way, is down about 25kg.

Wow excellent HbA1c. Well done.
Bet the doc nearly fell off their chair?
Cholesterol pretty good too at a nice healthy level.
Your HDL and trigs appear to be going in the right direction (HDL up and Trigs down).
In your shoes I"d be very happy and not change anything about my diet.

Reactions: mymuk

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with Bulkbiker, your numbers look fine to me. Congrats on the HbA1C number!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done on your superb A1c and weight reductions. Your initial cholesterol was extremely low, and it looks now more typical of someone eating low carb.

There is no proof that less people who die have high cholesterol, research that Dave Feldman has performed on Nhanes data shows this, as does the research of Aseem Malhotra and Nina Teicholz (big fat surprise). The diet heart / lipid hypothesis by Angel Keys, on which lowering cholesterol is based, is based is still an hypothesis that is consensus backed. This video may be worth a look:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Amazing results all round. Keep doing what you're doing, it is obviously the right way.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow excellent HbA1c. Well done.
Bet the doc nearly fell off their chair?
Cholesterol pretty good too at a nice healthy level.

I've not spoken to them yet as I get my results via the Scottish online 'My Diabetes' service. I suppose the practice nurse might call me at some point.

You're right (as usual) about the cholesterol. I was just reacting to the rise without checking properly. I'm quite satisfied with them now - ratio of 3.65 is not bad at all. I'm certainly not going back on statins.