Alternative injection sites?

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all - I currently inject Novorapid into my tummy and Levemir into the top of my thighs. However, I'm due to have a tummy operation in the next 2 weeks and won't be able to inject into my tummy for at least 6-8 weeks. What are the best alternative sites to inject please? I've tried to contact my diabetic clinic for over a week but they never answer the phone so I thought I'd ask the experts on here! Many thanks for any help you can give.

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

I believe the usual reason for not injecting bolus insulin into thighs is that using our legs affects the absorption of the insulin. I assume, as you are having a tummy operation, you will be resting so you should be able to use your thighs more.

I recently had a tummy operation and found, as long as I avoided the wound, I was able to continue using my tummy for insulin.

The other areas I have read about (but not used myself) are upper arms (aka bingo wings) and bottom. I understand, you should be able to use any fatty areas. Test it out before your op.

Remember to avoid injecting into scar tissue after your operation. This will affect the absorption of the insulin.

I hope your op goes ok and you are able to rest afterwards - I took up knitting and had a couple of weeks of NetFlix and knitting which resulted in a new jumper.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Michele01 Best areas for basal are bum, and your bolus can go into your thighs as long as you can pinch an inch, so grab the skin and as long as it's a fatty area use this, or you can try your lower back for injections, although it's not so easy. In regards to your tummy, you need to be at least an inch away from the scar tissue. Good luck with your operation, hope it goes well :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Backs of your arms is a good location and is the quickest absorption site after your abdomen.

You can use your sides, love handles or whatever you'd like to call them also.

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for your replies. Bum, thighs and bingo wings it is then! Really appreciate your help xxx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you very much for your replies. Bum, thighs and bingo wings it is then! Really appreciate your help xxx
your reply could just about be a type 1 anthem song -- just add a bit of latin music ...................
Bums , thighs , bingo wings -- I can see it getting into the charts ( and Not your DSN checking your results -- LOL )

a bit more serious -- I use arms very regularly -- a bit difficult to do with the amount of hands we have to do it with
also -- love handles are a good place as well

all the best !!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning all - I currently inject Novorapid into my tummy and Levemir into the top of my thighs. However, I'm due to have a tummy operation in the next 2 weeks and won't be able to inject into my tummy for at least 6-8 weeks. What are the best alternative sites to inject please? I've tried to contact my diabetic clinic for over a week but they never answer the phone so I thought I'd ask the experts on here! Many thanks for any help you can give.
Hi Michele, I'm type 1 diabetic and I rotate my insulin sites, I use my tummy, my upper arms and my bottom, I never use my thighs too uncomfortable for me, I find it easier injecting my bottom rather than my arms, hope this helps you out