Type 1 Always COLD!

05rigbyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I am 21 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes around 5 years ago. For the last few years I have been getting progressively colder, I get white finger tips and when I touch anyone else they are so much warmer than me! Even under a thick duvet my feet are often frozen. I know how to control my blood sugars but they still seem to fluctuate (high and low). My last HbA1c was 6.2.

I have been to the doctors multiple times but they say nothing is wrong/ nothing can be done, I am fit and healthy other than this.

Does anyone else have these problems? Any advise/ tips? Am I missing something?​

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it be Raynaud's? That can cause finger tips to go white.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Anemia possibly ? Are you a vegetarian ? I'm suffering from anemia for the last couple of weeks and I'm freezing (its 20 deg C here) most of the time. Yesterday I had to put on my cycle tights , arm warmers , hat and jacket in the office and got some very strange looks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sometimes diabetes can affect the small blood vessels, so this could lead to poor circulation - sometimes leading to numbness, maybe pain as the nerves become highly sensitive - do you have any of these symptoms and have you had your feet checked by a podiatrist? I hope you find out what is causing the problem with a diagnosis and treatment if needed.

Reactions: azure

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I am 21 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes around 5 years ago. For the last few years I have been getting progressively colder, I get white finger tips and when I touch anyone else they are so much warmer than me! Even under a thick duvet my feet are often frozen. I know how to control my blood sugars but they still seem to fluctuate (high and low). My last HbA1c was 6.2.

I have been to the doctors multiple times but they say nothing is wrong/ nothing can be done, I am fit and healthy other than this.

Does anyone else have these problems? Any advise/ tips? Am I missing something?

Have you spoken to your Endorynologist about this? I know many, many GP practices will only test for TSH, which is a bit like only testing for Total Cholesterol; it only gives a general reading, rather than the more specifics of the thyroid function.

Have you looked at your TSH in relation to your other blood tests, like VitD, B12, lipid levels, condition of your skin, hair and so on? Have you taken your core body temperature over a period of time? You can do that most easily in your ear. Does the coldness follow any patterns over each day, almost like a circadian rhythm? Do you eat plenty?

If you haven't already, I would be bringing it up at the next possible clinic opportunity.

Sorry about all the questions, but I "do" questions - usually lots of them!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Raynaud's would be a suggestion I would follow up as well. Hope you solve the mystery sooner rather than later.

Reactions: azure

05rigbyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the reply guys. In response:

azure - It could be Raynaud's but it seems to be my entire body more than just finger tips

Freema - I am not very thin, however I have lost a fair amount of weight (6ft2, 80kg) and don't seem to be able to put weight on. Could my low blood sugars be the cause?

Wurst - Not a veggie and I seem to eat a fairly balanced diet, I also have those problems, literally can't bare being in the office sometimes and have to go to the toilet just to get some hot water on my hands.

Robinredbreast - I don't have pain, numbness, or blue skin or anything like that. Just bloody cold!

AndBreathe - I have heard about this before, perhaps I not getting the proper Thyroid function test, although they seem to take 5-6 blood samples from me so they appear to be testing for quite a few things! With regards to the hair and skin, is this all something I should be testing or my doctor? No patterns really, it is worse when I sit still and often after a walk with my girlfriend I retain heat for ages. Almost like my blood is too thick to move unless the heart really pumps hard! I am a very fit cyclist and have a low resting heart rate, could this cause? Do you think a different exercise would help?

So many questions and yet never a solid answer, my doctor said that some things just are not solvable, all I want to know is will it get much worse!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply guys. In response:

azure - It could be Raynaud's but it seems to be my entire body more than just finger tips

Freema - I am not very thin, however I have lost a fair amount of weight (6ft2, 80kg) and don't seem to be able to put weight on. Could my low blood sugars be the cause?

Wurst - Not a veggie and I seem to eat a fairly balanced diet, I also have those problems, literally can't bare being in the office sometimes and have to go to the toilet just to get some hot water on my hands.

Robinredbreast - I don't have pain, numbness, or blue skin or anything like that. Just bloody cold!

AndBreathe - I have heard about this before, perhaps I not getting the proper Thyroid function test, although they seem to take 5-6 blood samples from me so they appear to be testing for quite a few things! With regards to the hair and skin, is this all something I should be testing or my doctor? No patterns really, it is worse when I sit still and often after a walk with my girlfriend I retain heat for ages. Almost like my blood is too thick to move unless the heart really pumps hard! I am a very fit cyclist and have a low resting heart rate, could this cause? Do you think a different exercise would help?

So many questions and yet never a solid answer, my doctor said that some things just are not solvable, all I want to know is will it get much worse!

It sounds like your team are doing lots of tests and may well have done these additional tests that are sometimes missed.

The reason I asked about hair and skin is apparently for those with thyroids running a bit "off", their skin and hair can be come drier.

You ask, "Could my low blood sugars be the cause?". Have you ever tested when you feel cold? If so, that might help with a clue (or be a red herring!) Your HbA1cs doesn't look too low.

Sounds like you need to keep keeping on, and if you're not discussing this with your Endo, it could be an idea to do so. And in the meantime, buy more sweaters, with the winter coming on!

(As I say,.... I "do" questions.)

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Are you possibly a soft southerner living in the North?