Always glucose intolerant ?

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 (ten years) and take 500 mg metformin X 2 per day, recently reduced from 3 after HbA of 5.7
I am trying through diet and exercise to get to a position when I can come off meds altogether, something that many of you have achieved. My question is whether one is still glucose intolerant after you have achieved desired weight and bg readings are normal etc. Has anyone tested this please ? thanks tonyo49

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on the individual, unfortunately. No one can predict whether it will work for you, or not.

There are so many variables. Your T2 may not be caused by visceral fat, and if it is, you would have to lower your weight below your personal fat threshold - but you won't know where that is until you reach it, which might require getting very skinny indeed. There are other factors involved as well, including length of time since you developed diabetes.

Congratulations on your progress so far though! Weight loss and meds reduction are no small achievements. :D
I suggest you keep going, reaping the benefits, and if your glucose intolerance improves, then you can be even more delighted. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal experience has been good. Since swapping to LCHF 10 months ago I've lost 8 stone in weight and my HbA1c has come right down even though I've come off Metformin. During my time on LCHF I've only had a handful of high carb meals, but have found that my bg isn't spiking anywhere near as badly as it used to :cool:.

This weekend for example we went out to Frankie & Benny's for dinner for my daughter's birthday (her choice of venue) and faced with difficult LCHF choices I made the decision to have a pizza as a special treat. It was lovely and my bg was only 7.8 at one hour and 6.4 at 2 hours. It's not something I think I could do often, but it reassures me that I can eat higher carb occasionally now :joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My personal experience has been good. Since swapping to LCHF 10 months ago I've lost 8 stone in weight and my HbA1c has come right down even though I've come off Metformin. During my time on LCHF I've only had a handful of high carb meals, but have found that my bg isn't spiking anywhere near as badly as it used to :cool:.

This weekend for example we went out to Frankie & Benny's for dinner for my daughter's birthday (her choice of venue) and faced with difficult LCHF choices I made the decision to have a pizza as a special treat. It was lovely and my bg was only 7.8 at one hour and 6.4 at 2 hours. It's not something I think I could do often, but it reassures me that I can eat higher carb occasionally now :joyful:
Wow what a journey @Alzebra and in such a short time, thanks for encouraging response (love your profile photo btw that could be me on the right - cept I'm a bloke!)

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on the individual, unfortunately. No one can predict whether it will work for you, or not.

There are so many variables. Your T2 may not be caused by visceral fat, and if it is, you would have to lower your weight below your personal fat threshold - but you won't know where that is until you reach it, which might require getting very skinny indeed. There are other factors involved as well, including length of time since you developed diabetes.

Congratulations on your progress so far though! Weight loss and meds reduction are no small achievements. :D
I suggest you keep going, reaping the benefits, and if your glucose intolerance improves, then you can be even more delighted. :)

thanks @ brunneria haven't lost that much yet having just started! My HbA came down when I increased activity so Dr reduced meds. That gave me incentive to continue and try and get off them. Just wondered if anyone had taken glucose tolerance test and found that they were now in the normal range

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow what a journey @Alzebra and in such a short time, thanks for encouraging response (love your profile photo btw that could be me on the right - cept I'm a bloke!)

I should have mentioned that I'm still quite a long way off my target weight, current BMI still classes me as obese - though it won't be long until I'm "just" overweight! :rolleyes:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks @ brunneria haven't lost that much yet having just started! My HbA came down when I increased activity so Dr reduced meds. That gave me incentive to continue and try and get off them. Just wondered if anyone had taken glucose tolerance test and found that they were now in the normal range

Yes me, but I'm weird!
I've had a prolonged oral glucose tolerance test many times.
And yes, my levels are in the normal range, always!