Type 1 Always hungry all the time?

Danielle Rafter

I've been hungry a lot more than I should and I can't stop the cravings for food like a Donner kebab and right now I'm making myself hungry through typing this omg GIMME FOOD!

I love food is the best thing, McDonald's after college or dominos for lunch (pepperoni pizza with chicken strips) omg that combination is heaven. Through being a type 1 diabetic I didn't think you could get hungry like I'm feeling.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Danielle Rafter, I believe pregnancy can alter one's appetite - sometimes with strange liking of unusual foods.
I rationalise it as the body knowing what is needed for the unborn babe and mother.
Information of growth of the unborn children (diabetes education pamphlets etc) shows that growth in physical size occupies the (approx.) 13 th week to the end of pregnancy - so requirements for energy, carbs, fats, protein, minerals and vitamins all increase as do insulin requirements. Your health team will know how to advise you on whether any alterations to correction factors and insulin sensitivity etc are required, or perhaps upping basal rate etc. They can aid your challenge to keep BSLS in range and advise about mineral and vitamin supplements. Often a blood test for iron levels etc may be done at about the 28 to 30 week mark, or sooner if you are more tired than expected. (or so I have read).
Use of your pump and CGM are likely to be a godsend in achieving the best BSLs.
Enjoy the excuse to eat more (if that is allowed)!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I get very hungry if running too high.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you possibly making the mistake of thinking when on insulin you can eat fairly freely with no effect? If you are having too many carbs that may (or may not) be the cause. Ensure you have enough fat and protein with the lowered carbs to smooth the conversion to glucose in the body. You could be like my wife who is just genetically programmed to have a permanent appetite and she just has no choice but to use strong will-power.

Reactions: zand

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Until I reduced my carbs and increased my protein intake I would develop this hunger when BSLs reached about 9 mmol/l and up. But at about 14 mmol/l the nausea used to outweigh the hunger. This 'hyper' hunger was like a feeling of tiredness and the need to eat to relieve that tiredness.
'Hypo' hunger was different. It was an insatiable feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt like I could eat the house out of food.
With both types of hunger the sad thing was that eating too much in both instances was not good.

Reactions: karen8967

Danielle Rafter

Hi @Danielle Rafter, I believe pregnancy can alter one's appetite - sometimes with strange liking of unusual foods.
I rationalise it as the body knowing what is needed for the unborn babe and mother.
Information of growth of the unborn children (diabetes education pamphlets etc) shows that growth in physical size occupies the (approx.) 13 th week to the end of pregnancy - so requirements for energy, carbs, fats, protein, minerals and vitamins all increase as do insulin requirements. Your health team will know how to advise you on whether any alterations to correction factors and insulin sensitivity etc are required, or perhaps upping basal rate etc. They can aid your challenge to keep BSLS in range and advise about mineral and vitamin supplements. Often a blood test for iron levels etc may be done at about the 28 to 30 week mark, or sooner if you are more tired than expected. (or so I have read).
Use of your pump and CGM are likely to be a godsend in achieving the best BSLs.
Enjoy the excuse to eat more (if that is allowed)!!!!!!!!

Earlier this year I found out I was loosing weight through not putting enough insulin in for when I am eating because insulin makes you put on the fat you need but my mum thought I could get diabetic anorexia and I started to get scared because my mum showed me the documentary of these beautiful girls who thought they looked fat and they didn't put their insulin in but now I have gaining the weight I need so that's good

Danielle Rafter

Until I reduced my carbs and increased my protein intake I would develop this hunger when BSLs reached about 9 mmol/l and up. But at about 14 mmol/l the nausea used to outweigh the hunger. This 'hyper' hunger was like a feeling of tiredness and the need to eat to relieve that tiredness.
'Hypo' hunger was different. It was an insatiable feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt like I could eat the house out of food.
With both types of hunger the sad thing was that eating too much in both instances was not good.

I hardly ever used to eat much but now I feel like I could eat atleast 2 Donner kebabs to fill the hunger cravings but it's worse when I'm low because I feel like a monster/demon looking around the house for good and it's tiring and it makes me feel like I can't move half the time and my dad thinks that I'm being lazy half the time but I keep saying that I can't move when I'm low in case I collapse and I don't want that to happen again

Danielle Rafter

IMG_1537790264.654510.jpg

Trying to gain weight but having one of the most fat milkshake because I'm a really skinny teenager and also eating chocolate and also it feels like my body wants me to eat fatty foods like McDonald's dominos and Donner kebabs haha love my food.

I love chips and gravy and crunchy chips lol I love chicken strips with gravy from KFC im making myself hungry like omg I want some haha not fair because the nearest KFC is miles away