Type 1 Am I actually Type 1?

lolabunny876

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 6 years. My “honeymoon” period lasted for 4 years. I had no insulin whatsoever during this time and although I ate a low carb diet, I wasn’t extremely strict with it as I was at uni at the time and cared less about my general health. Nonetheless, all my Hba1c results were under 6.9%.

I then went on insulin 2 years ago after a good few months of eating poorly, and just assumed my honeymoon period had ended. From here on out I started eating how I wanted and taking my insulin as required. I also gained quite a lot of weight during this time.

Recently, I decided to go back on a low carb diet as I was finding my diabetes management was poor and I wanted to lose some weight as I was suffering some insulin resistance here and there. I also cut out alcohol, vaping and cut back on caffeine drastically. I started this low carb diet around 6 weeks ago and I’m currently 74kg (I’m 5’11). For the last week I haven’t needed any insulin whatsoever and I always fall back to around 5/6 mmols and stabilise there. I thought yesterday I’d experiment by eating a chocolate bar just to see what would happen. Although my blood sugar did spike up to 11 mmols, within 2/3 hours it had dropped back down to 6 mmols.

I’m very confused, am I ‘cured’? Am I even a type 1 diabetic? I’m of course going to keep up my low carb diet - I feel way better for it anyway - I just have no idea what’s going on lol.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What are you prescribed insulin wise.? (Any other pill meds?)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

Lantus & novorapid, I’ve never been prescribed any other diabetes medication
Oooh, hello?

Yep I use Novorapid.
But,
Lantus, I use I also use Lantus. Been T1 for 46 years. My activity during late evening & night. (Member of a band.) Can lead me to believe using my sensor & meter long after the basal has tailed or even worn off cruising most gig nights twix 4.8 & 5.5.
Only rising a little in the 6s driving back. Maybe liver dump. Stress, not realy a fan of driving..

I also keep the carbs down… what numbers are your seeing & when? When do you inject your Lantus?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m very confused, am I ‘cured’? Am I even a type 1 diabetic? I’m of course going to keep up my low carb diet - I feel way better for it anyway - I just have no idea what’s going on lol.
From your old thread it looks like your history with diabetes hasn't been straight forward: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1-confused.108488/
I'd be very curious in your case as to whether the T1 diagnosis was correct in the first place.
Apart from T1 and T2, there are some other types of diabetes as well.

Reactions: oldgreymare

letsgo182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a read into type 1.5 diabetes and LADA. Might be you fit in that bracket.

Fwiw if you are healthy and have a routine that works for you, don’t worry too much about the label :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @lolabunny876 in your position I'd push for some more tests from your diabetic team. If you are technically a T1 I believe you can ask for a referral to a hospital consultant,

I have no idea what type of diabetes you have (and forum rules wouldn't allow me to diagnose if I did).

But the Scottish study where they tested 860 of their outpatient T1s for cpeptide led to rediagnosis for 6.8%, (T2 or MODY ) so I would suggest you push your team for a cpeptide test at the very least. I guess a T2 diagnosis is covered by your low carb diet but MODY (and I'm not saying you have that) does actually have a wide variety of different treatments so it would be worth having the diagnosis if it applied to you.

Good luck

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take a read into type 1.5 diabetes and LADA. Might be you fit in that bracket.

Fwiw if you are healthy and have a routine that works for you, don’t worry too much about the label :)
1.5 and LADA are variants of type 1. The main difference being that they are a slow onset, maybe even over years rather than the very rapid onset typically associated with type 1.