Am I being discriminated Because of my TD1 ?

JD89

Today I went into work and there was a buzz about the office due to people getting a pay rise, and quite a substantial one. After checking my pay slip, I discovered that I was not getting one. I was not the only person, a lady who has recently beaten Cancer and is now in remission and a lady with Fibromyalgia on my team were also given the bad news.

Understandably we were confused as this a performance based annual bonus and so I checked with My Team Leader who states that absences now contribute to the decision as to wether we get a rise or not. Within the last 12 months I have had two periods of absence. The first one was 1 day due to a hypo and feeling generally awful and the second was for 4 days due to being hospitalised due to a serious kidney infection and unmanageable high glucose levels. All together I have had 5 days sickness in the last year.

If I did not have diabetes, I would not have had any absence. I don't see five days absence, even for a healthy person as being excessive.

I was told that HR had informed management that I was not to be given the rise due to my absence. I understand rise's are discretionary, but I can't help but feel annoyed that this has happened especially when there are people in my office who have been off for a longer amount of time, but still have received the rise.

Do you think I and others with these underlying conditions are being discriminated against? Any support would be appreciated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, what a terrible situation to be in @JD89 , I feel for you, especially being hospitalized with a kidney infection :wideyed: Type 1 is hard enough at times without being discriminated against, especially in the work place. Have you contacted your diabetes team about help and advice with your diabetes, or your GP, as this will show that you are being responsible( I'm sure you are) and that you are trying to look after your diabetes.
Here are some links that may be helpful :-

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/discrimination-workplace

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/migration/pdf/Employment-advocacy-pack-2013.pdf

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline/your-rights

You could talk to your HR, also, do you have a union at your place of work ? I hope you get the support you need, take care.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear what you've been through- I think 5 days absence in a 12 month period is more than acceptable- I can't add anything to the great advice @Robinredbreast has given you but I just wanted to add my support (())

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are being discriminated against and that's awful.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I went into work and there was a buzz about the office due to people getting a pay rise, and quite a substantial one. After checking my pay slip, I discovered that I was not getting one. I was not the only person, a lady who has recently beaten Cancer and is now in remission and a lady with Fibromyalgia on my team were also given the bad news.

Understandably we were confused as this a performance based annual bonus and so I checked with My Team Leader who states that absences now contribute to the decision as to wether we get a rise or not. Within the last 12 months I have had two periods of absence. The first one was 1 day due to a hypo and feeling generally awful and the second was for 4 days due to being hospitalised due to a serious kidney infection and unmanageable high glucose levels. All together I have had 5 days sickness in the last year.

If I did not have diabetes, I would not have had any absence. I don't see five days absence, even for a healthy person as being excessive.

I was told that HR had informed management that I was not to be given the rise due to my absence. I understand rise's are discretionary, but I can't help but feel annoyed that this has happened especially when there are people in my office who have been off for a longer amount of time, but still have received the rise.

Do you think I and others with these underlying conditions are being discriminated against? Any support would be appreciated

Hi @JD89 ,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you are feeling discriminated against in your place of work.

I feel you should speak to your HR department directly on this matter.
From my understanding of what you have written, it looks more like a performance related bonus than a generic pay rise?
Which could come under a different criteria than an actual pay scale review..

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed