Am I being impatient or unreasonable about my hba1c results??

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Notwithstanding not having children myself, if it was part of her job, and she had been appropriately trained, I would accept it. In our lifetimes, many folks have access to our personal, and sometimes medical data.

You might be surprised what does, and doesn't fall under the category of "sensitive data", in the DPA.

Yes, we agree, if it's not part of their job to give test results to patients, that should be respected.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we agree, if it's not part of their job to give test results to patients, that should be respected.

Nobody said they should break the rules. That's my final say on it.

Again, @Terryrhino , I'm sorry this seems to have drifted well off-topic. I hope you can achieve online access soon. It really is very good.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get my blood results online but then I have never asked to as the surgery is only at the bottom of my road so no problem. I always have my blood test when I am due to see the nurse for a diabetic review and I usually see her a week after the blood test so she tells me the results then. Even if they were available online I would not have a clue how to interpret the results apart from the BG level

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it's a two way street.
My surgery is excellent.
But, the receptionist is not qualified to give results, in person, or over the phone.
One accidental, 'oh dear', or 'I wouldn't worry', and the results have a whole new meaning.
So, I don't try to force them if they don't feel they should be working outside their job.
As to getting the results, previously, there are two slots twice a week, when I can phone up for results, and speak to a nurse. It's not an ad hoc system, they have other responsibilities. If I keep to the rules, I had no problem asking for a printout to be left in reception that I could pick up later.
Only qualified staff can give results, verbal, printed, or in any format.
Now I can access it online at my request, I get results the day after the test, without needing to bother them.
The system is well supported, I went in with a family member this week, made an appointment to see the doctor, asked for access, by the time they went in, the request had been reviewed, they had been given access, and could see their results and ask the questions they needed to.

I find it far better to treat all the surgery staff with respect, and I find I get treated the same way.
Then again, I also think I need the surgery, a lot more than they need one more awkward patient.
I agree I always treat the surgery staff as I expect to be treated myself with curtesy and respect.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
No, you aren't being unreasonable! They are YOUR test results.
Just keep pushing, and try and get that online access (you will need to sign a form and provide some ID and suchlike, but all English doc surgeries have been obliged to provide the service since last April).
Sorry, it's not as simple as that. I'm signed up for online access, but all I can see is my injections/inoculations. I asked about viewing other stuff and was told "not available yet". I asked about blood test results and was told " we didn't sign up for that". So I expect the unhelpful surgeries will continue to get away with poor service.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Nobody said they should break the rules. That's my final say on it.

Again, @Terryrhino , I'm sorry this seems to have drifted well off-topic. I hope you can achieve online access soon. It really is very good.

Yes, you said you agreed earlier, the receptionist shouldn't give results if it's not their job.

The topic appears to come up quite frequently.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree I always treat the surgery staff as I expect to be treated myself with curtesy and respect.

Yes, and has been said, they may not even be allowed to access the results under the data protection act.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In scotland we have an online system called my diabetes my way which once you've registered gives you access to all your blood results, not just Hba1c and also explains what levels they should be at. It keeps a record of all your meds and and you can manually add in your daily glucose levels as well if you want. Blood results normally show in 24-48 hours so no need to chase anyone. Does NHS England offer anything similar?

Reactions: Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes.
I can access all my test results, consultations, vaccinations, any diagnosis, all my meds, and also order them online.
It's a very comprehensive system.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, NHS England told all surgeries to get all results, consultations, medications, appointments, repeat prescriptions, immunisations, allergies, and other stuff on-line by April 2016, but not all surgeries have done it yet. I think most have.
I don't know what Wales and NI are doing. I can see all mine within about 24 hours.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, NHS England told all surgeries to get all results, consultations, medications, appointments, repeat prescriptions, immunisations, allergies, and other stuff on-line by April 2016, but not all surgeries have done it yet. I think most have.
I don't know what Wales and NI are doing. I can see all mine within about 24 hours.
Not mine we can phone for blood test results every weekday from 4.30pm and we can make appointments and order repeat prescriptions online but that's it

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and has been said, they may not even be allowed to access the results under the data protection act.
That is quite likely that some receptionists may not be allowed to give results I do not think that is a requirement of surgeries that the receptionist has to give blood results to patients but some people seem to get very up tight about it if they don't. I personally prefer to hear my results from my doctor or nurse who can explain it to me.

Reactions: douglas99

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is quite likely that some receptionists may not be allowed to give results I do not think that is a requirement of surgeries that the receptionist has to give blood results to patients but some people seem to get very up tight about it if they don't. I personally prefer to hear my results from my doctor or nurse who can explain it to me.

I'm the opposite. I prefer to know my results before seeing the nurse so I can prepare properly beforehand. Added to that, I have 6 monthly blood tests but only see the nurse annually. I'm certainly not waiting 6 months to know my results! The on-line innovation is brilliant.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Barbara - I had to ask for extended access to see my patient record, rather than just the prescription details (I have nothing on there), and the ability to make appointments. Once I had done that (I chose to do it in writing, then we both had a record of it), it was enabled in about 24 hours.

Could be worth asking again?

Ooh, thanks! I only joined the practice in August, so if they did enable it when they were supposed to, it should be there. Mind you, I asked for the last couple of years results assuming they'd been transferred with my records..... but they don't seem to have done that yet.

Reactions: Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, thanks! I only joined the practice in August, so if they did enable it when they were supposed to, it should be there. Mind you, I asked for the last couple of years results assuming they'd been transferred with my records..... but they don't seem to have done that yet.

Barbara, my Practice don't advertise/promote the online service, so without asking for it, I wouldn't have got it. Personally? I'd ask the direct question.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wrote to my practice manager too but didn't get a reply. I went into the surgery and spoke to the receptionist (she said the practice manager wasn't in that day). The receptionist said I had to read and sign the release/consent form which I did.
I will chase it up when I get home next month.
Well I went into my surgery and spoke to someone I think was the Practice Manager. I said it was six months since I requested online access to my records and they still weren't accessible. She said that there had been a problem with some of the early requests, resulting in them not being put online. I filled in another request and release/consent form. That was two weeks ago and they still aren't online.
I rang today, and seem to have been transferred to an enquiry centre. The person I spoke to didn't seem to know why the records weren't online. First she said that no records were online yet. I said that they should have been accessible ftom last April, and others were. Then she said that the Practice Manager at my surgery was on holiday, and would be back on Monday, and she would ask her to ring me. I shall wait and see.