Am I Diabetic??

hlgambi

For while I have been experiencing pangs of feeling really thirsty, i go to the toilet a lot mostly through the day. My skin itches alot, and keep getting recurring yeast infections. Should i be checked

MAMA2X

Yes I think you may very well be the symptoms are all there. What is your general diet like because you may be able to keep thinks better under control with a few changes. I would get yourself of to the GP and get some tests done. You are far better getting a proper diagnosis and then you know what has to be done.
Take care

hlgambi

Thanks for your reply. I dont get these symptoms all the time. But they are becoming more frequent. I have been tested before, and it came back ok. Am I at higher risk because my sister suffers with gestational diabetes. I am due to see my GP on the 13th.

hlgambi

I notice you have only been diagnosed for a year. How did you feel before you were diagnosed. I generally feel ok, most of the time. I do get dizzy spells sometimes. Did you feel dreadful all the time????? :?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hlgambi said:
For while I have been experiencing pangs of feeling really thirsty, i go to the toilet a lot mostly through the day. My skin itches alot, and keep getting recurring yeast infections. Should i be checked

If you believe you may be diabetic, visit your GP and he/she will arrange tests to confirm or dismiss the possibility of you being diabetic.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Best thing to do is to see your GP. A lot of the symptoms for diabetes, can relate to other conditions or infections. Your GP can rule out diabetes with a BG test or with a urine test. They can also then check for any other condition that it could be. If you have particularly low immunity, that could be why you're experiencing infections.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, most of those symptoms could be diabetes including the yeast infection which is a very common indicator due to sugar in the urine. Many pharmacies will do a simple blood sugar test but obviously you should visit the GP. In the meantime keep the carb intake lowish and go for low-GI types to help reduce your blood sugar if it's elevated and won't do you any harm it it turns out to be normal.

richardinglis

Best advice for anyone who has a suspicion that they may be diabetic, i.e showing the recognised symptoms is to visit a chemist who do free glucose tests. quite a few do, Lloyds do one and they will do a quick and simple finger prick test. if its high then make an appointment with the GP, if its normal then it could be something as simple as the weather dehydrating you, this happens a lot in winter, more than people realise, you drink more and go to the toilet more. alcohol, caffeine and sugar all dehydrate the body as well in people without diabetes so it may be nothing to worry about.

as for yeast infections, again a multitude of reasons can cause that.......

GP's are always overloaded at this time of the year so a 5 minute visit to the chemist will let you know if you need to see a GP or not.