Am I diabetic?

sweetie1

Dear all,
I have just landed on this site.
I do hope you can assist me prior to my visit to my gp in a couple of days.
well, for the past couple of days i have managed to do little other than sleep. i had to order my son pizza twice this weeked as couldnt cook.
this morning i could not go to work. i took my son to school, came home and slept.
i fell on the nhs diabetes site as i had a friend bring my son home for me and also a bottle of lemonade.
as soon as i had drunk a glass of lemonade my sight improved, my concentration improved, my mood lifted and i dont feel exhausted.
i thought i was suffering from flu. i was worried and frightened for my family and my job.
i appreciate your comments.
regards

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hello,

If your only symptoms are just being tired, then you are probably not diabetic.

If your tiredness is accompanied with exessive thirst (you just can't get enough) and visits to the loo 5 or so times through the night, and at least once an hour during the day, then it could be diabetes.

In the mean time, if you are thirsty... dont ignore it, drink plenty of water (not lemonade, esp non diet lemonade).

Have you considered anemia? This can make you very tired too.

If you are really concerned about it being diabetes and can't wait for the Dr appt, pop down to your local pharmacy and buy a blood glucose meter, it wont cost you more than a tenner. Test your blood in the morning when you wake up (a fasting test) if it's over 7 then you could be diabetic. For a non diabetic i think typically your fasting sugar level should be about 5.

Good luck.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sweetie1,

While diabetes is a possibility, no-one on the forum can diagnose it over the internet. As stuboy suggested, your GP or even some pharmacies can do a quick 5 second blood test that will help narrow down a diagnosis. Fingers crossed for you in the meantime.

All the best,

fergus

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you'd been sleeping a lot of the time and not drinking regularly then maybe you were a bit dehydrated, hence the lemonade helped. If you were diabetic, the sugar in the lemonade would've made you feel worse not better (unless it was diet).

Thyroid problems can also cause extreme tiredness.

sweetie1

thank you kindly guys.
i have been to the loo more than usual and so very very thirsty. perculiar dry mouth. i found myself drinking sweet tea. i rarely drink anything besides water.
how do you think that after the glass of lemonade my sight improved, mood lifted and no longer felf painfully tired.
am really hoping that i am not diabetic and shall really do something about my ignorance to diabetes

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
you may have had low blood sugar combined with tiredness (caused by almost anything else) and the sugar in the lemonade could have improved your general sense of wellbeing.

however, I don't think everyone reacts the same way, and going to the doctor for a blood test will most definitely be the best first course of action.

don't take this wrong when I say I hope we don't see you back!! unless it's to say "Hey thanks I'm not diabetic" ... but if you do need to comeback, rest assured there are lots of smart people on here who can help you find your way :)

Jem x