AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I'm on Metformin 850mg twice a day and Gliclazide 80mg twice a day, i've been low carb for nearly four weeks,no weight loss infact its gone up 2lb,i've shown my doctor my results for my blood sugar testing and what i've been eating,she's told me to see my diabetic nurse,i'll see her thursday,all she said up to now is eat carbs,my blood sugar readings for last few days are 11.4 two and a half hours after scrambled eggs breakfast,10.4 after two and half hours after eating all green veg and fish,this morning it was up to 12.1 after egg breakfast and so it goes on like this i know the readings are too high.The doctor was trying to get me to wait till my next three monthly test but thats not till May,i'm i right going to my D.Nurse before then,also i have a few extra Merformin than i need this month was thinking of taking an extra one as the instructions inside pack say's you can go up to three just to see if it makes a differance.In the week the chemist made a slip up with my Gliclazide and i had ran out so for the evening pill and morning one i had to do without and my blood sugar test wasn't any differant to if i had took them,shan x

C

catherinecherub

Hi shandromeda,
Seems odd that your blood sugars are still high considering the diet you are following. I would have expected to see a fall in them by now. How high were they at the start? Any drinks, fruit etc. that may not be suitable?

Has your thyroid function been checked? http://www.thyroiduk.org/ is a good site to investigate any problems regarding your thyroid that you may not be aware of.
Make sure you take your food diary and readings with you on Thursday and let us know what happens.
I can only suggest you don't give up on the diet and see if things improve soon.
Regards,
Catherine.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thanks Catherine,i've had my thyroid tested came back fine,i was eating some berrys but not for the last two weeks and i have one plain coffee and i tea a day loads of water just cause i like to drink it not that i need to and some sugar free drinks and i make sure theres no hidden ones in there as well,i've really been trying, i started out as 11.5 last time the nurse took my bloods and put me on the gliclazide that was in January,i was losing weight before the last test, :? shan x

C

catherinecherub

Well you are doing all the right things Shandromeda.
Perhaps someone else will come up with some more advice.
Take care,
Catherine.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thanks Cugila for your pm i tried to pm you back but it won't let me.i've read all your posts with great interest,but as i'm all my two kids have got as we have no other family i'm desperate to get control of my diabeties,my D.nurse told me to eat weetabix in the morning,wholemeal sandwich at dinner and a jacket spud at tea which i was doing untill i tested my bg and it was 18.4 so i came on here and followed the low carb diet and even though i haven't had a bg reading that high again my lowest reading of 9.2 was after eating fish so it's still to high and i'm puzzled myself,i make sure my my low carb book that i'm eating 0 - low carbs at my meals,i don't cheat as i want to get better,i really do take in all advice given to me and i'm very thankfull,shan x :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Shan
You sure seem like you doing the right thing. If it continues you do need to discuss it with your GP or DNS. the practice one seems to be pushing out the old mantra about more carbs etc. so I would avoid her.
I too had probs with PM's when I first started - keep trying.
Cheers
Ken

Trinkwasser

I think you're another one who should be searching for a more competent doctor. Trust me they DO exist but seem to be rather diluted.

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
shan

i recently saw a doc for other reasons than my diabetes but we got on to the subject almost the first thing he said was he had seen a chap whose BS was through the roof and when he enquired the guy had only had weetabix for breakfast - this doc said that was probably one of the worst things a diabetic could have for brekkie due to the high GI levels

also bread at lunch and jacket spud for tea are high carbs

i don't touch them now and feel much better also my HBa1c today came back at 7.2 after a starting point of 11.2 only 6 months ago

with my own testing the BS is going down and even got a 6 yesterday but it fluctuates i can see it is reducing week on week but not the miracle reductions that i had hoped for, still i am happy to see the move in the right direction
keep it up i'm sure we'll all get there!

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thanks Trinkwasser,we have about 8 - 10 doctors at my surgery but they all send us to there one expert the diabetic nurse,i've spoke to differant doctors and they always send us to the D.N,in our area we can't swap doctors my friend tried to and got told no it works like a school capture area here and the thing is by the sound of it i'll more than likely to get another one just the same :roll:
Hope i catch her on a good day and she'll listen me out you never know :lol: and there goes another low carb flying pig,shan x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
shandromeda said:
Thanks Cugila for your pm i tried to pm you back but it won't let me.i've read all your posts with great interest,but as i'm all my two kids have got as we have no other family i'm desperate to get control of my diabeties,my D.nurse told me to eat weetabix in the morning,wholemeal sandwich at dinner and a jacket spud at tea which i was doing untill i tested my bg and it was 18.4 so i came on here and followed the low carb diet and even though i haven't had a bg reading that high again my lowest reading of 9.2 was after eating fish so it's still to high and i'm puzzled myself,i make sure my my low carb book that i'm eating 0 - low carbs at my meals,i don't cheat as i want to get better,i really do take in all advice given to me and i'm very thankfull,shan x :)

Was the fish battered,Shan? and what did you eat with it?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ok so it was high before the meal,was that a one hour or two hour reading you took after your meal.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I tested two hours after the meal Sue,also i've tested first thing in the morning and them readings are high too 9.4 and another morning it was 9.2,shan x

C

catherinecherub

Hi shandromeda,
Ask the Dr. to review your medication as it is not having the desired effect in reducing your blood sugars. Just a suggestion to your puzzle.
Catherine.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I'm going to see the D. nurse on thursday and i'm going to ask about my med's,but as she's one of these that say eat carb's every meal i'm thinking do i tell her i've been low carb as i know she will just tear strips off me or do i tell a white lie and say i did it her way just so she will hopefully take another look at my med's as my readings are high any way,or shall i say i ate both ways as when she first told me to eat carbs i did but when i found this site about a month ago i started low carbs, :?
shan x

C

catherinecherub

Hi shandromeda,
Tell her what she wants to hear. You have been eating carbs from vegetables so if she asks then you can say yes. (Don't elaborate on how many) :roll:
Hope all goes well for you,
Regards,
Catherine.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I've been reading the Byetta thread do you think it would be worth me asking the D.nurse if i could try it,what do i do if she says no can she refuse me :?: shan x