Am I expecting too much?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and No I have not been referred anywhere! I have been handed Metformin and waved off with a smile. This is why I am feeling so lost with the diagnosis :(

Just ring your surgery or call in, as suggested by myself and others above. Check you are "in the system" for diabetes care, check if you have been referred for a retina screening test, check you are on the list for more blood tests and a review 3 months on from diagnosis, and ask for a print out of your last results. All this may well be in the pipe line already. It could just be the GP forgot to explain properly. To be honest GPs tend to delegate Type 2 care to the nurses - in my case it is my nurse that did all the referrals. (In fact, I've never even seen a GP about my diabetes.)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Just ring your surgery or call in, as suggested by myself and others above. Check you are "in the system" for diabetes care, check if you have been referred for a retina screening test, check you are on the list for more blood tests and a review 3 months on from diagnosis, and ask for a print out of your last results. All this may well be in the pipe line already. It could just be the GP forgot to explain properly. To be honest GPs tend to delegate Type 2 care to the nurses - in my case it is my nurse that did all the referrals. (In fact, I've never even seen a GP about my diabetes.)
Wow! You never see the doctor?
I haven't been told that there are nurses at the surgery who deal with the condition, so perhaps it's different at my health centre to other doctor's surgeries? Who knows!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you go to your profile settings you can change it, otherwise you may end up confusing some posters.
Done ... and thanks for telling me how to change that. I'm really no techno head with computors LOL :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! You never see the doctor?
I haven't been told that there are nurses at the surgery who deal with the condition, so perhaps it's different at my health centre to other doctor's surgeries? Who knows!

I was diagnosed following a routine over 60's blood test and health check. I was called in to see a nurse who gave me the results and all the initial advice. My doctor did send for me a couple of weeks later but my diabetes was never discussed. It was for the proverbial "we put all diabetics on statins" debate, which she eventually lost.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was diagnosed following a routine over 60's blood test and health check. I was called in to see a nurse who gave me the results and all the initial advice. My doctor did send for me a couple of weeks later but my diabetes was never discussed. It was for the proverbial "we put all diabetics on statins" debate, which she eventually lost.
Is Metformin a statin then? I hadn't realized, but I've only been taking it since end of January

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Metformin a statin then? I hadn't realized, but I've only been taking it since end of January

No, it isn't a statin. Statins are for reducing cholesterol. Metformin is for helping with diabetes.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you don't get an eye screening appointment within 3 months, raise the matter with your GP as soon as possible. Although diabetes can sometimes affect the optic nerve, damage is more likely to be due to glaucoma.
Thank you for that reply Dark Horse as it was one of my biggest worries

Reactions: 2 people