Am I imagining this ?

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Folks, I've been seeing a pattern in my totally out-of-control T1 Diabetes for quite a while, and I'll explain shortly what I think I'm seeing. But, it has been a nightmare of a journey, and I'm not finished yet. The finishing line is still a little way ahead. And I could do with some help ....... a few more sets of eyes seeing if they notice anything similar to what I'm seeing.
And between us ......... well, let's wait and see.

Not necessarily saying, it will be the full answer to Diabetes, but you never know. Stranger things have happened ! But it might answer a few of our diabetic problems.

But there's quite a lot to put down, so I'll be back v. soon, when I've shaped it the way I need to .......

(please help if you can spare the time)

Back soon .........

Reactions: Ashybang

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Antje77 :)

And I will, as soon as I can finish putting it together in the right way. There's quite a lot of stuff stored in the brain right now, and if I just empty it out onto the table, folks will only see a rubbish dump !

It's a bit radical, a bit out-of-the-box. And it's still a work in progress ........ so I have to ask everyone to cut me some slack on it. I don't know if I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing, and that's why I could do with the extra help from anyone else who's interested.

I will get back soon ....... promise. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Antje77 :)

And I will, as soon as I can finish putting it together in the right way. There's quite a lot of stuff stored in the brain right now, and if I just empty it out onto the table, folks will only see a rubbish dump !

It's a bit radical, a bit out-of-the-box. And it's still a work in progress ........ so I have to ask everyone to cut me some slack on it. I don't know if I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing, and that's why I could do with the extra help from anyone else who's interested.

I will get back soon ....... promise. :)
No hurry.

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I almost don't know where to start with this, but you know what they say ........ you have to take the first step !

My apologies if this ends up being a long thread, and a little bit weird, but it's been a very long journey to get here. And I could really now do with some help from anybody who is interested, and is willing to look a bit closer when their blood readings seem to be going in the wrong direction.

My T1 Diabetes has been way out-of-control now for over 7 years (since March / April 2016), when I first started noticing that finger prick blood glucose readings were not going up and down the way they used to. So I'd add a compensatory injection dose, but when I tested later on, the readings were often even higher, with no food in the equation. I have plenty of years' experience of T1D, so I knew this was different to the norm. And I experimented over the weeks and months with all possibilities - dietary food changes, injection sites, even trialled new insulin, anything and everything that I thought might be involved. Got some blood tests in case there was anything else happening in my system, but nothing showed as relevant.

Then I got onto the CGM programme with Freestyle Libre - now let the games begin !!!

I can't recall now exactly what I began to notice first, but at some point I began to detect that there was mostly (not always, but mostly) a correlation between the blood levels rising, and what I'll call 'nasal rhinitis' - i.e. that nasal blocked up feeling. Not sure whether it actually is officially 'rhinitis', but I'll call it that for now, and although there are different classifications of rhinitis (i.e. allergic & non-allergic), I'll hold off from defining them just yet, as I'm beginning to think they might all be connected to the same things.

Then, with more observation, and research, I began to think that somewhere in the picture, dust mites were probably involved. Now, every home has dust mites, but the trouble is, you can't see them, so you don't know what the population numbers are. Now looking back, I realise we'd possibly grown too large a population of them, partly because of a number of practices that encourage humidity (over filled kettles, soaking dishes too long etc.), and dust mites do like humidity. But also, I think, because a few years previous, I'd bought some of the modern battery powered podiatry tools, to help look after my Mum's feet - the great little gadgets that use sandpaper type attachments to grind away hard skin, and / or file down toenails. And thinking back, after we'd use them, we'd get nasally blocked up about 15-20 minutes afterwards. Actually, I think there was a clue in that - if it had merely been the skin / nail dust that was blocking us up, it would have been more instant, but the fact that the nasal blocking was 15-20 minutes afterwards, was probably the time taken for the dust mites to find the material and start feeding !

I have to say though, all the above is still theory, and I could be wrong in my thoughts. Only time will tell.

So the vacuum cleaner started to get used even more frequently and I also got hold of any and every tool that might keep the bed sheets clean, eventually deciding on the regular use of a lint roller, for bedsheets, clothes, even carpets etc. etc.

Now, once I was armed with a lint roller (or several !), I began to notice another correlation - it seemed that most of the time, whenever I could find loose body hairs (stuck to the lint roller), the feeling of nasal rhinitis would reduce, and the bloods would start to drop - again, thanks to the 5 minute granularity of the CGM, which makes this kind of analysis possible.

Now, I don't think it's only hairs that are involved. I think it's possibly all the human body material that dust mites would be interested in (hairs, skin, sebum, etc. etc.). And there does seem to be something, which I have yet to pin down, which causes what I'd call a massive blood sugar spike, larger than other spikes. On too many occasions, I seem to have noticed eyelash hairs, on pillows / bedsheets / carpets, when the BG levels were heading seriously vertical. But I don't know if that's my imagination. It may simply be a large collection of material occurring at the same time that causes the really vertical rises, but I do suspect that there might be one material / item (more than others) that causes this stratospheric rise. It needs more exploration, more time.

Once I had begun to pay attention to all this, I started looking around for possible solutions, and found that dust mites don't like a number of 'essential oils', such as Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, and Lavender. And interestingly, I also saw some articles mentioning some 'unknown' connection between Diabetes and Eucalyptus around this time !

So I started using sprays, and found that on a number of occasions, spraying before bedtime gave fantastic flat reading through the night, although ........ word of warning to those who are on higher basal levels ........ sometimes too low ! So you'd need to go careful if you start to experiment with spraying using 'essential oils'.

But, the more I read about dust mites, the more I realised that they are almost the ultimate 'scavengers' - I believe they will eat other dust mite carcasses (hey - these guys will eat worse than that, but I'll let you do your own reading on that subject !!!). Which means, that if I employ a spray to kill them, I'm probably just providing food for the next generation of dust mites. So, I would guess that you probably want something that will discourage them without killing them. I did try some tests using Rosemary oil, but there's just too much going on, so I wasn't able to make any conclusive judgement on the results so far.

If I'm right, and dust mites are involved, then what is it that they are doing to trigger our auto-immune switch in this way ? They apparently release enzymes to break down their food. Is the enzyme too powerful, or is it causing some bad bacterial mix which is dangerous for us ? I don't know - over to the professionals on that one ?

I'm definitely of the opinion that somewhere in the mix, dust mites are involved, if only because of the BG improvement that e.g. Eucalyptus spray can have.

But I also now believe that Demodex mites could be in the mix, more because of the link to hairs. Demodex mites - again, we all have them apparently, and as we get older, we apparently have more of them. But they seem to live down the hair follicles. Conjunctivitis sufferers might already be more familiar with the concept of Demodex mites (living in the eyelashes), and apparently, it is now considered that there is a direct link between them and Rosacea sufferers.

If Demodex mites are involved, is there a possible link between Demodex mites and dust mites - either predator / prey, if the dust mites are feeding on demodex mites still attached to a fallen hair follicle, or even a symbiotic relationship, where demodex mites are helping cause the shedding of hair to provide food (possibly attached sebum) for the dust mites ?

Again, this is all theory, because the fact is, I can't actually see any of this, it's only some thoughts based on what I think I'm observing.

But there definitely seems to be some correlation between the nasal rhinitis, and the escalating blood levels.

And there also seems to be a correlation between finding and removing shed hair from the pillow / bedsheets / furniture / carpets, and a reduction in nasal rhinitis.

Also, I am fairly sure I'm noticing a correlation between the elasticated collars / cuffs on e.g. coats and clothing, so now, when I arrive home, one of the first routines (I can tell you, life has become very painful these days !) I have to do is take the lint roller across any clothing which may have attracted hairs, which includes the part of elasticated collars / cuffs which are in contact with neck hair / wrist hair etc. Basically, the elasticated clothing seems to be acting like a concertina, and grabbing hairs, and I have to assume there will be dust mites within the fabric. Stretch jeans ! You name it ! Once you head down this route, life becomes a nightmare.

Also, when folks talk of bloods rising during and post showers, my guess would be a combination of at least two things - the level of body debris which will be shed in the bathroom area, and particularly hair during towel drying etc. - hair on carpets, hair on towels. And also the humidity level increase during a shower or bath, which mites are known to favour.

And then somewhere in all of that mix, I believe we may also find what we think of as the Dawn Phenomenon / Foot-on-Floor, which we tend to associate with the Liver dumping.

If I have nasal rhinitis on wake up, I now immediately get the lint roller to see if there are any loose hairs on the pillow or bedsheet. Although, in the case of Dawn Phenomenon, I think we would need to follow the trail right from rising up from the bed, and follow the path wherever you go through the house.

Life becomes a nightmare of cleaning in a rather obsessive way, which is quite exhausting. But hopefully, most of you are not suffering this in quite the extreme way I am, and can cope with a modest BG rise.

Also, I am fairly sure I'm also seeing a pattern in nasal rhinitis increasing and bloods escalating, if you happen to bring in garden earth or plant life on the soles of your footwear, when you arrive home. I keep getting caught out if I forget to clean the shoe soles, and vacuum the hall carpet after getting home. Now, not everyone will notice this, but that's possibly because you haven't managed to grow the same population numbers of dust mites !!!

Part 1 (too many characters !)

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Part 2 (too many characters !)

Which makes me think ........ that possibly, what we have always considered up until now as hay fever etc. etc., is possibly the same thing - i.e. pollen and garden material under foot during the high pollen seasons, and pollen attaching itself to our clothing, which being fabric, will host dust mite populations.

It needs further in-depth investigation. I think I may even have noticed a trend after doing paper shredding - could the paper dust from a shredder be food to dust mites ? For now anyway, the shredder no longer gets used, unless outside in the shed !

Now ........ I did say it was a little bit out-of-the-box !

So I guess one of the first questions I would put out there is - does anyone notice any type of correlation / link between blood sugars going high, and feeling nasally blocked up. I would probably call it 'rhinitis', but I don't want to get too bogged down in the terminology.

Any assistance you can give folks, will be very welcome. I just need more sets of eyes on this ..........

Reactions: Grannypat

Simon1990t1

Ok so I don’t know anything about the mites. I was searching because over the last months my insulin consumption has gone from 50-60u/day to well over 100, and I don’t know why. I’m writing this now having put 30 units in since I went to sleep and I still can’t get it down.

However, I will say for sure that since this begsn one thing is also happening, I have alot of nasal congestion… so I am interested in your thoughts..

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Simon1990t1 ,

Truth is ......... I still don't yet have all the answers to this, that's why (if I'm even right), I think it needs all of us to put our heads (and eyes, and noses !) together, and try find the full answer. To be honest, it really needs lab research. Stuff (scientific lab research) has been done on dust mites, and demodex mites before now, but maybe not from this perspective. The vacuum cleaner manufacturers are often interested in this kind of research, but again, probably not from this angle.

I won't even tell you the size of my insulin doses these days, it would scare inexperienced diabetics. I'm just glad I'm very experienced with insulin. And that was the main reason, several years ago, I did try a new insulin, but decided 'better the devil you know', and kept everything stable, while I did my investigations. So stayed with my existing insulins.

What I would say to you is do go careful, when you're upping your doses, for obvious reasons.

There is a significant danger in the stuff I've written about, because when you start to either spray e.g. Eucalyptus, or you do the cleaning routine (lint roller or vacuum), you can then remove the source problem (it can be a bit of a lotto, finding the root source though !), and suddenly - that 30 units you just administered will plummet your blood sugars back down, so you always have to go careful if you're doing any of this late at night.

My life has been a total nightmare for the last 2 years, with this and some of the other stuff I'm dealing with right now, and I really wouldn't wish it on anyone. So, when I can find a fix ........ roll on !

I also think that the pandemic lockdowns may have helped increase this phenomenon, with people working from home, hence more humidity (human breathing is one of the main humidity sources), and the extra human debris falling onto the domestic carpets etc. for an extra 8 hours every day - dry skin, loosened body hairs etc.

OK, have to sign off for now. Go careful, and hopefully we will all be able to work out the answer.

(mod edit to comply with forum ethos)

Last edited by a moderator:

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting information you provide James472. I very often get stuffy nasal passages without the runny nose as well as throat mucus especially when I get a chill, which I have always assumed to be the immune response to fighting a cold, flu, etc. Often my blood sugar is higher than it would usually be for no reason I can think of and then I assume it's the harsh weather. I adjust my insulin and follow low carb (70 approx/day) which helps keep me in 'range'. All the cleaning you do would quickly drive me insane. I keep housework to the bare minimum for peace of mind. If you're right, I'd rather live with mites. I suspect you may have a form of allergy perhaps undiagnosable give today's level of medical knowledge.

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @JAT1 , I promise you, I don't love this cleaning lark ! :-( But the blood sugars dictate !

Thing is ....... this isn't just some mild, or even medium rise in blood levels - my graph is up and down all day long, and only because I know how to judge the insulin doses, am I able to almost keep the HbA1c in some kind of check.

Most days, you're waking up to bloods of 18-20, and it was worse, is only slowly coming down. At it's peak, I was getting too many occurrences when the Freestyle Libre was flatlining at the top at various points in the day, and no longer giving you a number - just saying HI. And really, all you can do is say Hi back - it would be churlish not to ! :)

Next time anyone goes for a haircut during winter, and wearing a scarf, see whether you get nasally blocked after you get home - and get the lint roller onto the scarf !

I'm hoping I can wake up one day, and find this was all just a bad dream.

@JAT1 - your method of adjustment is actually quite a sound approach - i.e. deal with it as a bad day, up the dose a bit, drop the carbs a bit.

Reactions: JAT1

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 , must admit I haven't for a long time. But I guess I've just gotten so used to this weird routine I'm living, and the amounts I'm injecting are sizeable doses. Not having the perfect balance of basal just means I'm maybe having to inject a bit more at other times, but ......... to be honest, I'm already injecting pretty frequently anyway.
Have I to put that on my 'ToDo' list, as well as all the other stuff right now ??? :)

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, have just PM'd @Antje77 , because I didn't want to put on the post above that I actually stopped basal insulin about 18 months ago. I thought that might not be a good message to be sending out to everybody. But ......... as @Antje77 rightly said ......... folks who use insulin pumps don't necessarily need basal insulin. So I guess I'm just operating a kind of manual version of a pump.

Why did I stop basal ? Well, all of this experimentation (spraying of Eucalyptus etc., and / or lint rollering / vacuuming) gave me several times when my Libre hit the lowest of the low (i.e., no reading, just LO), for long periods through the night - 6 hours ! At that point, I realised I was onto something in the research, and it would be safer to stop using the basal.

What I certainly don't want to be doing, is re-calculating, and upping my basal levels, on the basis of that.

But, have to put out that stopping 'basal' insulin is not normally recommended, so, as they say in the ADS .......... don't try this at home !

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my Libre hit the lowest of the low (i.e., no reading, just LO), for long periods through the night - 6 hours !
Have you confirmed those lows with a fingerprick?
Most days, you're waking up to bloods of 18-20
This to me seems a very clear sign you need basal insulin.
There's a huge difference between adjusting your basal dose and not taking any at all.

Have you considered speaking to your teams about going on a pump? There are lots of pumps nowadays that can communicate with a CGM and will stop basal if you're heading towards a low. This seems much better to me than obsessively cleaning and still seeing rollercoaster BG's.

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to understand @Antje77 , I'm not here to try and get anyone to resolve my diabetes problem - I feel I've already done that myself, well ....... like I said before, I'm not quite at the finishing line, but I can see it ahead. I'm more here, seeing who else is noticing similar trends, and maybe collectively, we can pin things down more.

What will be the end result ? Well, if I'm right in all of this, about the source problem, then hopefully we'll identify a way of dissuading them from having this influence on us, and then we'll see how things improve. Maybe a pill, maybe a specific action we need to take, maybe some specific aromas or plants we need to nurture in the home ?

Now OK, to answer your questions ........ I stopped basal about 18 months ago, so I don't remember if I confirmed with a finger test. But not really worried - I mean, so far, my libre accuracy has always been fine, and because of the extremes I'm dealing with here, my Libre unit does reach the HI end point, and the LO end point. It ain't low very often I can tell you ! It's just a reflection of how extreme this situation is, and I don't want it this way - this is just how it is. Which is why I knew there was something needing looked at deeper, which is why I've put so much time and effort into the investigation.

OK, so basal ......... well, if we were dealing with a relatively stable diabetic case, where the bloods were gradually rising through the night, since last food input, I would agree - that would tend to suggest time to increase the basal. But this situation is more random than stable. And to add to that, when I say most wake ups can be 18-20, well, it's actually even worse than that. I can wake up several times before final wake up - I will wake up if my body detects high bloods (have always been able to do that), also if I'm nasally blocked, or I may need to attend to an elderly parent who needs my assistance.
And on each wake up, I always check bloods and add a compensatory dose. Probably most nights, I will add in 2 x 16 units during mid-sleep wake-ups (is that even an expression !!!), and I will still end up with final wake up bloods of 18-20. So, any increase of basal to try and assist with those levels, is going to need to be a sizeable basal increase (particularly adding in all the other dosing throughout daytime !). But then, if on another night, I hit the right combination with fighting this nuisance, and either spray the right zones, or lift the right source problem while cleaning, then I really don't want such large amounts of basal floating around for 12 or 24 hours. Much better I check the Libre when I have the mid sleep wake up, and if I don't need to dose up, I don't. So that's why basal changes will be more dangerous to me. I've used the basal / bolus regime for many years, and if I was more stable, I'd be happy to go back on the basal, but right now, it's more likely to trip me up, not every day, but on occasions. And I don't need that.

Now, your suggestion of a pump has merit, if it can deliver the high levels I currently need. Must admit, I would have thought they'd have some kind of safe limit, and not allow them to deliver the levels I'm playing with. I'm not desperately worried - I'd rather concentrate for now, on getting to the end of this problem 'I think' I've found. But if I can't find the answer, then a pump will be much better than current situation.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now, your suggestion of a pump has merit, if it can deliver the high levels I currently need.
How much insulin do you typically use in 24 hours?
There's also the possibility of using a relatively low dose of basal, which seems much better to me than none at all.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much insulin do you typically use in 24 hours?
A lot ! Ummmmmmm, let me try and calculate (every day is completely different), but .............. between 150 to 180. Each new cartridge (which holds 300) usually gets replaced in less than 2 days. Some days are even worse !! I just wouldn't have expected a pump to have been designed to play at those levels - for safety reasons.
There's also the possibility of using a relatively low dose of basal, which seems much better to me than none at all.
No ....... it wouldn't touch the sides @Antje77 . A small basal would be next to no use, when playing with my numbers. And for the reasons I explained, I definitely don't want to be shoving in large basal doses. Thing is, basal is about giving you some background stability, and reducing the amount of injecting you might need to do. But stability isn't even in the equation with my situation, and I'm already, absolutely requiring to inject regularly - I have no choice. So basal (at the moment) offers me no huge advantage, but it does threaten me with an occasional 'kick in the Bazookas' !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @James472 ,

I live in a house which has laminate flooring throughout.. (except the kitchen which has tiled linoleum style flooring.)
Can get a stuffy nose that does not affect my BGs. Air conditioning can make me stuffy too & they work by drying the environment?

You mentioned stopping your basal? But you use bolus, so you are “surfing” using your bolus mimicking a pump?
I actually tried this many years back… It did not work. Found myself all over the place.

What basal & bolus insulin are you actually prescribed.?

Reactions: Antje77

James472

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in a house which has laminate flooring throughout.
Now, for folks who have recognised dust mite allergies, that's what they'd want. Although, still doesn't change the fact that most folks will have fabric everywhere else in their home - rugs, bathmats, curtains, bedsheets, clothes. The problem with these critters is, they're too small to be within our eyesight range, and they're opaque I believe. Plus, if (and I do repeat, this is all an IF !) the Demodex (hair follicle) mites are also involved, then having laminate floorings won't help. I wish I knew all the answers, but I don't. But the picture seems to be building, and I felt it was time to mention it, and get more folks starting to observe - that way, if it has worth, maybe we can pull together to work out a solution.

I could be totally wrong in my deductions / theories, and that's OK ......... I'll accept that. I have no problem with that. But I'm not someone who merely gets an idea out of the blue and pushes forward as if it's 100% correct - any thoughts get fairly thoroughly processed first !

I don't know enough about AC units, and how much they affect folks in getting stuffy noses. But it might be that if there's a filter onboard, and it's needing changed, or has the very material (that I'm trying to pin down) stuck in it's filter, maybe that would contribute ! I don't know.

The basal / bolus question is only for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I discovered that by either lint rollering and removing hairs (or dry skin or whatever it is), and / or particularly by spraying with the right Essential oils, I could often (not always, but often) get great relief, and flat lined blood readings. But on a few occasions, it was all working too perfectly, to the point of LO (which is a recognised level of Libre), but you don't want that for 6 hours and more - that's asking for trouble. So that's the only reason I went down the bolus only route, for now. It's not by choice.

What basal & bolus insulin are you actually prescribed.?
I'm still on NovoRapid, and Lantus. They ain't new I realise, but ........ when you're investigating like this, I reckon it's better to be familiar with something tried and trusted while you examine all the other stuff.

NovoRapid - well, it might not be so fast, but frankly, with the levels I need to administer, and then the fact that if I stumble on the right area of carpet or bedsheet that has the source problem and remove it, or if I spray the right area with Eucalyptus, my insulin starts to drop my blood sugars like a lead weight. So really ........ in that situation, do I want a faster insulin ??? You see what I'm saying. And the trouble is, with this problem I'm researching, I never always know if I've stumbled upon the right area until I see my CGM start to drop vertically.

Lantus - well, OK, so they reckon it runs out after maybe 22 hours. Hey, with the levels I'm playing with, I wouldn't worry too much about losing 2 hours of basal. Compared to my 24/7 diabetes problems at the moment, the loss of 2 hours at the end of the basal run, would be a drop in the ocean.

You wanna taste of my life for a moment :) ........ with all the ups and downs of my graph, imagine how much I look forward to the 1 hour of CGM that you miss when it's time to change over the Libre after 2 weeks. That's never a nice hour - yes, you still have finger pricking, but it still feels a vulnerable hour. That's when your judgement of which way it's headed, and whether or not to inject again gets tested.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @James472

Have you been tested for allergies at all? I know stress and illness can push up blood sugars and insulin resistance (and I find high blood sugars do too for me). It's not clear to me that allergies increase insulin resistance, though treatments for allergies certainly can. I do know however that you can be tested for allergens (my son is asthmatic and very sensitive to dust mites)

I personally have some issues with varying basal needs, so much so that my team are going to put me on a pump, but I can confirm that when I accidentally had bolus insulin instead of basal insulin in my basal pen my levels roller coasted all over the place. If you just use bolus you'd probably have to inject multiple times in the night to keep things even vaguely stable. If large doses are an issue, it's possible you could use U200 insulin in the pump? And now I see you were/are on lantus, which I personally have lots of issues with. (I'd prefer to try out levemir rather than go to a pump but that isn't available in New Zealand). In any case, I am being moved to a pump precisely to deal with hypo problems, so if you are worried about lows at night this might be a solution for you.

I know you say you don't need help because you think you've solved the issue for yourself but in your position I'd want to talk to my team about the possibility of pump therapy, and also have some allergy testing done to confirm the dust mite issue and see if there are any other allergens in play.... (I have a number of friends whose allergies make them sick and they can be caused by all sorts of things). And there could be dietary issues in play (at least there seem to be for T2s and insulin resistance). Plus they would have fresh eyes on the issue and might tell you about diabetic stuff you haven't considered.

And be aware that cgms are well known for giving false lows at night if you lie on them. While I love my dexcom I do a back up test via glucometer. If my cgm had a true reading of LO I would probably be unconscious, though often when it reads LO it's actually under reading by 1 mmol/L so I'm actually in the 3s. Cgms are notoriously inaccurate at very low and high levels...

Hope this helps, I really think that talking to your diabetic team might give you a fresh perspective on things.