1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Am I the only one with this problem

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mal37, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Mal37

Mal37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know this sounds silly but I have ten fingers yet can only get blood out of one!
    No matter how high I turn my lancing device to, I can't draw blood from any of my fingers other than my left hand little finger (which oozes out easily and quickly!!!
    I keep trying my ring finger and it does prick it but I squeeze and squeeze to no avail.
    Does anyone else find the same problem?
    I have wasted so many test strips when trying to use a different finger.
    I don't click the pads ... just the sides.

#1 Mal37, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Dairygrade

Dairygrade Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi try washing and soaking them in warm water for a couple of minutes works for me give it a go ?Ps don't squeeze your fingers to tightly just gently draw the blood down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Have you altered the depth setting on the lancet device? They usually range from 1 to 5, including halves. 5 is the deepest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mal37 I squeeze from below where I prick, towards my fingertip. And I have always been already squeezing before I prick. And that 'captured in squeeze' blood ain't going nowhere but out of the hole......!

Works every time on any finger for me, except when I'm freezing cold.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Which lancing device are you using? Some of them are a waste of time, if possible try and get hold of a Accu-Chek Fastclix. it has a good range of depth settings and is comfortable to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mal37

Yes I have it on 5 but it makes no difference Bluetit1802. All it does is hurt more (lol)

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Mal37

I have the SD Codefree with it's accompanying lancing device Noblehead. I cannot afford to replace it ... or pay more than I do now for teststrips. It works fine on my little finger so I think all my flow of blood is in there!!! Ha ha

9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

You certainly aren't the only one. I struggle too, but usually when my hands are cold. After I've washed them in warm water and rinsed in even warmer water, I give them a good rub on a towel and then rub my hands together. This works better. When my hands are warm I have less trouble.

I agree with @noblehead about the Accu Chek Fastclix. It is the best lancet device there is. I have seen them for sale on Amazon and they sell them in pharmacies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mal37

11. Mal37

I will give that a try in the morning when I next test then

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

You don't have to replace your meter to use a different lancing device - all it does is prick your finger and if and when you get a drop out it will be the same blood whatever you use to make a hole! :D (I've used my Fastclix with three different brands of meter so far.) It's only the meter and strips that must be compatible. Boots have recently had a sale on Accu-Chek items, so it may be worth looking online to see if you can still find a bargain Fastclix.

I don't actually have a big issue with different fingers, although the little one on my right hand is definitely by far the most co-operative when it comes to blood letting - so gets used preferentially!! But having warm hands and the aid of gravity - arm/fingers pointing downwards and getting a bit of a shake before I attack - helps with the blood flow to my fingertips if needs be.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nidge247

Nidge247 LADA · Well-Known Member

By far the easiest and best results I have had had been with the Accu-chek Fastclix lancet device. It's also made easier I've found to keep your hands well-moisturised, as all that hand washing before testing does otherwise dry the skin out. Having warm hands at testing time helps, but I do find from time to time certain fingers do refuse to co-operate, and simply leave them alone for a couple of days. My thumbs and little pinkies rarely work, so I tend not to bother with those.
    Also, if your skin is soft, I found that a shallower setting actually drew blood easier and of course less noticeable, than previously with tough skin and on setting 5.
    I rotate weekly as to pads/sides too, so no surface gets over-used.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mal37

That's really useful advise Nidge247. Thank you :)

15. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Sometimes if I can't get blood on one side of finger I try on the other-side and can.

16. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Give theAccu-Chek Careline a ring, can't promise but they might send you out the Fastclix for free as they'll know you'll be buying the lancets thereafter.

17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

They have the Fastclix in Boots for just under £9.00 and the lancets for £2.75

http://www.boots.com/search/fastclix+lancets

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook