Am I worrying unnecessarily???

jules_84

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My eldest son was diagnosed type 1 in august 2014- he was 10. My youngest son has just turned 10 and is started to show symptoms very similar to what my eldest did at the time of diagnosis-has been weeing frequently through the night (wet the bed once), mood swings and constant hunger. I don't know if I'm just thinking too much into it as this has just started happening over the last few weeks and I'm worried that my anxiety will frighten him if I take him to the gp. I have checked his blood sugars a couple of times a while back and they were in normal range but haven't checked them since.
How common is it for siblings to both have type1? Am I just being silly?

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get it checked straight away for everyone's sake. Your sons so if he has got it he can get the treatment straight away and for you to relieve the anxiety

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @jules_84
unfortunately there are many instances of T1D running in siblings.
I would certainly get him checked properly at the GP.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get him checked by the doctor @jules_84 You won't stop worrying else - and that's perfectly understandable.

If you don't want to make him anxious, then maybe present it as more of a routine check rather than mention you're concerned he might have Type 1 too.