Am scared

Pkusi

Am a 20 year old student nurse who used hospital glucometer out of curiosity and is really high. I never eat breakfast so basically it is quite accurate. I have done it in the morning for 3 different days and the readings were 7.7, 7.2 and 6.2. I feel so scared and am actually feeling stupid for being curious. I haven’t told any of my friends or anyone cause u don’t hear many uni people with diabetes. What advise would people give me. I don’t really have any of the diabetic symptoms so do people think is necessary to go to the GP.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think you should be scared as there’s lots of factors to be considered but I do think you should go talk to a dr and express your concerns and Ge them to turn a few tests. They may come back just fine, but if there is a problem then it’s best known about because then you can take action to stop it causing complications and getting worse. Pop back in here if tests do show anything and we can give you lots of positive help and examples that there is no need for despair. It’s nowhere near as doom and gloom as it was previous thought to be.

Oh and there will be others in your shoes or diagnosed as diabetic but maybe you just don’t know about them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am a 20 year old student nurse who used hospital glucometer out of curiosity and is really high. I never eat breakfast so basically it is quite accurate. I have done it in the morning for 3 different days and the readings were 7.7, 7.2 and 6.2. I feel so scared and am actually feeling stupid for being curious. I haven’t told any of my friends or anyone cause u don’t hear many uni people with diabetes. What advise would people give me. I don’t really have any of the diabetic symptoms so do people think is necessary to go to the GP.
HI and welcome
You might find its down to Dawn phenomenon which is what gets us up and going in the morning..
Maybe take a reading at another time of day ( a few hours after you have eaten) to see what you get then.

Reactions: Shas3

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with @bulkbiker. Those readings aren't really high and could be the Dawn Phenomenon. Take a few readins 2-3 hours after a normal meal during the day.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without being a scare monger whilst it may be down to the natural process of dawn phenomenon - and the rest of the days readings may well be perfectly normal giving a normal hb1ac - a raised morning reading (suggesting impaired fasting glucose) is still not ideal and could be the earliest of warnings to make some sensible changes to carb intake and lifestyle, thus avoiding the need for far bigger ones later in life

Reactions: Shas3