Amazing progress..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
..with Keto lifestyle changes. My Type 2 numbers are all within better even excellent ranges, and so many other health issues are improving, some even gone.

I am having a bit of an issue getting in enough water. I read both "opinions" on how much water, and what is as good as water for hydration i.e. Green Tea, coffee etc. So looking for help with that, and also, I am good with 3 meals a day, one being a snack about 2 o'clock rather than an actual lunch. That is a filling snack/meal with yogurt, berries and usually walnuts. The water thing is hard to just sip it so I try to drink the whole 8 ounce at each time but not getting anymore than 4 or those a day. How far from a meal should I be with drinking my water, and again, do you find teas actually count for hydrating?

I need to know specifically because I am now, for about the last week or 2, having very, bright urine. I understand why that is, I believe I understand, and that's lack of hydration to handle the B vitamins in my body, both from foods, as well as one B-complex a day.

Anyone want to chime in?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hia have you tried carbonated water.... I drink tones of the stuff the cheapest and add a slice to lemon and lime to it. You will need straws though as it can potentially make the toothy pegs sensitive - as I found out x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I add the juice of half a fresh lime and some pink salt to a large (pint) glass of iced water. Delicious and refreshing.

I don’t think the timing of your drink I’m relation to meals is important, just that you get enough of it. Personally I find that if I down the whole glass too quickly, it goes right through me!

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not into carbonated Lainie, but I haven't looked into it and how good it might be for me, or not. I will though and thank you for the idea. I occasionally drink ACV, very occasionally, and I use a straw to get a lot of it past my teeth. I also rinse my mouth really well with water after drinking it. That might help with tooth sensitivity ;)

I don't think I dislike water, it's just that I don't remember to drink it as I have no craving for it. I heard from someone years ago that after getting used to drinking water, they wanted more of it. I haven't gotten to that point but now talking about it, makes me think I just need to do it. I started off good early today with one 8 ounce. Now I want to eat Breakfast, and I've read "don't" drink a lot before a meal because your stomach acids need to be good to digest your foods. Bla bla bla ;) So it's timing I thing I'm trying to figure.

Those that do intermitant fasting have lots of time to drink their water I figure. I just need to maybe set an alarm when it's time for another water ;)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Those that do intermitant fasting have lots of time to drink their water I figure. I just need to maybe set an alarm when it's time for another water ;)

I do exactly that. I set various alarms throughout the day to encourage me to drink. I do this for water, coffee and herbal tea. Coffee is my luxury, and my alarm is to remind myself to step away from work, have a break and make myself a drink. Herbal tea is what I drink to stop me from drinking coffee constantly! When I'm working in the office, in non-lockdown conditions, I drink bottles of water. Working from home, I found it to be a totally different ball game (mostly because my tap water is vile, and work had filtered water machines everywhere), hence the reason why I had to set alarms to make me actually drink. As for when, I tend to have a glass every hour throughout the morning, and then every two hours until bedtime.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do exactly that. I set various alarms throughout the day to encourage me to drink. I do this for water, coffee and herbal tea. Coffee is my luxury, and my alarm is to remind myself to step away from work, have a break and make myself a drink. Herbal tea is what I drink to stop me from drinking coffee constantly! When I'm working in the office, in non-lockdown conditions, I drink bottles of water. Working from home, I found it to be a totally different ball game (mostly because my tap water is vile, and work had filtered water machines everywhere), hence the reason why I had to set alarms to make me actually drink. As for when, I tend to have a glass every hour throughout the morning, and then every two hours until bedtime.
Sounds good to me. Do you allow (and how much time) before or after eating before you drink 8 ounces? This is what I'm not totally sure about. I don't want to interrupt my digestive system with too much water, and for me, a full cup is a lot, and very filling. I learned that sometimes dehydration disguises itself as hunger (so to speak) and found that if I am hungry at sort of an odd time, I really just need water.

My coffee in the a.m. is a real luxury too and I'm looking around for something to make it a little fancier even, like a latte, keto friendly of course ;) or at least low-carb. I don't think I mentioned I had switched over to chicory root and quit the coffee. Chicory root has 9 carbs, something like that so I read about the good, bad and the ugly of coffee and what I believe now is it's benefits out-weigh any of the so-called bad things. Most of those are just overdoing the intake which I don't have an issue with that thank goodness. Hard enough to toss the carbs out ;) but wow, do I feel better (and even younger!!)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to pour a glass whilst I'm making lunch or cooking dinner, but the majority of that glass will be drunk after the meal. That's more habit than anything else. I noticed a big difference with hunger. The reason why I drink more in the morning is that I do intermittent fasting, and it does take the edge off.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Herbal teas can be useful in that they are as good cold as hot. Make hot then chill and keep in fridge with ice and lemon etc. Sip at will.
I don't quite understand the drink 8oz at one time. I just drink often, sometimes its a full glass or cup but often just half

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
MINERAL water, not carbonated and like goonergal with the juice of a fresh lime.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I drink loads of hibiscus tea throughout the day, with artificial sweetner, each mug full is ca 8 oz [240 cc] The only problem is that I need to stop drinking in the early evening due to old mans problems.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@G0ldengirl68

Well done on all the wonderful improvements! :D

I am quite surprised that you think that 8oz (which is approx 200ml) is a lot to drink at a time.:)
Maybe it is because I am used to drinking more.
My mugs are all about 600mls (20 US fluid ounces), so that is a standard size drink for me. Makes it very easy to drink enough, because I don't have to constantly run back and forth to the kitchen.

I don't have much 'thirst' (probably because I seem to sleep with my mouth open a lot, and wake up with a dry mouth, so my body has switched off the dry-mouth=thirsty signal). Consequently, I need to listen to other bodily signals. These include dark or concentrated urine, not needing to pee regularly, constipation, headaches, lost of mental acuity, and the simple knowledge that in order to avoid all those things, I need to drink between 2.5 and 3.5 litres a day. I think that is approx 84-120 US fluid ounces)

Elsewhere, I have seen it advised that as a very rough guide we should be drinking 1 litre of fluid for every 5 stone of body weight. That is 33 US fluid oz for every 70 pounds.

So I have a number of strategies which have now become second nature:
- all my glasses and mugs are roughly equal sizes (600ml = 20 US fluid oz) so 5 of them = my target, unless the weather is very hot, at which point I need 6 or 7 of them
- I have a favourite glass, and a favourite mug, so I use them all the time and don't chop and change between vessels which would confuse me. I am easily confused ;)
- I drink a 600ml glass of water when I get up, then one in the morning, then one after lunch, then one before I finish work, then one in the evening. Then I can drink more at any time, if I wish.
- if I am busy, or away from home, I carry water bottles and drink them
- I try to drink earlier in the day and evening rather than later or just before bedtime, to avoid endless widdling in the night.
- I tend not to swig an entire mug at a time - though I can if I want to - and I never bother about avoiding drinks with meals, unless that meal is overly large. In that case I drink 600mls half an hour before the meal, and drink as much/little as I want during it.

It has all become such a habit that I barely notice it any more. Completely effortless and natural to drink this much - except that when I don't, I notice how rough I start feeling.

Something I find very amusing is that the moment I think 'hmm, don't want to drink much so late in the evening, or I will be up all night peeing' then I become instantly thirsty. :hilarious:

I am pretty horrified at how little some people drink (older family members, for example). They must be putting such a strain on their kidneys, at an age when they would do better to take care of them.

The physical unpleasantnesses of not drinking enough are a great motivator for me, but I didn't realise what they were until I started drinking ENOUGH and the background bodily whinges disappeared,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you a bit over-concerned about water? I think the main measure is the colour of your urine. It should be light amber and never dark.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here are the volume comparisons,

Unit of Measurement Imperial System Metric Equivalent
1 ounce 1 (fluid) oz. 29.57 mL
1 gill 5 (fluid) oz.
1 cup Not commonly used 236.59 mL
1 pint 20 (fluid) oz. 473.18 mL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are the volume comparisons,

Unit of Measurement Imperial System Metric Equivalent
1 ounce 1 (fluid) oz. 29.57 mL
1 gill 5 (fluid) oz.
1 cup Not commonly used 236.59 mL
1 pint 20 (fluid) oz. 473.18 mL

Yes, but the UK and the US use different fluid oz definitions. So it makes things v confusing.
The figures I used were taken from here
https://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/liters-to-ounces.htm
which specifically differentiates between US and UK fluid oz.
I believe that G0ldengirl is in the US.