American keto recipes

Anom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been diet controlling my diabetes since March 2020. I understand that you count Carbs in the UK as Fibre is listed separately. However, when I am following American recipes do I count carbs or net carbs. I buy my ingredients from Amazon such as almond flour, psyllium husk etc.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

It will depend on the origin of the ingredients rather than the origin of the recipe. The labels will be very different between the US and the UK.

In the UK the fibre will be listed separately, so count the whole carb total. For US labels, the breakdown of the carb content will include fibre, so deduct that from the total.

Editing to add examples - first from the US and second from the UK.

Attachments

• 2C4246D1-AF40-4A2E-B5D0-FD9E8862DC07.jpeg
    2C4246D1-AF40-4A2E-B5D0-FD9E8862DC07.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 29FB837E-A9E3-455A-B597-503DAA8BE896.png
    29FB837E-A9E3-455A-B597-503DAA8BE896.png
    29 KB · Views: 176

Anom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

It will depend on the origin of the ingredients rather than the origin of the recipe. The labels will be very different between the US and the UK.

In the UK the fibre will be listed separately, so count the whole carb total. For US labels, the breakdown of the carb content will include fibre, so deduct that from the total.

Editing to add examples - first from the US and second from the UK.
Thank you for your help. I was asking about when the author of the recipe has listed the nutrition values. Do I use total carb or net carb if that author is American. I am thinking net carb as they have made it using ingredients from America and they are American. So this may be a silly question lol,

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your help. I was asking about when the author of the recipe has listed the nutrition values. Do I use total carb or net carb if that author is American. I am thinking net carb as they have made it using ingredients from America and they are American. So this may be a silly question lol,

You can use the ‘net carbs’ as a guide to the nutrition value of the recipe, but it’ll be the ingredients you use that determine the actual carb content: less of an issue using entirely fresh ingredients, but with processed items in particular, carb content can vary from product to product.