An additional Metformin if BG high?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're eating enough carbs, they won't, but significantly lowering your carb intake can lead to hypos when on these drugs. Basically, the only safe and proven drugs for diabetes so far have been insulin and metformin.

Got it. Thanks . I. guess Metformin and cut carbs more is way forward.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, @Shas3 - my briefest, simplest explanation od how Metformin works is it helps our bodies work better, when dealing with carbs.

Of course it can only go so far in that regard, but personally, if comfortable trimming carbs a bit more, I'd likely want to go that way before I got the pancreatic cattle prod out. Personally, I'd rather use something to ease the strain on my system rather than creating a strain (to produce more insulin) - especially if I knew I was still producing enough insulin of my own.

If your Doc is serious about adding the gliptin, then maybe ask him is he can ascertain your underlying natural insulin levels, to see if they really need boosting or if that's just likely to add more insulin to the mix when the body is already struggling with what it can do for itself.

Not sure I put those last bits at all clearly, but that's my brain dump of the day!

Very clear and well put. Thanks a lot. The doctor did not sound pushy. He put it out to explain possible options. I think I will not start the gliptin ... Metformin, more exercise, less carbs, more protein (a bit) and some fat!!

Thanks

Reactions: Rachox

RadioPhil

Some years ago I was recommended a book to read, it is by two American doctors Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney and is called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable.

It reinforces the science behind carbohydrate being the problem, and how it works.

The book cites a number of studies that these two have been involved with over many years.
I followed it for a number of months and lost 20 Kg in four months - without exercise and without really trying.
It is really well worth reading, it goes to show that many "nutritionists" are simply preaching old and outdated information.

If you want to understand how it all works, I can highly recommend a copy for you to read.

It's available on Amazon, just search for phinney and volek

Reactions: Shas3

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was interested in your comments about metformin. My blood sugar have increased and I was told to increase metformin. Currently was on 1000mg now 1500 but tummy issues terrible. Think I will go back to 1000mg. Have to take enzymes as pancreas still producing some insulin but no enzymes, so take creon. Have lowered carbs but cannot digest fats so easily so not sure low carb diet would work for me! Any suggestions? Not keen on taking other meds either as some might make my pancreas worse!! Help!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was interested in your comments about metformin. My blood sugar have increased and I was told to increase metformin. Currently was on 1000mg now 1500 but tummy issues terrible. Think I will go back to 1000mg. Have to take enzymes as pancreas still producing some insulin but no enzymes, so take creon. Have lowered carbs but cannot digest fats so easily so not sure low carb diet would work for me! Any suggestions? Not keen on taking other meds either as some might make my pancreas worse!! Help!
This is a fairly old thread @Jaded Judi , you may get a better response if you ask your questions in a fresh post of your own.