An attempt at fasting

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read a number of the fasting threads and the recent one by @bulkbiker gave me a push to give it ago.
My BMI is at 22 and I feel I don't have much more weight to lose but I've often wondered what effect some form of fasting would have on my FBG and weight, both of which have been a little variable and high.
So last week I replaced lunch with a cup of hot Marmite, threw out my walnuts (raided too often) and did not "snack" when having a black coffee (sq of 85% or cheese) or preparing son's breakfast.

In a nutshell:
Week 19 FBG 5.4 72.0 kg
Week 20 FBG 5.4 72.5 kg
Week 21 FBG 4.4 70.0 kg

Never felt hungry.
Mrs Hj commented this morning when I was getting on the scales.... "Even for you, you're looking a bit thin"!

Only downside: only two dumps in the whole week and one was a bit of an effort.

Amazing what missing lunch can do.

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've "been" for the past 4 days.. nothing gone in nothing to come out.. Less time on the ipad..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read a number of the fasting threads and the recent one by @bulkbiker gave me a push to give it ago.
My BMI is at 22 and I feel I don't have much more weight to lose but I've often wondered what effect some form of fasting would have on my FBG and weight, both of which have been a little variable and high.
So last week I replaced lunch with a cup of hot Marmite, threw out my walnuts (raided too often) and did not "snack" when having a black coffee (sq of 85% or cheese) or preparing son's breakfast.

In a nutshell:
Week 19 FBG 5.4 72.0 kg
Week 20 FBG 5.4 72.5 kg
Week 21 FBG 4.4 70.0 kg

Never felt hungry.
Mrs Hj commented this morning when I was getting on the scales.... "Even for you, you're looking a bit thin"!

Amazing what missing lunch can do.
Did you have breakfast or were you effectively one meal a day?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have breakfast or were you effectively one meal a day?

No, breakfast was 1 stick of celery with salt added, 10 olives, 30g cheese and 15 g pumpkin seeds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @hankjam but don't let yourself get too thin.. Have you got a weight target in mind?

mark3evo

i do 5 :2 diet , only 500 calories on twice a week fasting- its real easy

the advantage is it helps with iunsulin sensitivity, whilst pre-diabetic now, i do this to reduce the growth hormone IGF-1 which promotes cancer

nearly finished chemo to eradicate lymphoma

i was 106 kg now 90kg another 10kg to go

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent @hankjam . I am like you. BMI around 21 and cannot see where to loose weight ( apart from inside :))

I will try your approach and see what it does to me. I have just had eggs, avocado and coffee so could skip till tomorrow afternoon and will capture my BS over this period.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Brilliant result @hankjam. I think again that your LCHF regime positioned you perfectly to not only deliver the results but to clearly identify what changed.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Psyllium husk is fibre with no absorbable carbs. Great for constipation. Mix it with your favourite beverage (it has not taste but depending on how much you use ? one to two tablespoons it may go into a stiff jelly. One tablespoon per cup of fluid is probably enough dilution.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This popped up 8n youtube today. Just summat to be aware of.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This popped up 8n youtube today. Just summat to be aware of.

Phinney isn't a fan of fasting but then again most of his "customer" base are athletes rather than overweight Type 2's. I'd really love to see him and Jason Fung argue it out one day. In the real world I think that Jason has had so much success with his fasting regimes that he will be proved correct in the end. Phinney has been advocating low carb fory ears and I think he fears a backlash if someone comes to harm through fasting, I think he is on record somewhere saying that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Phinney isn't a fan of fasting but then again most of his "customer" base are athletes rather than overweight Type 2's. I'd really love to see him and Jason Fung argue it out one day. In the real world I think that Jason has had so much success with his fasting regimes that he will be proved correct in the end. Phinney has been advocating low carb fory ears and I think he fears a backlash if someone comes to harm through fasting, I think he is on record somewhere saying that.

I did wonder about the opposing views between Phinney and Fung as I viewed Fung's vid on protein/muscle loss a while back.

What I took from Phinney's vid was that anyone contemplating extended fasts should be aware of sodium, magnesium and potassium levels plus keeping an eye on dietary protein. It is a habit of mine to hear opposing views sometimes.

Edited to add.

I have not seen much on Re Feeding but it seems to me that Phinney's comments on deaths from this were regarding people who were starved and not on people who were voluntarily fasting but I may have misunderstood.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
This is normal for scientific types to argue. It good and healthy. It’s the scientific method. Admittedly Phinney used old papers but that doesn’t mean he’s wrong. I have watched the Q&A after this and he has a direct “go” at Fung. we all have to remember that we may or may not have to change our minds about what is the correct method as more information comes in

Personally I’m siding with Fung on this one. I think Phinney is flapping too much about what would happen if someone died fasting. There is no doubt it will and has happened. He has stated his fear on this matter

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello .I think Dr. Fung is right .I cured my type 2 diabetes .Yes as i mentioned before the medics will say i am only in remission.But i have been totally free of type 2 diabetes for over a year now .With going on a 24 hour alternate fasting i have lost over 3 st. in weight and reduced my blood sugar back to normal.all my many complications have cleared With the weight loss i can now fit into clothes i bought 30 +years ago although i must admit some are dated.According to Dr Fung Ordinary weight loss diets do not work You will loose weight at first then you reach a point were you stop losing weight and pile the fat back on again .which has happened to me.A friend of mine and his family went a cabbage soup diet.They lost a lot of weight between them. got fed up of eating cabbage soup . and piled all the fat back on again .What a waste of time. After been on the fasting diet and not putting any weight back I am very pleased at the results .I read Dr Fungs The Obesity Code It made total sense to me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello .I think Dr. Fung is right .I cured my type 2 diabetes .Yes as i mentioned before the medics will say i am only in remission.But i have been totally free of type 2 diabetes for over a year now .With going on a 24 hour alternate fasting i have lost over 3 st. in weight and reduced my blood sugar back to normal.all my many complications have cleared With the weight loss i can now fit into clothes i bought 30 +years ago although i must admit some are dated.According to Dr Fung Ordinary weight loss diets do not work You will loose weight at first then you reach a point were you stop losing weight and pile the fat back on again .which has happened to me.A friend of mine and his family went a cabbage soup diet.They lost a lot of weight between them. got fed up of eating cabbage soup . and piled all the fat back on again .What a waste of time. After been on the fasting diet and not putting any weight back I am very pleased at the results .I read Dr Fungs The Obesity Code It made total sense to me.

The "cured" word is an interesting one in this parts. So are you able to eat items previously restricted or is your fasting now part of your current routine? If it is the latter, then I would suggest it's controlled.

Weight loss diets: I've read a lot about "diets" don't work. After diagnosis I lost 25 kg, down from 95 kg.... and wondered when I would "yo yo".... for the last 3 years and 4 months, since I flat-lined following diagnosis, I had an average weight of 71.4 kg (StDev 0.9, n = 90)... if my weight increases it will be for two reasons that I can see. (i) my diabetes gets the better of me and I get trashed or (ii) I no longer follow a LCHF feeding regime. I hope the former will not happen as the latter is will never happen.

Reactions: rab5

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello .Hankjam. I can eat what i like without any adverse effects I'm not on the fasting diet now i just eat normal meals I do check my blood sugar which is normal my fasting blood sugar reading this morning was 5.3 mml i don't check it every day only now and again.I used to take 100 mg of the beta blocker drugAtenolol for blood pressure every day for at least 25 years i refused to take statins i asked the Dr. if she would take me off Atenolol As id read a medical report saying taking Atenolol can increase the chances of the onset of type 2 diabetes by 50% .She refused to take me off them .So i weaned myself of them ,giving me a better chance of curing my diabetes.It did not make the slightest difference to my blood pressure.and i started to feel much better no more trying catch my breath etc.It did not cure my diabetes completely The fasting diet did that.Of course i don't want this horrible metabolic disorder back.But so far so good.

Reactions: rab5

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello .Hankjam. I can eat what i like without any adverse effects I'm not on the fasting diet now i just eat normal meals I do check my blood sugar which is normal my fasting blood sugar reading this morning was 5.3 mml i don't check it every day only now and again.I used to take 100 mg of the beta blocker drugAtenolol for blood pressure every day for at least 25 years i refused to take statins i asked the Dr. if she would take me off Atenolol As id read a medical report saying taking Atenolol can increase the chances of the onset of type 2 diabetes by 50% .She refused to take me off them .So i weaned myself of them ,giving me a better chance of curing my diabetes.It did not make the slightest difference to my blood pressure.and i started to feel much better no more trying catch my breath etc.It did not cure my diabetes completely The fasting diet did that.Of course i don't want this horrible metabolic disorder back.But so far so good.

Sounds good to me. Nice work.
:)