An update I suppose!

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Hello, everyone! It's been a long one and a half years with some major lifestyle changes...
So to start things off, I discovered my diabetes after I passed out at work. I work as a nurse and the symptoms were kinda piling up, so I decided it was time to face facts and get that blood sugar taken. Surprise, surprise... it was 22. HbA1c was close to 12% and my vision was quite blurry. Yet my bloodsugar and health in general were fine.
A lot of people, including myself, thought I was much too young to have T2DM and therefore we missed it. That's a very huge misconception!
Shortly after my previous postings, I started studying to become a nurse of ophthalmology with subspecialization into diabetic retinopathy. Sice then I've encountered T2s that were quite like me!
Well, anyways; I would just like to tell you my story in hopes that it will somehow inspire someone somewhere out there to do whatever they can to make this illness better for themselves.
I was on insulin last time I was here and I would use insulin for two weeks following. From day one I used the shock of discovering my diagnosis to throw all refined sugars out of our house. Ready-made meals were discarded and we adopted the LCHF immediately. At first my target was close to 0 grams of carbs, but my blood sugar kept dropping (especially when I had my walks!) and eventually I was worried enough that I stopped taking the insulin. I kept doing the metformin, however, and I saw that my BG never moved over 6 anymore. I had expected it to increase more when I ate massive portions. Bit of a binge eater, guilty as charged!
In spite of this, I decided I would no longer take my metformin either. In total, my medical treatment of the diabetes lasted just under a month.
Since the day I discovered I had diabetes I have lost 35 kgs and inspired friends and family to adopt my lifestyle to the best of their abilities, but lacking the powerful motivator I have, they find it a bit difficult at times. I, however, have never once indulged in eating sugary treats or nothing!
This is not just something I'm saying to brag, but I believe this could be part of the key to my success. I found that sugar was a very hard addiction to shed and perhaps by cutting it out entirely, I was able to shed my kilos and make the proper adjustments so that I would no longer have to think about the diabetes as much.
All-in-all, I am sad to say that getting the diagnosis is probably the best thing that could have happened to my health. In my nudes I look a bit strange. My ass hangs like a deflated baloon, my chest is not particularly masculine, but I feel great all-in-all and it has definitively been worth it.
Thank you all for helping me get started on this long journey to recovery!
I know I still got the ol' bettus and I always will, until there's a cure, at least, but it's quite the load off my mind not having to worry about it no more.

On a side note:

Since my career path took me to diabetic eye disorders, I wanted to offer to write a comprehensible guide to eye disorders if anyone's interested. It's a feared complication (though really not as bad as it used to be) that can scare any of us. Heck, it still scares me at times.

Well, I'll be sure to answer some threads about it at least!
Thank you all for your help!

Reactions: Freema

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a heartwarming status this is. You have really turned things around. Thank you for sharing. I have no doubt you will inspire many fellow diabetics with the details of your journey. And you have inspired friends and family to make better choices too. Your idea of writing a book on eye disorders is genius and would make a very interesting read. It worries me as my mum suffered with sight loss due to diabetic complications. It scares me too. Well done on your success. And thanks again for sharing.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @SugarDaddy91
Brilliant results so very well done indeed for taking control of your health.
That carb addiction is strong so kudos for beating it.
Here's to your new lighter and healthier future.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, everyone! It's been a long one and a half years with some major lifestyle changes...
So to start things off, I discovered my diabetes after I passed out at work. I work as a nurse and the symptoms were kinda piling up, so I decided it was time to face facts and get that blood sugar taken. Surprise, surprise... it was 22. HbA1c was close to 12% and my vision was quite blurry. Yet my bloodsugar and health in general were fine.
A lot of people, including myself, thought I was much too young to have T2DM and therefore we missed it. That's a very huge misconception!
Shortly after my previous postings, I started studying to become a nurse of ophthalmology with subspecialization into diabetic retinopathy. Sice then I've encountered T2s that were quite like me!
Well, anyways; I would just like to tell you my story in hopes that it will somehow inspire someone somewhere out there to do whatever they can to make this illness better for themselves.
I was on insulin last time I was here and I would use insulin for two weeks following. From day one I used the shock of discovering my diagnosis to throw all refined sugars out of our house. Ready-made meals were discarded and we adopted the LCHF immediately. At first my target was close to 0 grams of carbs, but my blood sugar kept dropping (especially when I had my walks!) and eventually I was worried enough that I stopped taking the insulin. I kept doing the metformin, however, and I saw that my BG never moved over 6 anymore. I had expected it to increase more when I ate massive portions. Bit of a binge eater, guilty as charged!
In spite of this, I decided I would no longer take my metformin either. In total, my medical treatment of the diabetes lasted just under a month.
Since the day I discovered I had diabetes I have lost 35 kgs and inspired friends and family to adopt my lifestyle to the best of their abilities, but lacking the powerful motivator I have, they find it a bit difficult at times. I, however, have never once indulged in eating sugary treats or nothing!
This is not just something I'm saying to brag, but I believe this could be part of the key to my success. I found that sugar was a very hard addiction to shed and perhaps by cutting it out entirely, I was able to shed my kilos and make the proper adjustments so that I would no longer have to think about the diabetes as much.
All-in-all, I am sad to say that getting the diagnosis is probably the best thing that could have happened to my health. In my nudes I look a bit strange. My ass hangs like a deflated baloon, my chest is not particularly masculine, but I feel great all-in-all and it has definitively been worth it.
Thank you all for helping me get started on this long journey to recovery!
I know I still got the ol' bettus and I always will, until there's a cure, at least, but it's quite the load off my mind not having to worry about it no more.

On a side note:

Since my career path took me to diabetic eye disorders, I wanted to offer to write a comprehensible guide to eye disorders if anyone's interested. It's a feared complication (though really not as bad as it used to be) that can scare any of us. Heck, it still scares me at times.

Well, I'll be sure to answer some threads about it at least!
Thank you all for your help!

Wow what a great progress amazing results in such a short time

Reactions: ziggy_w

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
That's amazing, many congratulations! Well done on your studies as well, brilliant.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and keep up the good work. The book idea sounds a good idea.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Thank you all for your kind comments!
I have already written down a few words about diabetic retinopathy in the subsection if anyone would like to proofread it! :)
I am not very proficient in English, so I would be glad to have anyone proofread it :)