Anaemia or Arthrits

Mrmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello again, I'm a 42 year oldT1 who was diagnosed three years ago, I also suffer from Iron deficiency anaemia, I have been taking medication for this however recently I have been feeling worse, my symptoms are similar to Hypos but my blood sugar readings are either in range or if anything slightly high. I know my HB level has gone up this year. I went to my GP this week as sometimes I an only do anything for about 10 mins until my muscles start to feel really week etc. My GP seams to think it isn't my anaemia but could be because my HB level has risen, they have requested more blood tests but also suspect it could be Rheumatoid Arthritis, any one else have similar problems?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t comment on your type 1 as I am a type 2, however I do know that HbA1cs (if that’s what you’re referring to as HB) are not accurate in the presence of anaemia. @Bluetit1802 knows more about this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t comment on your type 1 as I am a type 2, however I do know that HbA1cs (if that’s what you’re referring to as HB) are not accurate in the presence of anaemia. @Bluetit1802 knows more about this.

Thanks for the tag.

@Mrmcc

It is common knowledge among the experts and medical profession that the HbA1c can be falsely high or falsely low when anaemia is present. In the case of iron deficiency anaemia, the HbA1c can be falsely elevated.

The following link is one of many about the unreliability of the HbA1c when someone has non-standard red blood cells, such as in the case of anaemia.

https://blog.designsforhealth.com/hemoglobin-a1c

Reactions: Rachox

Mrmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the tag.

@Mrmcc

It is common knowledge among the experts and medical profession that the HbA1c can be falsely high or falsely low when anaemia is present. In the case of iron deficiency anaemia, the HbA1c can be falsely elevated.

The following link is one of many about the unreliability of the HbA1c when someone has non-standard red blood cells, such as in the case of anaemia.

https://blog.designsforhealth.com/hemoglobin-a1c
Thank you for this, this makes a lot of sense as my regular blood sugar levels are quite good, My GP is still blamng the symptoms on my diabetes, so I have an appointment with the local Diabetic consultant to get his view, plus a blood test for Arthritis.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this, this makes a lot of sense as my regular blood sugar levels are quite good, My GP is still blamng the symptoms on my diabetes, so I have an appointment with the local Diabetic consultant to get his view, plus a blood test for Arthritis.

Let us know how you go on.