1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Animas Vibe pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Spicey245, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Spicey245

Spicey245 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Brava210 You have actually read my mind! I've been wrecking my brain everyday about this decision and I just keep coming back to that very fact, the 640G has lots of room for improvement in respect of it's sensors and CGM, whereby the Animas Vibe will probably be getting replaced at some point and I did find the menus quite difficult to navigate. Which is why I'm now almost certain I'll be going for the 640G. :)

Just out of interest (and I have asked @Spiker this question already), does anybody know how much the Dexcom Transmitters are when bought through Animas? Are they still £350 or do you get them a bit cheaper?

Probably doesn't matter now anyway as I've pretty much decided on the 640G but thought it would be interesting to know anyway. :)
    Thanks everyone!

#41 Spicey245, Apr 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a new animas pump in a couple of years as will have the all singing G6 sensor :) Transmitter is £335 from animas. My transmitter is 14 months old now and still going strong.

• Like Like x 3
    #42 CarbsRok, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  3. Spicey245

4. CarbsRok

Me and my big mouth had the warning this morning battery low :(
    I use the CGM all the time as get very good use from the sensors :)

5. Spicey245

Oh no! Well I suppose it's done you well though. Thanks. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. CarbsRok

It's still going will order a new transmitter tomorrow. :)

7. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sucks. :-(

8. CarbsRok

It sure did as it was Saturday when the alert sounded and Animas not open for orders on a Saturday.
    I'm half way through cutting a transmitter that @Engineer88 kindly posted to me. I've come to the conclusion that I'm no precision cutter with my multi tool :(

• Like Like x 2
  9. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

14 months is still very good for the transmitter. Do you know what causes them to drain faster or slower?

• Like Like x 2
  10. CarbsRok

No idea at all, did wonder though if it lasted longer with continuous use. The transmitter is still working 4 days after the low battery warning, mind you the readings are def not accurate so wouldn't trust it. Still waiting for the courier to turn up with the new transmitter. I shall then attempt to change the transmitter without having to remove the sensor. (cheap skate) :)

11. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@CarbsRok - I have heard of people doing that, how old is the sensor?

I ask because the transmitter only transmits data, I am pretty sure it doesn't actually do any calculations, or anything. So i can't see why a bad transmitter would affect the quality of readings, it would have to be a sensor or receiver issue.

Also - have you thought about leaving this on until it dies completely so you get a better idea of life after 'low battery' ? I have read some people getting up to 3 weeks with low battery warnings...

12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Although poor transmission could affect the data packets and result in incomplete data transmission. That could theoretically cause accuracy issues.

• Like Like x 6
  13. CarbsRok

The sensor is only a week old so plenty of life in it yet :) It was due a restart today so changed the transmitter just before the restart was due all is now working as I would expect i.e., in range. I had my monies worth from the transmitter 14 months and 12 days, so more than happy with that. In the UK the guarantee for the transmitter starts from the day of purchase as well so wasn't going to waste that :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vanster07

Vanster07 Type 1 · Member

Hi sorry i'm new to all this, (not being a type 1, 35 years man and boy) anyway i'm getting a pump for first time tomorrow an accu chek insight from clinic was just wondering why or how you were offered all these different pump and cgm combs because when i asked about getting a cgm i was told the nhs dont offer them?
    What am i doing wrong because id love to have a pump and cgm?????

15. Spiker

@Vanster07 Almost no one gets a CGM off the NHS. Those that have them generally have to pay their own costs.

16. CarbsRok

Well there are two pumps that are cgm compatible, so most of us who want a CGM choose these pumps as it's cheaper in the long run for self funding the transmitter and sensors as no receiver to buy as already in the pump :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vanster07

oh sorry i must have misread your first comment as I thought you were being offered by an nhs clinic different pump options, so i'm assuming your self funding it all then pump and cgm combo.
    its a bit annoying that the cgms have such a short year long life, as i was considering a cgm to go along with my accu chek insight but think it might get a bit expensive especially as were a captive market greed, greed, greed

18. Spiker

If there wasn't a profit to be made in selling CGMs there would be 3 of them in the entire world, they would weight 50 lbs each and be the size of an army rucksack. So, take your pick.

19. Spicey245

Pumps are funded by NHS but the Sensors and transmitters for the CGM are self funded. Two pumps which have a built in CGM receiver are Animas Vibe and Medtronic 640G. Animas Vibe uses the Dexcom G4 sensors/transmitters and Medtronic do their own transmitter and Enlite sensors. I will be getting Medtronic 640G pump in the next few weeks (fingers crossed). :)

20. Vanster07

The drug and pharmaceutical companies always claim that the reason they are charging the consumers (us) or the nhs (oh us again) so much is to claim back the huge cost of the development but several years later when the have spent 10 million on development but gained 10 billion in profit they keep on charging that's the greed part. They will develop anything that makes big profits so no it wouldn't be the size of a ruck sack. How about 10 billion profit and then let us type 1's have it for free or reasonable prices?????
    Anyway Spicey good luck with the 640 and let us know how you get on as i might get one too!!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook