Animas vibe

iHs

Jess

Hope the hospital will sort you out......probably with abit of sliding scale iv for a while yo get you stabilised again. If the problem is with the insulin you were using, then take up the matter with the pharmacy and the warehouse where medical drugs are despatched from and then with Lilly if necessary. Ive never used dodgy insulin myself but there's a first time for everything.
Hope you get ok again soon xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good call, Jess. I hope the hospital get your sugars down quickly and you feel a lot better very soon.

Do update us if you find the cause of your problems later. I find with pumps things can go wrong quickly and it can be quite frightening. My last episode of highs terrified me. The cause for me was poor absorption. I changed the type of set I used, increased my basals a little too, and everything got back to normal.

All the best -

Azure

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Just got home. Have spike to Animas rep, he was good as gold. Stripped the pump down, new insulin, new cannula. Left the hospital on a 7.3, had ham & eggs at about 3pm was starving, got home, did bm - 16.3 so injected 3 units but got the pump running. Rep reckons may just need more insulin & has told me that even though I don't like running so high it won't hurt just til get things sorted. Will call from my Pump nurse tomorrow & go from there. Hoping numbers come down. Thank you for your kind & helpful messages, really appreciate it ☺

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Glad you're ok and got home again. Do think about using the TBR for a while until you can get yr bg a bit lower and then do a bit od basal rate adjusting. Eat lowish carb for a while. I changed from the Combo to the Vibe last year but sorted out the 12 time slots on the Vibe myself by adding together 2 hourly Combo rates and then dividing them by 2 to get one 2hr time slot on the Vibe okish and then did a bit of bg testing to see if I needed to adjust the rate. I do at times need to tweak the basals a bit and have just git used to it all now instead of worrying.

Try using the Inset 30 as its so much easier to use than the Inset II and the introducer is thin and sharp so is painless to insert.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes will try them, will ring up tomorrow & place an order

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Another thought for you, the basal pattern you are using just check the whole 24 hours is compatible with what you had on your old pump. IE, if you were using 24 units make sure 24 is the total for that pattern. So go to menu , then pick basal click on basal 1 and see what it shows.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that at this point you should make sure you re-check all of your basal settings, and that you insulin sensitivity, and insulin to carb ratios are correct.

Also, if this was me and i kept see raises like that i after the second jump i would start injecting corrections with a needle, just to make sure they are being delivered until i see my numbers in the normal range, THEN try using the pump again. Also, i would switch my diet up to much lower carb just to prevent extreme highs like you have seen.. Those are only things i would consider.

I did find that after i started my pump i have pretty much doubled all my settings that the doctor set for me because the basal was much to low, and the insulin to carb ration was as well. So just because the doctor set it, it mean its right - it can only be right if it works regardless of what their math, experience, and analysis says - if it doesn't work for YOU its not the 'correct' settings!

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My other half & I spoke about it, we had different ideas on when I left hospital, he thought I should go back on injections where as I wanted to stay on pump!

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The hospital gave me nova rapid to go away with, they thought I should go back on injections til I got pump sorted. We just had quite a heated discussion, I know he's only looking out for me but I'm the 1 with diabetes

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have spoken to my pump nurse today, she has said do some basal rate testing, she also thought that it could be the cannula. Have been low carbing all day, 1 bit bacon for breakfast, Turkey salad lunch & doing lasagne tonight

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are your sugars staying down, Jess? I hope things are improving.

Your pump nurse could be right. The sets are the weakest link as far as pumps go, many people find.

Shortly after posting in this thread, MY sugars starting going weird in the mornings. It's always a horrible jolt when that happens. For me, it was because it was time to move to a new site area. But it reminded me how quickly things can change with a pump. When they're working well they're fantastic, but when something goes awry it can be very worrying.

Keep us updated. I'd be interested to know if you discover what the cause of your highs was.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Azure, numbers are ok. This am was 11 8 & it seemed to stay around there for a good couple of hours. 2pm - was 8.3, then dropped to 3.9 at 5.30 pm. Been low carbing today, had meat & salad for tea. Currently got the set in my leg

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reckon some basal testing in the morning needs doing, woke up this am 6.9, had breakfast about an hour after getting up,had 2 poached eggs on toast, gave correct bolus, hour &half later bm- 18.6 , corrected with 3 units. Then this afternoon hit 23.8! Has come down now after alot of insulin & no sight change.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jess can you describe to me how you are filling the cartridge please?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I unscrew the cartridge, rewind the pump. Draw up my Humalog to 2ml nark, always check for air bubbles. once done insert cartridge

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep I unscrew the cartridge, rewind the pump. Draw up my Humalog to 2ml nark, always check for air bubbles. once done insert cartridge
What I meant was how do you fill the cartridge with your insulin, from start to finish ie how do you move the plunger and in what direction?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok So I put air in the insulin, turn bottle upside down, pull plunger down to draw insulin (slowly) checking for air bubbles, if I get any I flick the cartridge & push the plunger up to get them out

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess are you moving the plunger back and forth before filling to lubricate the reservoir? This is an important step as otherwise the plunger doesn't move as smoothly and might result in less insulin being bolused.

Also do you prime 5 drops out before reconnecting? Is your tubing changed regularly? I can't understand how your figures can shoot so high. The only other thing is maybe you need to try combo bolus. Animas delivers insulin all straight away but other pumps deliver bolus over 5 minutes. I find with some sites this makes a huge difference to my bolus readings.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MushyPeaBrain - no I haven't moved plunger back & forth, didn't realise I needed to do that! Have just changed insulin now & have done that. Had porridge this am with coconut milk, gave correct bolus & hour later bm was 18, woke up on a 6. Put the cannula in my back, given 4 units & put TBR up 50%

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jess, read the instructions in your cartridge box.
It's very important you follow them exactly otherwise you will get some awful results with blood sugars. I suspect 90% of your problems are due to not lubricating the cartridge properly.
Surely you had to do this when on your other pump?