1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Annual blood test and diabetes checks still happening?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by nsh2111, Jun 8, 2020.

1. suzyjane

suzyjane Type 1 · Newbie

Hi I’m a type 1 diabetic my clinic appointment has been postponed indefinitely and my gp practice is not seeing any patients unless it is an emergency!! I am due for my yearly check up next month but now I have to wait I do not know how long. I’m in Scotland.

#41 suzyjane, Jun 16, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
  2. bkr

bkr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had mine a few weeks ago, staff wearing appropriate ppe etc..

3. peterg251

peterg251 Type 1 · Newbie

I have had all of my regular checks cancelled, including my regular post-prostate cancer blood tests, my cataract surgery that I have waited two years for and my diabetic podiatrist checks. I have no idea as to how NHS England is handling things but NHS Scotland has practically shut down. I will thank them for checking me out at A&E when my cornea got scratched but there were more nurses and doctors there than patients.

4. Looby 2

Looby 2 Type 2 · Newbie

Just had my blood test today and will have a telephone appointment with diabetic nurse next week. They are still going ahead but in a different format.

5. Nic39

Nic39 · Member

No. Mine was due march. No contact at all from doctors. Also awaiting a follow up eye appt at hospital but I expected that to be delayed

6. Lowcarb 2

Lowcarb 2 Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Hi I have missed my annual eye test and had my bloods last taken inJanuary but i look at it this way my diabetic nurse is only a phone call away if I need reassurance other than that I feel it's down to me to watch my levels and what I eat and see !myself through these uncertain times, because i know if there was anything to worry about they would find a way for me attend an appointment, I am just waiting it out and I am sure some time soon we will start receiving letters and appointments to attend the main thing is to feel that you can cope with help from family and friends on this forum and that you are quite capable of taking care of yourself, I feel for the first time since I have been diagnosed that I can do this, I do not have to worry and there is help there if needed and that the eye test and blood test part and parcel of our condition and I will not fall apart or crumble just because I have not had these test for a while

7. secretary47

secretary47 Type 2 · Newbie

Not yet, should have been in Feb (normally April), GP changed to month of birth (so I did not forget!!!), am housebound and still waiting.

8. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi there - my yearly bloods/review was cancelled for end of March and my retinopathy appointment at the hospital has been re-arranged for July (if it goes ahead) instead of April.

9. johen

johen Type 1 · Active Member

All my appointments have been cancelled, eye clinic (and I have retinopathy) diabetes nurse and consultant clinic appointment. I haven't seen anyone since the end of 2019 and I have no idea when I will.

10. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I received a letter (in March/April) saying all routine appointments were cancelled, at my diabetes centre. If we have any problems there was a number to call to speak to a DSN. I was due my annual review earlier this month and have no idea when I'll get it. I feel confident that I can deal with any problems I might have (touch wood!!) but I am sure there will be plenty of patients who won't feel that way.

11. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

According to my surgery they are restarting diabetic clinics in July or August which means that, whilst I’ve missed my 6 month check, I will hopefully have my annual one give or take a month or two. However Asthma clinics are still not being done.

12. LindiePops

LindiePops Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got a letter today to say that my annual Diabetic check at the hospital will now be done by phone consultation in a couple of weeks. No request for me to get bloods done beforehand despite my last HBA1C being done June'19. They won't have my Blood Glucose Monitor results. I won't be having my feet checked, my urine checked or weight checked (eyes due to be checked at a separate appt in August). Can't see it being a long chat with them having no recent info to go on.......

13. Andy2

Andy2 Type 2 · Member

Hi, I have been trying a low carb diet and at the moment I'm battling bread. however I have managed NOT to eat bread or any other white carb for a month. however my BS test this morning was 8.2. I'm really shocked and concerned as I seem to be unable to bring these numbers down. Any ideas??

14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Could be al sorts of things.. feeling ill? stressed? if I get an out of kilter reading I tend to re-test and see.
    What level do you usually see in the morning?

15. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

What are your numbers like at other times of the day? Many find their morning, fasted level is the last to get into good shape.

16. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed last year I wax told they would check annually, no 3-6 month checks for me, but as they had to close their list fir being oversubscribed no surprise.
    And of course due to covid-19 health reviews were the first thing to go out the window.

17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I have a telephone appointment on Wednesday for asthma clinic when I arranged it at the surgery's request I asked about blood tests for diabetic review and to check my kidney function as that has not been done for a while and is supposed to be regularly checked I was told to ask the nurse on Wednesday as the receptionist did not know if they are being done or not.

18. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I did receive a call back after a few weeks have reduced Basel rates but now weather cooler have had to increase again (thankfully Hypo awareness has increased. ) Hot weather always affects me. Only the odd hypo now and soon corrected. No longer feeling overwhelmed with Diabetes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook