Annual check up & blood tests - question

MelanieL

I'm going crazy, as I've been T1 for 10 or more years, but I'm confused. It's time for my annual check up, with the usual blood tests that precede the event. This year, when I booked it, the GP receptionist told me that I needed to fast for 12 hours, which is fair enough, but he also told me that I must not have any fluids - even water.
I didn't query it at the time, but now, confronted with the test tomorrow, the thought of not a drop of water between now and 9.30 in the morning seems unusual, and I can't remember if I was told the same thing last year!
What does everyone else do prior to their tests? Water, or no water?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No restriction on water, in fact it is good to be hydrated as it makes extracting blood easier. I was told once by a receptionist not to drink water, my DN said " where do they get these people from?"

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is normal to allow water. It isn't good for the blood flow to be dehydrated, so it makes it more difficult to draw.
You aren't having any different tests for something else other than your normal ones are you?
It is better to fast if your test includes cholesterol and lipids as anything you eat beforehand can affect the result (adversely)

D

Deleted member 308541

The pathology shop I get my blood test done at have this pdf with instructions on what to do prior to fasting blood tests

Blood tests: fasting In the 3 hours after you eat, many chemicals in your blood undergo significant changes.

These changes can also occur if you do not eat for an extended period (more than 16 hours). Because of this, many blood tests should be collected in the morning after an overnight fast.

Fasting means that you eat and drink nothing except water for 8 –16 hours before your blood test (12 hours optimal).

General guidelines:

During your fast, you may drink water, but it must contain no additives (e.g. tea, coffee, or cordials).

You should avoid alcohol for 72 hours (3 days) prior to the test, if possible.

Unless your doctor advises otherwise, you should continue taking any current medication. However, you should avoid smoking cigarettes while fasting.

You should try to avoid fasting for more than 16 hours.

Diabetics should not fast without medical advice.

Your doctor will advise if you are required to fast for your blood test.

For more information, please telephone Patient Services Support on 1300 732 03

http://www.snp.com.au/media/80135/item_34167_blood_tests_fasting_july_2016.pdf

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How timely is this post. I’m going for my diabetic bloods tomorrow too! I haven’t been told to fast, never have done but in an attempt to prop up my argument against Statins I’ve decided to fast to get the most accurate lipid screen! I was going to ask if it was just water I could drink. I was hoping a black coffee would be allowed :banghead:

D

Deleted member 308541

I was hoping a black coffee would be allowed :banghead:
Nope, sorry no flavouring in the water.

As per the pdf file I quoted before.

During your fast, you may drink water, but it must contain no additives (e.g. tea, coffee, or cordials).

I was really hanging out for my heartstarter coffee on Monday morning myself.