Morganconti

Hey,
I am currently in counselling for an eating disorder. Is it possible to have anorexia and diabetes because I’ve only ever heard of diabetics who have diabulimia.

anyone who could possibly comment would be much appreciated

thank you

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a clue, but just want to say hi and welcome and that the forum gets pretty quiet this time of night. Am sure you'll have responses tomorrow

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Morganconti and welcome to the forums. I would say yes, it's just more common for T1s to have diabulimia because skipping insulin is a relatively easy way to lose weight. Though I've got to say, it's hard not to eat when you are hypo, so maybe anorexia is rarer for T1s?

There's a specific subforum for eating disorders in the T1 forum

Eating disorders and diabetes | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

which you could look at.

But anorexia, diabulimia and bulimia are just the eating disorders that everyone has heard of. There are a whole lot of them out there that don't fit into tidy boxes. EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) is very common and just means that you don't fit into any of the named categories.

Is your counsellor helping you? Do they know about diabetes as well as eating disorders?

Good luck. Eating disorders are a hard health condition to deal with and adding T1 to the mix has got to make it harder. (I have a non diabetic family member who had EDNOS when she was your age. She got over it, but it was really difficult time for her.)

Lots of virtual hugs.

Reactions: ert