Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One thing is for sure, you put your cows on any piece of land and the land will benefit whereas you use the land for monoculture and the land suffers. It would be interesting to see the stats for emissions from fertiliser factories/plants and those from Big Chem producing pesticides and herbicides - something I've never heard anyone (from either side of the debate) mention.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing is for sure, you put your cows on any piece of land and the land will benefit whereas you use the land for monoculture and the land suffers. It would be interesting to see the stats for emissions from fertiliser factories/plants and those from Big Chem producing pesticides and herbicides - something I've never heard anyone (from either side of the debate) mention.
They also add in transport costs and packaging as a negative . Bananas and most of our veg come from offshore so who is calling the kettle black? How many cucumbers are wrapped in single use plastic? Why shrink wrap melons and apples in black plastic trays?
http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/home/en/news_archive/2017_More_Fuel_for_the_Food_Feed.html

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They also add in transport costs and packaging as a negative . Bananas and most of our veg come from offshore so who is calling the kettle black? How many cucumbers are wrapped in single use plastic? Why shrink wrap melons and apples in black plastic trays?
http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/home/en/news_archive/2017_More_Fuel_for_the_Food_Feed.html

Coincidentally, I was saying similar yesterday. When I was younger we had one (now old fashioned) metal dustbin and it took a week to fill it. I now have three wheelie bins that sometimes overflow with all the gubbins (mostly plastic packaging). One packet of biscuits does not require three layers of packaging, surely? The blame is often placed on customers when a lot of this plastic is soley to prolong shelf life.
Without a degree in biochemistry I am still convinced that turnips do not require shrink wrapping!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Shrink wrap for cucumbers has been shown to significantly reduce waste.

It seems to me that the stream of anti-vegan posts on the forum lately do little to promote discussion about managing diabetes and purely fuel bad feeling.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

It seems to me that the stream of anti-vegan posts on the forum lately do little to promote discussion about managing diabetes and purely fuel bad feeling.

But you have to admit that the Big Push by EAT-Lancet will inevitably fuel discussion?
Diet plays a huge part in the treatment of T2. I think that this discussion is, therefore, pertinent.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coincidentally, I was saying similar yesterday. When I was younger we had one (now old fashioned) metal dustbin and it took a week to fill it. I now have three wheelie bins that sometimes overflow with all the gubbins (mostly plastic packaging). One packet of biscuits does not require three layers of packaging, surely? The blame is often placed on customers when a lot of this plastic is soley to prolong shelf life.
Without a degree in biochemistry I am still convinced that turnips do not require shrink wrapping!

I read a report yesterday where primary schoolchildren are being given individually shrinkwrapped baby corncobs and apples in class during lessons on why they should become vegans, This is in our primary schools apparently and is now in the curriculum

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I read a report yesterday where primary schoolchildren are being given individually shrinkwrapped baby corncobs and apples in class during lessons on why they should become vegans, This is in our primary schools apparently and is now in the curriculum
Not had that message come home from our primary school - and they’ve just been doing ‘nutrition’ - carbohydrate was mentioned as essential though.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There was that case in the news recently of coconuts being packaged in plastics. That just defies logic imo.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

I think it is the fact that certain elements of Big Food are pushing their agenda which is anti meat and anti-dairy.
No one should be prevented from criticising their false reports and fake news.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not had that message come home from our primary school - and they’ve just been doing ‘nutrition’ - carbohydrate was mentioned as essential though.
The report was embedded in a twitter feed, so may not be genuine. Think it may be USA too, Will edit this post if I find it again.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. They have the Eatwell poster on the wall in our kids school.

I welcome Vegan threads. Whilst not being Vegan I respect the approach. And am interested in that approach.

On shrink wrapping, it is a pain in the butt but is done for a reason. Maybe not a good enough reason. I would be happier if we used less plastic on the planet, even if that does me out of employment which it will. :D

D

Deleted Account

I think I am missing something: how does veganism affect diabetes to the extent that any mention of it in mainstream media evokes a soapbox thread on a diabetes forum?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Same here. They have the Eatwell poster on the wall in our kids school.

I welcome Vegan threads. Whilst not being Vegan I respect the approach. And am interested in that approach.

On shrink wrapping, it is a pain in the butt but is done for a reason. Maybe not a good enough reason. I would be happier if we used less plastic on the planet, even if that does me out of employment which it will. :D

This is not about disrespecting the choices that a person might make re a vegan diet. This is all about junk science and pointing the finger.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you have to admit that the Big Push by EAT-Lancet will inevitably fuel discussion?
Diet plays a huge part in the treatment of T2. I think that this discussion is, therefore, pertinent.

Ethical choice + BG management = a discussion on diet & the effects there of..

I don't wish to see this green & pleasant land void of grazing cattle.
However, it's not ethical to throw a "conspiracy grenade" into a specific health support topic either.

Reactions: WuTwo

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not about disrespecting the choices that a person might make re a vegan diet. This is all about junk science and pointing the finger.
My post still stands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.