Another BBC report with a Vegan bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Account

Clause B3 of the Forum Rules states "Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices."

The continuous knocking of media articles regarding plant-based diets, suggests an insensitivity around a vegan dietary choice.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ethical choice + BG management = a discussion on diet & the effects there of..

I don't wish to see this green & pleasant land void of grazing cattle.
However, it's not ethical to throw a "conspiracy grenade" into a specific health support topic either.

I am not a conspiracy theorist. I do not care what one chooses to have for dinner, I do care that blame is targetted based on dodgy science by people who choose to ignore the elephant/s in the room.

Reactions: Member496333

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I am missing something: how does veganism affect diabetes to the extent that any mention of it in mainstream media evokes a soapbox thread on a diabetes forum?
I have not seen many success testimonials from diabetics who used a vegan only diet, especially from non insulin users. Many diets described on this forum use a low carb approach, for which animal products often feature as a central component simply because it is difficult doing Low Carb on a vegetable only diet. If you kill off all the livestock, overfish the seas and ban eggs as advocated by the militant wing of Veganism aka EAT Lancet, FAO, Guardian, Harvard, Oxford Martin, school and others, BBC, then that will have a huge impact on many members on this site. If anyone wants to follow a vegan WOE, then I am not woried so long as it is by choice. It is this removal of choice that I am standing up to. it is the vegan activists in Wales that invade and destroy farmers liveliehoods if they have animals, and the corruption of scientific endeavour that is dangerous and anti humanity. All in the name of Big Business and some bored billionaires. Eat Lancet was paid for by over 40 large plant based businesses, is staffed almost 100% with vegan supporting scientists, so this is not myth or mirrors, Page 2 of the EAT Lancet report proudly lists them all in broad daylight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802
M

Member496333

These articles get repeatedly ridiculed because they are reporting science fiction instead of science. Nothing to do with people’s dietary choices. We are here to share our views and experiences, and whilst no one wishes to intentionally offend, no one should feel the need to tread on egg shells either. That does not promote healthy discussion, just platitudes.

This topic is in the soapbox forum so it should be self evident that it will contain a degree of controversy. Disagreement is fine but let’s not attempt to stifle freedom of expression.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not seen many success testimonials from diabetics who used a vegan only diet, especially from non insulin users. Many diets described on this forum use a low carb approach, for which animal products often feature as a central component simply because it is difficult doing Low Carb on a vegetable only diet. If you kill off all the livestock, overfish the seas and ban eggs as advocated by the militant wing of Veganism aka EAT Lancet, FAO, Guardian, Harvard, Oxford Martin, school and others, BBC, then that will have a huge impact on many members on this site. If anyone wants to follow a vegan WOE, then I am not woried so long as it is by choice. It is this removal of choice that I am standing up to. it is the vegan activists in Wales that invade and destroy farmers liveliehoods if they have animals, and the corruption of scientific endeavour that is dangerous and anti humanity. All in the name of Big Business and some bored billionaires. Eat Lancet was paid for by over 40 large plant based businesses, is staffed almost 100% with vegan supporting scientists, so this is not myth or mirrors, Page 2 of the EAT Lancet report proudly lists them all in broad daylight.
Yes but I like a few veggies with my low carb diet. It is possible to coexist peacefully. :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Clause B3 of the Forum Rules states "Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices."

The continuous knocking of media articles regarding plant-based diets, suggests an insensitivity around a vegan dietary choice.

No one is knocking an individual for being vegan. We are disputing the so called science that wants to limit our food choices and encourage us all to become vegan. As others have said plants would not be so nutritious without animals to fertilise the land.

People become vegan by choice. People aren't vegan through choice too. Long live choice.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The report was embedded in a twitter feed, so may not be genuine. Think it may be USA too, Will edit this post if I find it again.
Edit: Onable to find the thread I was following. In memory it was discussing how NYC has mandated that all schools and education establishments in the city along with all NYC public buildings obeserve No Meat Monday. This is backed by local statute and carries penalties if not incoporated. It goes further than the Scottish attempt to ensure that all eating places must legally offer a vegan alternative on their menu, but actually bans meat products, So I think the item I posted above is from the same place NYC.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said plants would not be so nutritious without animals to fertilise the land.

I can certainly vouch for that judging by the rich aroma in our neighbourhood yesterday. :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The point, which several posters seem to be deliberately missing, is that this part of the forum is called 'Diabetes Soapbox - have your say'.

Therefore, endlessly posting articles that are not diabetes related, and which are basically intended to air anti-vegan opinion, are inappropriate. News articles are often highlighted and discussed around here. But piggy backing anti-vegan discussion into a thread about bad journalism is just soapboxing for the sake of it.

No one is being gagged, discussions ebb and flow, and different diet choices are open for discussion. However, posters are requested to make their contributions appropriate to the forum and the thread in which they are posting. Posters who choose to smother vegetarian and vegan threads (which is happening increasingly often) without respecting dietary choices need to consider the relevance of their posts.
Please respect this in future.