Another dreadful night

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This morning at 4:30, I was woken by T1 husband taking my pillow from under my head. I tried to wake him to stop him being so silly and couldn't. I realised it might well be another hypo, so I found the meter and checked. 2.1 I got him half awake and gave him some lucozade. Checked again after 10 minutes 2.0!!. Gave him a bit more,when he snatched the bottle from me and spilled lucozade all over the bed. He then decided to go to the bathroom, I heard him fall and went to look. He'd fallen into the bath tub. His back against the wall and legs hanging over the side. I threatened to fetch my phone and take a picture, but didn't. He insisted he wasn't hurt, so I checked his BG again. 3.2, improving. After another few minutes, he managed to get himself out of that bathtub. At some stage he'd taken his pyjama top off, so I got him back into bed and pyjamas, put 2 VERY soggy pillows on the floor and got back into bed too. By now after 5:00am. and I was cold, heat goes off over night and I couldn't get back to sleep. I had to get up by 7 anyway to get to the swimming baths by 7:45, for my exercise class at 8:00. I'm like a Zombie now. I will make sure he cuts the glargine down tonight. . At least he got sensible before he went to work. I got home from exercise class to find all the bedclothes in th washer with 21 minutes left to finish their wash.. I'll go put them in the dryer now

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
That's horrible - and yes I don't feel night time hypos either but my body wakes me up in the night if I'm low so although I don't feel low I test myself. I think if your husband has a night time snack or lowers his Glargine (Lantus) then it will help. I sympathise with you as a partner because my partner has that sort of hell with me sometimes too - and I hate that he feels this way... in fact at the moment controlling my diabetes psychologically isn't working well at the moment. I rang yesterday for an operation to cure it, although it kills one in five and one in ten have to get the pancreas taken out again... i'm past caring.. as 11 years of hell is enough. I eat at night now to stop my sugars going low otherwise my boyfriend gets what you get and yeah I snatch and shout and once hit him over the head with the insulin box - all in the name of diabetes I'm afraid :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
the core of this problem is that since he was diagnosed with incipient kidney failure, I have been trying to get my husband to get his BGs down by using less insulin and eating fewer carbs. The hospital was telling him to keep increasing his insulin and eating up to it. Then they complain that he's put on so much weight. He's up around 17 stone, which even at 6'3" is FAR too Heavy. He's spent the last 30 years doing almost what they tell him to and has eye problems, destroyed feet and now kidneys in trouble. Of course their arguement is that he's a non-compliant patient. I suspect that had he been more compliant, he'd be in even more trouble. There's no other doctor in the area to appeal to for help, because he's seen by the consultant. So It's up to me to manage things. He won't. He never even asks the right questions.It's very worrying. I have to manage my own T2 on top of everything. I see my GP about the strips issue tomorrow and I'll add that to my pitch. If I'm below par, who will see to it that my husband survives? Not the hospital diabetician!!!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello hanadr,

Does your husband split his Lantus dose or inject the full 24 hours worth in one go?

Splitting the dose 50/50, AM/PM will help give a more even and predictable action. It sounds as though his Lantus is working far too aggressively.

Regards,
timo.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
HE splits it, but I'm sure it's too high. I think the clinic just plucked some numbers out of the air. Even at his weight I think he should be on a totoal of about 21 units. I did the sums. But he's on double that.

jopar

I can symthosie with you, both hubby and I are T1's... I generaly sleep through my night-time hypo's and feel like poo in the morning.. Where as hubby is a totally different matter indeed...

Experiences so far...

He almost broke my arm when I was trying to get hypo-stop into him (found in a complete water logged heep in settee) this hypo I had to call the parimedics out, as there was no way I was going to be able to bring him around... I prewarned control that he was beng aggressive, so two very large burly policemen was also sent along just in case and sat outside and waited...

On numerious occasions I've had luccozade in one hand and the phone in the other, threaten him that if he doesn't drink that I'm calling the parimedics, I know that by the time I've reached the 3rd 9, then I need to call for help...

The last time he had a night-time hypo, a couple of weeks back I was left with brusing on my arm where he had grab me...

But with saying that most times when he has a hypo he is just completelty stupid....

Mind you he does find that if he eats after 8pm everything goes to pot and becomes unperdictable!

So far we've never had a hypo at the same time, what sort of pickle we would end up in if we did goodness know... But I really don't want to find that one out...

lionrampant

Am I the only one around here who just ambles down to the kitchen and grabs a lucozade or bar of fudge? Does half the world get knocked drunk when they go hypo? What the hell causes this?

sugar2

Hey,
I really feel for you. I have done this to my poor hubby a few times...and felt very embarrased the following morning!

Don't know what to suggest about the consultant alas...mine has never even mentioned food, it is all about the insulin, so you are not alone there. Your hubby is very lucky to have you. It is very scary being so out of it, that you actually need someone elses help!

Lionrampant, until about 3 years ago, I would have said, no, you are not alone, because that is exactly what I did, and still do most ofthe time, but occasionally, I too am guilty of stealing the duvet/pillow from my husband, or worse, rambling incoherently at him. H etells me he then has the "Are you low...test your blood argument with me, and then forces me to eat something sugary. Apparently, I refuse because it will make me fat! The only way I know it has hapened is because I wake up freezing cold, because I am drenched in sweat...very sexy don't you think!

In my case, it happens, I think, because I am in that stage of really deep sleep, and nothing wakes me, hotel firealarms included.

Thank goodness for otherhalves! In my single days, it only happened once...and I eventually managed to sort myself out, but I have no iea how long it took me.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
lionrampant said:
Am I the only one around here who just ambles down to the kitchen and grabs a lucozade or bar of fudge? Does half the world get knocked drunk when they go hypo? What the hell causes this?

It depends on whether diabetics can feel their hypos - sometimes I get extremely moody and yet my body feels fine i.e. no weak legs, hunger, trembling or tingling of lips or normal symptoms of being low so it's very difficult to recognise. My BG can also drop very quickly which I've been told if it drops below 3mmol it's difficult to recognise the symptoms then and so dangerous. It isn't nice and not easy on our partners too when they have to pick up the pieces.

Jopar re your hubby and Sugar2 - it's a bit scary hearing about sleeping through night time hypos. I think you both should discuss this with the clinic as it is potentially very dangerous. I'm sure you know this but it's just if you leave a hypo it can get worse and lead to a possible coma. Maybe take less insulin and make sure the BG is a bit higher at bedtime or eating a night time snack to prevent this - just an idea :|

hanadr said:
the core of this problem is that since he was diagnosed with incipient kidney failure, I have been trying to get my husband to get his BGs down by using less insulin and eating fewer carbs. The hospital was telling him to keep increasing his insulin and eating up to it. Then they complain that he's put on so much weight. He's up around 17 stone, which even at 6'3" is FAR too Heavy. He's spent the last 30 years doing almost what they tell him to and has eye problems, destroyed feet and now kidneys in trouble. Of course their arguement is that he's a non-compliant patient. I suspect that had he been more compliant, he'd be in even more trouble. There's no other doctor in the area to appeal to for help, because he's seen by the consultant. So It's up to me to manage things. He won't. He never even asks the right questions.It's very worrying. I have to manage my own T2 on top of everything. I see my GP about the strips issue tomorrow and I'll add that to my pitch. If I'm below par, who will see to it that my husband survives? Not the hospital diabetician!!!

This sounds like hell - it's extremely difficult when the clinic doesn't help or is as I like to call it "non-compliant" :!: I have the same problem.. anything that is an issue such as frequent hypos or really bad symptoms they brush off as me not looking after my self or blinking non-compliant.. it sucks and yes it discourages me from wanting to ask questions or wanting to try. However people on this forum have helped me see otherwise and advised me to go to another clinic. I will be asking my GP to refer me as my clinic don't help at all and it sounds like the clinic you and your husband are at aren't too spectacular either. I think a little bit of encouragement goes a long way and you should not have to manage his diabetes alone. Speak to your local GP and see what options there are. Also tell your husband although it's difficult he can't give up, he musn't because with diabetes unfortunately it can't just disappear so it's up to us to keep motivated and get the proper help we need :!:

Trinkwasser

lionrampant said:

Some unknown factor.

I know someone elsewhere who suffers hypos so bad he needs a 911 run about every month (at about $1000 a time that is NOT fun) in his case the diabetes may be caused by radiation (he was working at Ground Zero after the early atomic tests) for some reason his liver never cuts in and whatever he does his control goes to hell every so often.

He has the scientific/engineering background that helps many gain enviable control but for some reason every so often his body just seems to rebel.