Another Low Carb Diet Success!

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for carrying on the good work. That's a fabulous amount of weight to have lost. Looking forwards to reading that the 12.5 stone target has been reached.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Emily,I must confess that I've let my hair down a bit since then so my loss currently sits somewhere between 5.5 and 6 stones.

This is great to read Andy, very inspiring but you should be ashamed your weight loss is only around 6 stones ;). Seriously, I'm over the moon if I can drop 4lbs!

S

Reactions: Brunneria

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello darkness my old friend. It's been 2 years since I was first diagnosed as diabetic so I thought it was time for an update....and it's not good news.

As a recap; in my efforts to beat diabetes I lost 6 stones following a low carb diet and after diagnosis consistently posted blood sugar readings that were normal, i.e: not in the diabetic range. There was even talk from my doctor about marking my diabetes as reversed or in remission on my medical files.

However, the consistent normal blood sugar readings led me to slowly, surely return to my old (bad) ways and the weight returned. This, in tandem with a prolonged battle with anxiety & depression (that's a whole other discussion!), meant that by December 2018 I had not only put the six stones back on but also an extra half a stone to boot!

Fast forward to January of this year and the inevitable happened; my blood sugars are back in the diabetic range :( and I was not surprised in the slightest. I'm only just into the diabetic range but it's a rocky road to be on and it's a road I must reverse out of.

I'm gutted, but what's done is done and I must once more put on my big boy pants and sort this out once and for all. To that end, since this recent diagnosis, I have jumped back on the wagon and am currently 17lbs lighter than I was on 3rd January 2019.

Just so I have it somewhere in black & white and for motivation; I started this year at 19st 13lbs 8ozs but am currently 18st 11lbs!

My next blood test is in June. Watch this space for the results :D

Love & hugs,
Smull
:)

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to set out my plans. My objectives are two fold:

1) To get my blood sugar readings back in the 'normal' range by my next test in June and

2) Lose at least 4 stones in the process. My longer term goal is to shift 7 stones by the close of the year. (I managed to lose 6 stones in 8 months in 2017 so I already know I can do it).

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to keep me on track. I must succeed this time.

Love & hugs,
Smull

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @smull I am sorry to read this, but I have to say, it is sooooo easily done!
I think we all charge into new health resolutions and bust a gut and do well, and we coast along on the glorious achievement for a while, but then things drift a bit, and a bit more, and then suddenly we are back were we started, plus a bit.

It is a classic tale, but no less frustrating when you are the person living it!

Welcome back.
The upside is that you have done it once, so you know that it is possible to do it again, and you also know where the pitfalls are.

Have a hug.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I think you should forget about weight, and put all your effort into cooking/eating food that you love and that don't increase your post meal BG much. Do it in a way that you can keep going for life.

Also as the weather is getting better, get out into the county side for some walks etc, as it makes most people feal more positive.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your progress. Just a query you did say you are getting Lidl protein rolls because they said months back they were discontinuing them no one here has been able to get them any more

Reactions: zauberflote
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello,

I just wanted to post here to tell you all of my success on the low carb diet. My name is Andy and I've been a member on here since January when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't posted anything but have been dipping in and reading posts from time to time. I've learned a lot and taken on board information on a low carb diet from here and elsewhere on the web.

I'm posting now to say thanks because today, 3 months since diagnosis, I got my HbA1c blood test results and was delighted to find that I'm back in 'normal' range. A reading of 38 mmol/mol down from 52 mmol/mol in January. It's fair to say that without the low carb diet and the information found on this forum, I would not be where I am now.

I realise I can't be complacent and I am focused on my goal to continue losing weight (I've lost 3.5 stones so far) and keep my blood sugars down. I shall be sticking around and may even post some more now I've broke my cherry!

I must say thanks to those of you that mentioned Lidl's high protein bread rolls, they allow me to eat 'normally' at work and even have a bacon butty from time to time! I'd be lost without them and am a regular at my local Lidl now.

Cheers,
Andy

Well done on your weight loss and changing your life around :)

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@smull happy to meet you! Congratulations for climbing back on the wagon! I have an adult lifetime multi-yoyo history exactly like that, sans dx. My last spinup had a random blood lab at its peak, last August, and its results taught me that I had to do something. I accept the mission but please don’t ruin my car’s sound system by destroying the evidence I quite enjoy my NPR....
You can do this. You know how to eat (I didn’t until I joined here) and you know the results. Go for it, man! We will be your team. I wanna be the one who’s good with the wiring and explosives, please

Reactions: Clivethedrive

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Emily..........

I won't share any Barry Bethell-esque photos of me holding out the waist of a pair of giant troosers but instead, I'll let my wedding ring illustrate the scale of my achievement:

Time for a new one I guess?
x

the “jeans holding” photo is the one I post in my mind. I can’t claim the type of size loss you accomplished that time (and will again!), but two jeans sizes, the largest a very tight 12 (obese US vanity-sized 12: I was a 5’7” 100 lb size 14 in 1965...) and currently new 8’s and 10-15-yr-old 10’s. Perfectly fitting and I am wearing my petite mother’s leather belt on the second notch in, right where she wore it for 15 years. Have not worn a leather belt since... 1994?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again folks and thanks for your kind words and introductions :)

I thought I'd saunter back and give y'all an update and it's both good & bad news. I was out for a meal & drinks to celebrate my birthday last Saturday. As such I was expecting to maintain (at best) on this week's weigh in. However, in the early hours of Monday morning Norovirus came to visit so I've lost another pound this week. I'm now tipping the scales at 18st 4lb.

That's a total of 23lbs lost so far. I can almost smell the 2 stones off milestone.

So a result after all....I just wouldn't recommend a vomiting bug as the way to do it.
:depressed::D

Reactions: Clivethedrive

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again!

I finally hit my first proper (mental) milestone today. I’ve now lost 2st 1lb AND got into the seventeens.

I took a photo for posterity but please ignore my weekend socks :D

‘Only’ another 4 stones to lose! I also went to the doctors yesterday and have the paperwork to get my hba1c levels checked in June. We’ll see at that point if I’ve dispatched type 2 diabetes.....again.

IMG_0235.jpg
We’re over the depressing weather (touch wood) so hopefully it’ll be easier from here on in.

Andy

nasalu

Hello again!

I finally hit my first proper (mental) milestone today. I’ve now lost 2st 1lb AND got into the seventeens.

I took a photo for posterity but please ignore my weekend socks :D

‘Only’ another 4 stones to lose! I also went to the doctors yesterday and have the paperwork to get my hba1c levels checked in June. We’ll see at that point if I’ve dispatched type 2 diabetes.....again.

View attachment 32091We’re over the depressing weather (touch wood) so hopefully it’ll be easier from here on in.

Andy
Seems like you are back in track and good luck with your new goals!

I also started eating low-carb +exercises , and would like to lower the numbers by my next doctor appointment in June :)

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like you are back in track and good luck with your new goals!

I also started eating low-carb +exercises , and would like to lower the numbers by my next doctor appointment in June :)

Good luck with that. I’m sure you’ll crack it, LCHF is definitely the way forward in our position.

As for exercise, the poor dog (a nasally challenged pug) doesn’t know what’s hit her. With the onset of good weather she’s getting a (very) long walk everyday.
:D

Hi Andy, this is remarkable but your story is very like my own. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, prescribed metformin in January this year. My HBA1C has gone from 61 to 39. All other blood results are amazing, my Cholesterol has gone from 9.1 to 5.9, my liver results which were abnormal were indicative of a fatty liver according to my GP are now in normal range. This amazing forum and website have for me helped me do this. I have lost three stone in weight and am fitter, my arthritis is better and I feel great. I'm so pleased for you and it is such a great feeling going for me, from feeling ill with high blood sugar levels thanks to carbs to now feeling better. Well done.

Sorry Andy, I'm a bit confused as replied to your original post about being diagnosed in January and didn't see the following posts. Good luck with the low carb diet and for me it has been a revelation.

Reactions: Brunneria

jclare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Andy.

Brilliant news for you and others struggling along. I was diagnosed in 2010 with T2. I have only recently managed to get my thick head around the idea that I’m not immortal and it won’t suddenly go away and I’m cured. So last January I really started the low carb (properly - not playing at it as before). I’m absolutely astounded to be able to report that I’m down from somewhere between 11 to 15 in three months to around 4.5 to 6 - every day for three weeks now. My main issue was the dawn phenomena where I always started the day above 11 whatever I did previously. Since sticking to the low carb as you have, I have pretty much got myself in the normal range - my diabetes practitioner (no doctors bother nowadays where I live) was amazed and also very happy for me. Also found lots of foods that don’t now affect my BS - I found Warburtons Low GI brown bread is great - no effect at all, so now - sandwiches, cheese on toast etc . Life has picked up very well as Indian curry has no effect either so long as I don’t have much rice and no Naan bread. Picked up the bread from Lidl and just seen it in a local Coop under the gluten free section. Chick peas are also a good staple that don’t raise my BS above 1 for very long at all. I also buy the cheap sachets of curry sauce from home and bargain - about 60p. They are pretty good and with a tin of chick peas fill the gap and don’t bother my sugars. Also found a recipe for onion bahjis using chick peas and sweet potatoes - again no or little effect. I’m actually enjoying finding out what I can have and what I have to steer clear of or have a reduced amount.

So, after 7 years and more it is still possible to sort yourself out I found. I might talk to the surgery about reducing my metformin and/or gliclazide if I keep it under control for another 6 months. Who knows - hope after all. Thanks for your post it shows what can be done and exactly what I should have done years ago. Oh, also started going to the gym twice a week plus Fitbit and counting steps - not before time either!

Last edited:

smull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, good to read of other success stories!

I’ve been keeping my head down, behaving myself and starting to reap the rewards. I’m now 2st 8lbs off and weighing in at 17st 4lbs.

My ‘Target Weight’ app tells me I’m now ‘obese’.....rather than ‘severely obese’ and I’m able to select shirts from the ‘won’t fit’ end of my wardrobe once more.

I’m visiting London in 2 weeks to see my cousin run her (16th consecutive) London Marathon and hope to have reached my own milestone; ‘3 stone lost’ by then.

Keep, keeping on folks.