Another Newbie

ranner12a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
My name is Mick and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on Monday 4th January. Great start to the New Year :shock: Must admit, it was no great shock as my father had it and my symptoms suggested this as well. Our Health Centre has been great so far. Plenty of information and support + flu and swine flu jabs.
As someone who hasn't had a day off sick in the last 8 years, I thought I was healthy. Just goes to show, you never know what's round the corner. Started new diet plan as soon as diagnosed and back to Health Centre next Monday to see how it is going. All a bit of a whirl at the moment. Not quite sunk in but I am hoping to keep smiling through all this but quite anxious.
Had a Rice cake earlier (what are they all about ?). Hoping for healthy alternatives to those.
Mick

C

catherinecherub

Hi Mick,
A warm welcome to the forum.
Have a good look around and ask as many questions as you like. Someone usually has an answer.
Hope that your team give you a meter and test strips as this is paramount in the early stages. It is the only way that you will understand which foods raise your blood sugars.

Look forward to your postings.

Catherine.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and a warm welcome,
have a good look around and ask anything you like :D

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mick,
Welcome to the forum, everyone is really helpful and friendly here, I was in your position this time last year - and am coping well with the support here.
Read all you can from both the NHS and the alternative diets. See what suits you best, people on this forum use various different approaches.
Good luck.