Another Newcastle Diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you asking me @izzzi? When I did the very low calorie phase I did notice that I really quickly moved to a state that when I laid down my stomach would collapse in so that it was below my ribs even though I still had a lot of fat under the skin (large waist). Generally my stomach went from a hard mass to a soft foam ball. I am pretty sure that meant that I had driven off all the fat from my liver and pancreas
I knew I had lost visceral fat following 6 stone weight loss on Newcastle diet, even though I still had a lot of weight to lose. This was because I had abdominal surgery, where the incision vertical down my middle and the surgeon had a good root around my abdominal cavity. I asked if my liver and internal organs looked fatty. He said that, surprisingly for a big girl like me they did not, and much of the fat I have now is subcutaneous fat. (Still want to get rid of that though!)

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and my shoes are two sizes smaller than they used to be too.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nooooooo.
I can't do that, I've just had size 9 boots fitted into my new drysuit, I'm normally 8 shoe size. but we allowed for thicker socks and a thermal oversock.
I can't shrink my feet!
I just use more than one pair of thick socks in my boots, but am having to get rid of my precious collection of dressy shoes.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Went out and bought 4 pairs of trousers a new suit and some jumpers. Should hopefully be the last time. No more wearing size 36" and 40" trousers as I have enough 32" ones now. Need jumpers now whereas before I was never cold!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Douglas I have the same - I have absolutely no fat on my hands, feet, arms, legs, bum or head and the only fat I have left is just under the skin on my torso. That is much harder to shake so it seems and I still have quite a lot of it.
I'm heading that way and colleagues are commenting that I've gone far enough! I'm 9 pounds off a BMI of 25 so I must keep going. My waist is 35" which is dangerous still. If I lie down my tummy sinks and my ribs stick out. I was thinking I would stop once I've got to BMI 25 but I think I'll have to lose more in order to reduce my waist. I'm in size 12/14. August 2013 I was 24/26. I've lost 40% of my original body weight. I'm presuming I still have a lot of fat around my organs ... Do you think? Question for Andrew or Douglas. Thanks xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jemz

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm heading that way and colleagues are commenting that I've gone far enough! I'm 9 pounds off a BMI of 25 so I must keep going. My waist is 35" which is dangerous still. If I lie down my tummy sinks and my ribs stick out. I was thinking I would stop once I've got to BMI 25 but I think I'll have to lose more in order to reduce my waist. I'm in size 12/14. August 2013 I was 24/26. I've lost 40% of my original body weight. I'm presuming I still have a lot of fat around my organs ... Do you think? Question for Andrew or Douglas. Thanks xx
I sounds like you are in the same state as me. I doubt you have a lot of fat around/in your organs but more than you have a lot of subcutaneous fat in the skin and a lot more skin than a person that was never overweight. I have 6 pounds to go until my target (just inside normal BMI). Wow 40% - I thought my 30% percentage loss was pretty good. That is just bloody amazing!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Seriously awesome! You are an inspiration!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear!!! I'm sorry. I'm getting to the stage where I feel awkward saying how much weight I've lost. I feel guilty because if I hadn't got diabetes I would still be compulsive eating. I was always the thin one in the family. Now I am again and it makes me feel bad. At work I tend to hide it because otherwise I get comments to stop now. People don't understand what a diabetic's body looks like!!
I'm proud of myself in many ways but also embarrassed somewhat that I did this to myself. I'm also glad it happened because it brought me to my senses.
Having said all of that, I'm thankful for all the members here. All posts are important, no matter how trivial.
Thanks everyone. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went out and bought 4 pairs of trousers a new suit and some jumpers. Should hopefully be the last time. No more wearing size 36" and 40" trousers as I have enough 32" ones now. Need jumpers now whereas before I was never cold!
Yup I get cold now too. I never even owned a coat for years because even when it was snowing and blowing a gale I was too warm.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear!!! I'm sorry. I'm getting to the stage where I feel awkward saying how much weight I've lost. I feel guilty because if I hadn't got diabetes I would still be compulsive eating. I was always the thin one in the family. Now I am again and it makes me feel bad. At work I tend to hide it because otherwise I get comments to stop now. People don't understand what a diabetic's body looks like!!
I'm proud of myself in many ways but also embarrassed somewhat that I did this to myself. I'm also glad it happened because it brought me to my senses.
Having said all of that, I'm thankful for all the members here. All posts are important, no matter how trivial.
Thanks everyone. :)
I really hate it when people think they have the right to comment on my weight loss, or any other aspect of my appearance! How rude of them. Take no notice. It is your body and your life. I think some people just like to have someone else fatter than them.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed since 22 Sept but seemed to be very borderline my highest BF since testing (29/10/14) has been 5.6 and recently many down in the 5s. In that period only 3 spikes after meals 2 x 8.5 & 1 x 9.2 (Pea & Ham Soup and a white bread roll), not as good as yours though, losing a couple of pounds a week down a stone in a month, low carbing,
But can anyone tell me how I read the carb info on food i.e. your 35.3g of carbs, 14.4g of which sugars, what is the sugars bit? or the bad bits?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, but I'm still unsure what is meant on the food packaging when it states the Carbs and then says of which sugars are. Does this mean that The rest of the carbs will not be converted to glucose (sugars). Am I supposed to be looking at the sugars or the carb?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for that, I understand a little more

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results Douglas - you truly are an inspiration.
I could not agree more.
Although @douglas99 may get some negative comments from the odd good intended members,he still is the "good guy " of this forum. ( not scared to be honest, give things a test run, gives good honest advice that is easy to understand )
Removed the Jeremy Clarkson bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the second week was the hurdle, always hungry (the body's reaction to a determined effort to keep below 800 calories a day). It got easier in week three, and weeks 4 and 5 were routine.
Dont label @douglass99 as the forum's Clarkson (I think Clarkson is a tool!)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the second week was the hurdle, always hungry (the body's reaction to a determined effort to keep below 800 calories a day). It got easier in week three, and weeks 4 and 5 were routine.
Dont label @douglass99 as the forum's Clarkson (I think Clarkson is a tool!)
good point, I removed that bit.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are feeling tired, and not eating your quota of calories, you're not doing yourself any favours, and, in my view, setting your body an even harder than necessary re-adjustment challenge when you finish with the diet.

My understanding is that in starvation mode, where you must either being or skirting, your body will metabolise muscle as it's easier for it to do that than cope with any fats you might be consuming. That's what happens in anorexia.

I'm sure it's a bit seductive to see how low you can go and function, but I'm unsure I see the ultra-ultra low approach you are taking as really following Prof Taylor's protocols.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you interpret the Newcastle diet as?

Yours is a variation on the theme, but going even lower calorie is, in my view, unnecessary, and even more likely to see you lose the muscle mass you have oft-stated you did not wish to do. That you are also lacking energy, but denying yourself allowable calories seems like you're making it harder than might be necessary, without any evidence you will do better as a result.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Douglas try and have more protein and you will not metabolise so much muscle. You will need to drop some of the carb you are having