Another Question - Rising Bgl After No Food

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
This morning something unexpected happened. My BGL rose 16% despite me eating nothing in between tests.
I had a waking BGL of 5.3 mmol. All fine.
I didn't have breakfast straight away because I was going for a fasting blood test (my diagnosis came from a medical so my NHS HCP's wanted to do their own initial test).
After the appointment, I was running late - I didn't get time to have breakfast so skipped it (this is not my plan generally - don't tell me off please).

I wanted to do a before and after test on lunch (c12.45) so I tested again pre-lunch and my BGL had gone up to 6.2.
Should this happen? Should I be concerned? Post lunch it was up again to 6.8, but only a bit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you were rushing around a bit getting stressed which is known to raise your blood sugar levels. Also nothing wrong with missing breakfast. I have for the last 2 1/2 years no ill effects for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not at all unusual. In fact, it is very common.

Have you discovered how our livers work yet? One of its jobs is to store spare glucose and then dump it in the blood stream when our bodies feel we need extra glucose for the activities we are doing. It saves our lives! You were rushing about, gettinhg to the surgery and back, using energy, which was fairly low in your blood stream, so your liver helped out.

In addition to this, you were probably stressed and anxious. This also causes rises in blood sugar levels.

Worry not, even with all that, your levels were good.

EDIT I also miss breakfast, every day.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree rushing around and stress does raise the bgs! Probably what happened in your case.
I find these days with my very low carb keto way of eating rarely giving me rises any more that any rises I have are due to stress (eg up this afternoon preparing for a big conference), rushing around, illness and significant exercise. With stress it usually settles back quite quickly when calm down. If I do something like mindfulness for 10 mins can usually bring it down.
You’re also at quite an early stage and readings especially morning ones can remain stubbornly high for a few months for lots of people while our bodies adapt.