Another Type 1 joins the forums <3

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Hi gang,

My name is Andrew and I'm a T1D. Starting as a T2 11 years ago I finally upgrade to full T1 status about 1 year ago.

I'm new to these forums, but not new to diabetes. My goal on these forums is to chat to some good peeps, and see if I can help others.

My actual current goal is a Keto diet or at least an LCHF diet. This has a potential to be dangerous for T1D in the first few weeks, but with extra vigilant monitoring, life-changing goodness can be achieved (reduced insulin requirements and burning body fat). I'll keep updating with how it's going (day 4 and I have been taking less insulin, have more alertness/get-up-and-go, feel less tired, less hungry all the time, feel happier and all round good feels).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi gang,

My name is Andrew and I'm a T1D. Starting as a T2 11 years ago I finally upgrade to full T1 status about 1 year ago.

I'm new to these forums, but not new to diabetes. My goal on these forums is to chat to some good peeps, and see if I can help others.

My actual current goal is a Keto diet or at least an LCHF diet. This has a potential to be dangerous for T1D in the first few weeks, but with extra vigilant monitoring, life-changing goodness can be achieved (reduced insulin requirements and burning body fat). I'll keep updating with how it's going (day 4 and I have been taking less insulin, have more alertness/get-up-and-go, feel less tired, less hungry all the time, feel happier and all round good feels).
Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum:)

For your info, it is impossible to progress from T2D to T1D, unless you were misdiagnosed. From what you've said, it sounds more than likely that you are a T2 diabetic who has recently started on insulin therapy? That in itself is very different from T1D.

Anyway, you will certainly learn a lot from the members on here and we look forward to seeing you around!

Reactions: Endydo and Type1Bri

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Interesting. I was originally told I a T2D and was either losing sensitivity to insulin or not producing enough. I was on Metformin and another pill for several years. Then after a while, I was having to supplement this with Insulin injections. And finally a couple of years ago I came of the tablets and went onto insulin only. And told my pancreas cannot produce its own insulin.

So I might have been misdiagnosed, or lied to about what I am now.

I was either a Type 1 to start with, with a slow break down of the pancreas, and thus the amount of insulin I was producing got less and less.
Or I am a Type 2 because my body can't use the insulin I provide.

The doc did say that I was an unusual case :***:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I was originally told I a T2D and was either losing sensitivity to insulin or not producing enough. I was on Metformin and another pill for several years. Then after a while, I was having to supplement this with Insulin injections. And finally a couple of years ago I came of the tablets and went onto insulin only. And told my pancreas cannot produce its own insulin.

So I might have been misdiagnosed, or lied to about what I am now.

I was either a Type 1 to start with, with a slow break down of the pancreas, and thus the amount of insulin I was producing got less and less.
Or I am a Type 2 because my body can't use the insulin I provide.

The doc did say that I was an unusual case :***:
It would seem like you are a T2 on insulin then, but I'm no doctor - obviously - and I'm not disputing your diagnosis. 10/11 years is an extremely slow on-set for a T1.5/LADA; I'm yet to hear of one so drawn out. But maybe some of the T1.5's on here can add their first hand experience.

T2's can suffer pancreatic damage over time to the point where the destruction is so great, that insulin injections are ultimately required. That destruction is however in no way related to antibodies or the host's immune system, and that is where the major difference between T1 and T2 lies.

But who's to know unless you have the relevant C-peptide and GAD antibody tests. Nevertheless, enjoy the forum:)

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @GrantGam . I'll make point of checking with my doc. It's quite possible they don't even know this!!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @GrantGam . I'll make point of checking with my doc. It's quite possible they don't even know this!!
It's always peace of mind for yourself. The sooner you know which beast you're up against, the easier it is to maintain the upper hand.

The most important thing though, is that you're getting along fine and doing well with your diabetes management:)

Reactions: azure and Struma

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It took me around 8 years to progress from the wrong T2 diagnosis to needing insulin. I should have started insulin around a year earlier but my GP refused. I was always slim and had lost weight unexpectedly at diagnosis which are key LADA signs. So, in my case it took around 7 years with 3 tablets and low-carb holding it at bay during that time.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi gang,

Hi Andrew. Congrats on your promotion to T1 :)

The keto diet sounds interesting.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Andrew. Congrats on your promotion to T1 :)

The keto diet sounds interesting.
Cheers Dad :joyful:
I've now self diagnosed myself to LADA. I now believe I was given the wrong info. Shout out to @GrantGam and @azure for the great information

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi Andrew and a thousand welcomes to you.

Type 1 of 43 years here and diagnosed aged 6.
I've always been confused over the different "types " of diabetes as i've had it from 6 years old.
I used to think a type 2 was running a bit slow making insulin and needed a bit of help with tablets and then when it gives up the ghost you become a type 1.(I would never use the expression" to progress")
Its not until you join a forum like this you realise how much more there is to learn but in a good way as people here are really very nice indeed and the knowledge, is at times, mind blowing.

Welcome again and good luck

Tony