Antibiotics... latest news

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So now its not deemed as necessary to take the full 7 day course.... but they cant confirm as not enough research.

Doesnt this just make you doubt all advice from medics?? It does me. The manufacturers make up the "take the full course"... so what made them say that in the first place?

I'm doubting anything now.

Then theres diesel cars today as well.. years ago their fuel was cheaper and their tax. Now another uturn saying unhealthy...

Crazy... I'm a doubting Tom now for everything.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I read that. It seems one side of the argument is that we should stop taking them when we feel better because the more we take the more resistant they will become to bugs. The other side says to take the whole course because the infection may well still be there even if we feel better.

Reactions: donnellysdogs
D

Deleted Account

I read it as there is a theory that it is not necessary to take the full course so they want to do some further research.
The advice until that research is complete is to continue to take the full course of any anti-biotics.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And of course the advice was that you only needed to bolus with Novorapid 5 minutes before eating.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So now its not deemed as necessary to take the full 7 day course.... but they cant confirm as not enough research.

Suppose it makes sense, don't the antibiotics remain in the system for a day or two after stopping taking them, so if you feel better and stop taking them they are still in the system and working away.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And they wonder why people are switching off every time they hear 'New research shows...'

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And they wonder why people are switching off every time they hear 'New research shows...'

Thats me!! Even taking my turmeric (long before recent people jumped on benefits of it), I'm even beginning to doubt whether this recent research is right though... I hope so but Ijyst dont believe anything now.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Too many conflicting news reports, have made me resistant to them, could be the answer is not to read so many of them.

S

serenity648

As someone who got septicemia recently, had mega antibiotics, which still didnt see it off,, and then it came back and i was on mega antibiotics for another two weeks, I find the advice frightening. Have we all forgotten that some infections kill? and recurr if the initial bugs arent totally zapped? Its not enough to feel better, all the bugs have to be destroyed. I needed three goes with AB's last time i got pneumonia too.

I am really scared that the blood poisoning and abcess will return a third time and watch my now scarred area like a hawk for the first sign of redness and swelling.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As someone who got septicemia recently, had mega antibiotics, which still didnt see it off,, and then it came back and i was on mega antibiotics for another two weeks, I find the advice frightening. Have we all forgotten that some infections kill? and recurr if the initial bugs arent totally zapped? Its not enough to feel better, all the bugs have to be destroyed. I needed three goes with AB's last time i got pneumonia too.

I am really scared that the blood poisoning and abcess will return a third time and watch my now scarred area like a hawk for the first sign of redness and swelling.

I too was very seriously ill from poisoning from having seroma drained last year. Also relied on heaviest antibiotics and thankfully survived.

Its just all reaearch etc and news is getting me nowadays that I dont belueve anything!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bit academic for me it's very rare for a doctor to prescribe antibiotics for me and even rarer for me to take them if they did.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from when I was on chemo when I spent 4 days in hospital with neutropenia on an antibiotic drip, it must be 15 years since I was last prescribed any, maybe longer. I seem to have a very good immune system. Pity the chemo killed it off for those 4 days! It recovered pretty quickly.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Problem for me not allowed most antibiotics and immune system suppressed a while back while in hospital on call doctor wrote me up for antibiotic consultant got very agitated next day when she found out. her rather extreme reaction impressed on me antibiotic a definite no no.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The above post may seem off topic just trying to say I already live in a world without antibiotics and it's a pretty scary one.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The above post may seem off topic just trying to say I already live in a world without antibiotics and it's a pretty scary one.

That is interesting though... do you do anything naturally specific to build up your immunity (relying on flawed research-lol!!). Not just for diabetes but to keep your immunity built up?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm on two different meds in order to suppress my immune system so as to keep it from attacking my neuromuscular system. I just have to avoid infections if I get an infection then it's off to the doctors or A and E. On my doctors system I am flagged for immediate attention when I ask to see a doctor.