Type 1 Antibody test at diagnosis?

thomc_82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I read about MODY for the first time, yesterday; I had never heard of it before.
I was diagnosed 9 years ago with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 27. For about three years, prior to being diagnosed, I'd experienced what I now know as diabetes-type symptoms - blurry vision, had to drink isotonic lucozade each day to feel "normal", etc.
Looking back, I reckoned that I must have been Type 2 first for a few years, then Type 1. But, after reading about MODY, I'm not so sure any more - given the long, slow dive into Type 1 symptoms, and my age at diagnosis.

Does anyone know if antibody tests are carried out by the NHS to ascertain the type of diabetes? Would they know for sure that I indeed have an auto-immune disease?

I'd really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Thom

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sometimes it depends on how you are diagnosed.
What happened at diagnosis for you? Were you hospitalised? On your notes are you described as T1 or say T1 antibody positive/negative?

thomc_82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed after a blood test. My sugar reading was 16 and I was given metformin. I wasn't given any glucose monitor or anything like that. I had a bad reaction to the metformin, and since I had no way of checking my blood sugar level, I assumed I must've been low. I panicked and drank almost a full bottle of lucozade (I had no clue what to do), so ended up in hospital that day with a reading of 34. Next day, I was given a different tablet and it didn't work. My reading hovered around 15 the whole time. So, the next day I was started on Levemir and Novorapid insulin. I have never seen my record. I was just told "you have diabetes, Type 1". No mention of why or how I became diabetic, or whether it was a genetic mutation or auto-immune.
By the way, I live in Northern Ireland - not sure if that makes a difference to the procedures.
Thanks for you reply!

thomc_82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consulted a doctor today. He said I was considered Type 2 in the beginning - that was not told to me at the time. He's going to refer me to get tested for antibodies and a gene test. So, hopefully I can finally find out for sure if my diabetes is an autoimmune issue, or indeed a gene mutation.

Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: Alison Campbell